I guess that since AT&T is GSM and Verizon is not you cannot use messenger between users. True? Or is there something I'm missing?
    04-25-11 12:38 PM
    BBM works on any device with any carrier as long as one has a BlackBerry data plan.

I chat with VZW users all the time (plus folks from many countries with many other carriers).
    04-25-11 12:43 PM
    I chat with people around the world too but they all have GSM service. (I have GSM service in Prague and AT&T in the US) Verizon on the other hand is not GSM and I thought that because of this you cannot use the BBM service.

On another note, are all the US models locked? I mean, if I travel to Europe, can I change SIM cards?
    Last edited by johnprague; 04-25-11 at 12:53 PM.
    04-25-11 12:51 PM
    I chat with people around the world too but they all have GSM service. Verizon on the other hand is not GSM and I thought that because of this you cannot use the BBM service.

On another note, are all the US models locked? I mean, if I travel to Europe, can I change SIM cards?
    VZW has BIS and BES plans. In fact all customers who use BlackBerry on VZW are required to have BlackBerry data plans. The data plan is what makes BBM, push email, etc. operate. As long as the data plan is properly provisioned, the customer has access to RIM's servers, and the features work. The type of network has no affect on the functionality.

If a VZW user travels to Europe, he needs a world phone, such as the 9630, 9550, or 9650. Those phones are dual CDMA/GSM. They use CDMA on VZW's network, but they use GSM in Europe. He can either pay for an international data plan from VZW (the SIM card from VZW offers international roaming) or have his device unlocked and purchase a SIM card and BIS plan from a carrier in the country he is visiting. If he is a customer in good standing, VZW will provide him with a free unlocking code.
    Last edited by lak611; 04-25-11 at 01:03 PM.
    04-25-11 12:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD