I asked this in the T-mobile thread, however I find T-mobile's customer service in store and through the phone line don't know much about this idea, and if they do, they aren't telling me diddly squat.

I know full well that you cannot use BBM or native apps over wifi without subscribing to BIS. That's cool, I'm fine with that knowledge. However, my Blackberry works GREAT with my $5.00 monthly generic unlimited data, and I don't want to sacrifice that to pay $25.00 more a month.

What I am willing to do, however, is to get one month of Pay-As-You-Go BIS, and activate my PIN+email, use it for a month, and then cancel the Pay-As-You-Go plan somewhere down the line. In essence, paying for one month of BIS for activation and service books, and then switching back to my contracted SIM card and continuing to use that with my generic data and voice plan.

If I do this... will the service books STAY on the phone to where I can access BBM through wifi/TCP (I've heard that this sometimes works) or, will BBM/Facebook/Twitter constantly check for server connection, realize that I stopped paying for BIS after a month, and remove them, leaving me high and dry again?

I've gotten conflicting accounts of this from the internet, a ton of "I don't know"s from actual customer service reps, and I really just wanna know once and for all if I could pay a one time charge and get through the activation stage or if that idea to bypass the $30 a month is a total wash.

Yeah,yeah,yeah, so I use Blackberry without BIS. Everything works! The only reason I'm even wondering about this is that I like experimenting and I thought I'd find out.

So, anyone tried this or something similar before?
    10-10-10 05:11 PM
    if you get an answer let me know, a friend of mine is in the same situation.
    10-10-10 10:02 PM
    Okay, it's been a week. Still no ideas, answers?
    10-18-10 07:17 PM
    The service books might stay, but the relay will close your connection to the RIM NOC when you stop paying for the feature. Thus stopping your BBM and anything else that uses the NOC.
    10-18-10 10:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD