Im new to this BBM stuff and i have a blackberry curve for verizon with a limited amount of txt. I have a BBM account, but i have friends that don't even own a blackberry. i want to know if i can put my friends cell phone number as a saved contact in my BBM and that way ill be able to txt them from my BBM to their cell phone. i want to know if that will use up my limited txt or not. i reallyy want to know if its possible because i use AIM and its seriously slow ! and it gets annoyingg ! can anybody helpp !
    04-19-10 08:25 PM
    No, you can't text from BBM. BBM uses data, and only works between BlackBerry users. MMS may be an option for you, if your friends can do that. MMS also uses your data plan and won't count against your texts.
    04-19-10 08:30 PM
    No you can't JeffH is exactly right, it only works between blackberrys

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-10 08:31 PM
    oh well so much for that thought thanks anyway guys i appreciate it
    04-19-10 08:57 PM
    Friends who don't use BlackBerry smartphones will probably be bad influences in other ways, too. Best to cut them loose before they drag you down.
    04-19-10 09:01 PM
    LOL, Jeff!

Another option is to have those bad apples use AIM (which is slow as you mentioned), Google Talk or they can use their SMS to email you. That way you'll be using data. For example if i want to send a message without using SMS to a VZW customer i send an email to 1235551212@vtext.com. It counts as data for me and sends a text to their phone. There's a thread on here with all the carriers SMS email addresses.

Read the thread below!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f69/sen...ssaging-13537/

04-19-10 09:17 PM
    No, you can't text from BBM. BBM uses data, and only works between BlackBerry users. MMS may be an option for you, if your friends can do that. MMS also uses your data plan and won't count against your texts.
    MMS is included with SMS in 'Messaging' plans on VZW. So if OP has 250 messages, that includes SMS and MMS. It will deplete their limited bucket of messages.

04-19-10 09:34 PM
    MMS is included with SMS in 'Messaging' plans on VZW. So if OP has 250 messages, that includes SMS and MMS. It will deplete their limited bucket of messages.

Thanks for the info. I'll correct my advice in the future. Hopefully the OP will come back and see it as well.
    04-19-10 10:11 PM
    LOL, Jeff!

Another option is to have those bad apples use AIM (which is slow as you mentioned), Google Talk or they can use their SMS to email you. That way you'll be using data. For example if i want to send a message without using SMS to a VZW customer i send an email to 1235551212@vtext.com. It counts as data for me and sends a text to their phone. There's a thread on here with all the carriers SMS email addresses.

Read the thread below!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f69/sen...ssaging-13537/

I've been doing this to bypass messaging but whenever I send out an email from the blackberry email address the return address on every cell text shows up "garbled" where it basically contains a set of extra characters that prevent the person from doing a direct reply to the message.

Is there a way to fix that from my end on the blackberry with some kind of settings or maybe using a different app instead of the default email app?
    04-20-10 10:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD