Has anyone else been getting an unusually large amount of spam BBM requests lately? I haven't given out my PIN to ANYONE since I got my new phone, but I've been getting a ton of BBM requests from Asian-based users over the past couple days (and they usually have long usernames with a bunch of symbols like hearts and crosses in them).

I'm assuming it's related to an app I've dowloaded lately and I'm in the middle of checking my security settings, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same problem...maybe we can work out which app is broadcasting our PINs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-11 04:53 AM
    there have been quite a few of these threads popping up lately! Did you buy your bb new or from someone-the theory to this is, if you bought it from someone, that someone could be having people they've had on their bbm trying to request him/her back without realizing this person is no longer on bbm anymore. IF you got your bb brand new, then I would tend to think it could be an app that requires your pin for verification etc & its getting put out there.....which would really suck!

Just my .02 cents

01-17-11 09:32 AM
    It could also be a "typo" person A says "my pin is <your PIN>, invite me to BBM" Person B sends the invite (to your phone), Person A doesn't get it and says "try it again" rinse and repeat.

You could try refusing the request -- that might help.
    01-17-11 09:54 AM
    It could also be a "typo" person A says "my pin is <your PIN>, invite me to BBM" Person B sends the invite (to your phone), Person A doesn't get it and says "try it again" rinse and repeat.

You could try refusing the request -- that might help.
    very good point Tiassa!

01-17-11 09:57 AM
    I bought the phone brand new from my local T-Mobile store. The requests seem to have died down for now, but I got about 40 of them overnight (I'm glad I had it in Bedside mode with my alerts muted!) Most of them seemed to have come from Asia and the Middle East as far as I could tell. I uninstalled a couple games that required questionable security access, so I'll see if that helps.

If worse comes to worse, I'll uninstall BBM for a while, since I rarely use it anyway. I still need to Google my PIN just to see if it somehow got online.

(And of course, while I was typing this I got yet another request. Arrg!)

01-17-11 04:14 PM
    I bought the phone brand new from my local T-Mobile store. The requests seem to have died down for now, but I got about 40 of them overnight (I'm glad I had it in Bedside mode with my alerts muted!) Most of them seemed to have come from Asia and the Middle East as far as I could tell. I uninstalled a couple games that required questionable security access, so I'll see if that helps.

If worse comes to worse, I'll uninstall BBM for a while, since I rarely use it anyway. I still need to Google my PIN just to see if it somehow got online.

(And of course, while I was typing this I got yet another request. Arrg!)

40! omg! That's just crazy! Well uninstalling Bbm would solve your prob especially if your not really using it for now, you can always re-install it. I would def do the google thing for your pin to see if it somehow got 'put out there'. Also, some of the games you got rid of may help too. I'm sorry you have to deal with that, it really sucks, especially it being a BRAND new device! I hope everything works out for you

01-17-11 05:20 PM
    sorry cant say that I have...
    01-17-11 08:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD