I am from Canada and I'm visiting the U.S. So i've been searching threads and just haven't found a straight answer to this question.

If I turn roaming off in the U.S can I still use BBM if I am connected to Wi-fi?

I went to mobile network options and set data services ON/ while roaming OFF. I do not have a Data Plan but do have BBM enabled. I've searched the web and some people have been able to use BBM while on Wi-fi. Any help is appreciated.
    08-27-11 05:52 PM
    Yup it works. Just hope you have good wifi connection. The hotel I was in was sketchy and a bunch of messages got delayed
    08-27-11 06:05 PM
    Yes you can use BBM while on wifi.
    08-27-11 06:06 PM
    Yup it works. Just hope you have good wifi connection. The hotel I was in was sketchy and a bunch of messages got delayed
    How did you have all your connections set up? was your mobile network completely off? and how long did it take for the messages to receive?
    08-27-11 06:16 PM
    You can access emails and BBM over wifi. I have used it often however, I had to turnoff data services and rely solely on wifi. If the wifi connection is good, then you will get your messages promptly.
    08-27-11 06:21 PM
    You can access emails and BBM over wifi. I have used it often however, I had to turnoff data services and rely solely on wifi. If the wifi connection is good, then you will get your messages promptly.
    again would the fact that I am in another country and have roaming off have anything to do with it? also i do not have a data plan, just have BBM enabed
    08-27-11 06:27 PM
    I have done this too. On a trip I was on a few months ago I stayed in Arizona but crossed the border into Mexico every day. I had a data add on for US but nothing for Mexico. I would manually select a US network, and when I crossed into Mexico the signal would be lost and I would get the SOS symbol. When at my customer's facility in Mexico I used a Wi-fi they provided for visitors. I was able to use BBM fine, BIS email as well. I could turn off data services while roaming as well.
    08-27-11 06:28 PM
    I'm from Canada and use bbm in England and in US through wifi. All the time actually because of work. It's works the same.
    08-27-11 06:40 PM
    I'm from Canada and use bbm in England and in US through wifi. All the time actually because of work. It's works the same.
    for some odd reason its not working for me, maybe its because I dont have a data plan? I also do not receive e-mails through my phone I have not set that up.
    08-27-11 06:42 PM
    Hmm I was under the impression you werent able to use BIS over wifi, but looks like the majority has spoken!
    08-27-11 07:45 PM
    You do need a data plan I believe so you get the service books, but once you have those Wi-fi should work.
    08-31-11 08:09 PM
    Do you use BBM in Canada?

Try turning your mobile network off, then(and only then) turn your data services on.

Don't forgot to switch data off again before you turn your mobile network back on or else big charges might occur.
    08-31-11 08:19 PM
    Have the carrier add the data service, then it'll work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-11 11:23 PM
    BIS data for RIM apps will work over WiFi. I have even used it via WiFi over a satellite link from an offshore oil installation where there was no cellular signal whatsoever (satellite link from the LAN instead of ADSL or cable).

If you disable data you might find you also lose data by wifi. If that happens you will get a popup telling you it is disabled. Don't worry, the WiFi service takes priority over cellular when both are connected - simply wait for the WiFi to make a full BIS connection (WiFi logo goes from grey to bright white) and your data will travel free over WiFi.
    09-01-11 05:11 AM
    BIS data for RIM apps will work over WiFi. I have even used it via WiFi over a satellite link from an offshore oil installation where there was no cellular signal whatsoever (satellite link from the LAN instead of ADSL or cable).

If you disable data you might find you also lose data by wifi. If that happens you will get a popup telling you it is disabled. Don't worry, the WiFi service takes priority over cellular when both are connected - simply wait for the WiFi to make a full BIS connection (WiFi logo goes from grey to bright white) and your data will travel free over WiFi.
    I tried that over both Os 5 and 6, it didn't work even with the mobile network off. Data service needs to be on for that to even go through, but the wireless radio needs to be off.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-11 02:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD