I got my Storm2 yesterday and I'm really enjoying it. To my dismay, the BBM it came loaded with was 4.7 and not the new 5.0.
    Is there an issue with BBM 5.0 with the OS on the Storm2? I really want it back but I'm afraid to download.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-09 06:27 AM
    Nope, go right over to blackberry.com on your browser and redownload. It works fine.
    10-29-09 06:32 AM
    Am I the only one who thinks it odd that it didn't come preloaded?

10-29-09 06:39 AM
    Remember: BBM 5 was only recently released

These were manufactured, flashed, packaged up, and sent to the distribution warehouse over a few month period and they all get the same software load.

BBM 5 just wasn't available, yet, and they're not going to unbox every phone and reflash for a single OTA capable software update.
    10-29-09 07:22 AM
    Ok ok. I will accept that. Just seemed odd to me.

10-29-09 08:23 AM
    Seemed odd to me as well
    10-29-09 08:23 AM
    i upgraded mine and tried it out with a friend who has a blackberry. Weird thing is I was using BBM to text and he was getting it on his regular sms option. We are both verizon so is BBM any different? I thought it would have some sort of specal feature not available thru regular texting.
    10-29-09 08:43 AM
    odd mine came with 5.0.0.33 right out of the box.
    10-29-09 08:58 AM
    yep^^^^^^^
    10-29-09 10:32 AM
    I bought 2 yesterday. 1 came with BBM 5.0 the other came with 4.7 lol. Go figure.
    10-29-09 12:36 PM
    How do you show which version is installed?
    10-29-09 12:55 PM
    Mine came with 4.7 as well....
    I could tell since it didn't look like BBM 5 on my other Blackberry.
    Last edited by mbs; 10-29-09 at 02:27 PM.
    10-29-09 02:03 PM
    i upgraded mine and tried it out with a friend who has a blackberry. Weird thing is I was using BBM to text and he was getting it on his regular sms option. We are both verizon so is BBM any different? I thought it would have some sort of specal feature not available thru regular texting.
    Whew, glad I'm not the only one experiencing this. When someone who is on my BBM contact list sends me an SMS, it comes through as BBM message. I don't really like that. So, I proceeded to delete BBM from my phone and guess what? It completely screwed up my "Messages" folder. I was unable to open the folder at all, even after battery pulls, etc. I kept getting a NullPointer Exception (or whatever those errors are). So I reinstalled BBM and just didn't add any contacts and the problem was fixed. I've got to think that's a bug, though, right?
    10-29-09 02:40 PM
    I bought 2 yesterday. 1 came with BBM 5.0 the other came with 4.7 lol. Go figure.
    Same here.
    10-29-09 02:46 PM
    Yeah, in BBM if you have a contact, John Doe, for example.
    And on your phone contacts, John Doe is in there also. If his pin is in the phone contact information on your phone then BBM will link the two and thats why you get text notifications on your BBM.

If you go into your contacts list in bbm>highlight john doe>hit blackberry button to bring up menu> select "remove contacts link" that will delete the link between your phone's contacts and your bbm contacts.

I did this and now when i get an sms from someone who is also on my bbm contacts, the notification goes to my sms folder, and not my bbm, now
    Last edited by SteveOStorm; 10-29-09 at 02:54 PM.
    10-29-09 02:50 PM
    Yeah, in BBM if you have a contact, John Doe, for example.
    And on your phone contacts, John Doe is in there also. If his pin is in the phone contact information on your phone then BBM will link the two and thats why you get text notifications on your BBM.

If you go into your contacts list in bbm>highlight john doe>hit blackberry button to bring up menu> select "remove contacts link" that will delete the link between your phone's contacts and your bbm contacts.

I did this and now when i get an sms from someone on my bbm contacts, the notification goes to my sms folder, and not my bbm.
    great information, thanks buddy
    10-29-09 02:54 PM
    my blackberry told me to update my bbm and it cleared all of my contacts. how can i get them back?
    02-02-10 02:11 AM
    How do you show which version is installed?
    If you have display pictures, groups, or status updates, you have 5.0.

If you have a bunch of pins/names with no pictures next to them, you've got 4.7.

EDIT: or go into Options > Applications > Add-Ons > BBM and it should say the version there.
    02-02-10 04:06 AM
    my blackberry told me to update my bbm and it cleared all of my contacts. how can i get them back?
    Unless you backed up, I dont think you can.

The newer BBM 5.0 allows you to back up contacts now. So although it may be frustrating its probably best just re-adding contacts again on BBM5. I can honestly say having the function to back BBM contacts on device or email has helped me out a couple of times now.
    02-02-10 08:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD