05-05-11 05:25 PM
31 12
tools
    I was surprised to received close to 250 euros roaming charge for the use of BB Messanger after visit in south of France. I was informed that Monaco Telecom is treating BBM-messages as internet surfing and not as data exchange. Has anyone else been charged this, is there a workaround or is this the end of the FREE BBM?
    04-11-11 05:16 PM
    BBM has ALWAYS been treated as data usage
    04-11-11 05:26 PM
    Anything besides SMS or Calls is DATA

Period.
    adi-m likes this.
    04-11-11 05:28 PM
    Not anymore, I can show you my mobile bill and it shows roaming. When asked from my operator they told me that I have been charged BBM. Did not go online separately at all so it makes sense. What should I do?
    04-11-11 06:28 PM
    that's probably the data roaming charges from when you went to france verses where you actually live. that'd be like if I went to canada and didn't add an international plan to account for this as I am in the united states
    04-11-11 06:31 PM
    that's probably the data roaming charges from when you went to france verses where you actually live. that'd be like if I went to canada and didn't add an international plan to account for this as I am in the united states
    this. I am not sure about how it is in Europe, but in America international roaming is extra and there are plans for that. Cheap plans.
    els822 likes this.
    04-11-11 06:40 PM
    Not anymore, I can show you my mobile bill and it shows roaming. When asked from my operator they told me that I have been charged BBM. Did not go online separately at all so it makes sense. What should I do?

How often do you go out of your own country?
    was this the first time?

BBM uses data, as does App world, all data that you use while traveling internationally you will be billed heavily for unless you get a plan to cover it.
    04-11-11 06:46 PM
    thats why it says in your mobile settings, data on/off? off while roaming?

Keep it off, or, while roaming use wifi(free) and you can bbm all you want
    04-11-11 08:10 PM
    messanger, are you resident in europe, if so you cannot be charged more than 40 in data in one month, if euro legislation,

i was always told that bbm is free if roaming, all other data is chargable, but there again its dependent on your carrier and country
    04-11-11 08:28 PM
    messanger, are you resident in europe, if so you cannot be charged more than 40 in data in one month, if euro legislation,

i was always told that bbm is free if roaming, all other data is chargable, but there again its dependent on your carrier and country
    BBM has never been free when roaming, it's a "free" service but data charges apply.
    If you only sent text bbm though the charges will be quite small, sending photos will see the data usage go up.

I doubt the OP got that big bill by just using bbm though, calls and sms are not free even to receive when roaming.

I've noticed this marketing in UK in the last year or so, they tell you you get "free" bbm with a blackberry contract, where bbm has always been free, I think phones4u started this nonsense.
    04-12-11 06:25 AM
    Maybe as I am on business contract that I'm not charged for bbm whilst abroad.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-12-11 07:31 AM
    Maybe as I am on business contract that I'm not charged for bbm whilst abroad.

Some uk business contracts have a bit of roaming data included, 5/10mb, bbm will never take you past that, only if you send lots of files/photos etc

04-12-11 08:12 AM
    I doubt the OP got that big bill by just using bbm though, calls and sms are not free even to receive when roaming.
    Wonder how much data you phone uses without you even knowing anymore... with apps that automatic run in the background always updating information like weather and location... And what if you forget and leave something running in the background that might continue pull new data down??
    04-12-11 08:31 AM
    Wonder how much data you phone uses without you even knowing anymore... with apps that automatic run in the background always updating information like weather and location... And what if you forget and leave something running in the background that might continue pull new data down??
    Lol, if you leave the weather app running and updating every 5 minutes you'll be in for a big shock

04-12-11 08:35 AM
    Hahaha or something like Twitter...
    04-13-11 01:38 AM
    thats why it says in your mobile settings, data on/off? off while roaming?

Keep it off, or, while roaming use wifi(free) and you can bbm all you want
    ....you can't bbm through wifi. wifi doesn't use/acess the bb.net apn
    04-17-11 03:15 AM
    ....you can't bbm through wifi. wifi doesn't use/acess the bb.net apn
    Yes you can, I've done it many times. Once the wifi is connescted all bis connections will go trough wifi not the carrier.

04-17-11 03:22 AM
    Yes you can, I've done it many times. Once the wifi is connescted all bis connections will go trough wifi not the carrier.

How is that possible? I want that!
    04-17-11 04:28 AM
    How is that possible? I want that!
    If still need to have a blaclberry data plan for it to work over wifi

04-17-11 04:54 AM
    If still need to have a blaclberry data plan for it to work over wifi

Correct. I even use e-mail over WiFi when abroad... and am not charged a penny/cent.
    04-17-11 06:38 AM
    You need to have a BIS Plan to use it abroad. However you could use it over WiFi on a prepaid SIM I believe... without needing a BIS Plan that is.
    04-17-11 07:00 AM
    You need to have a BIS Plan to use it abroad. However you could use it over WiFi on a prepaid SIM I believe... without needing a BIS Plan that is.
    Well, that's still a data plan. Is any payg blackberry allowing roaming? I know orange and tmobile don't but what about vodafone and o2?

04-17-11 07:13 AM
    This could have to do with this Is a pin message free on your BB?
    And also do you guys know any websites that could have The blackberry 8703e desktop software with usb?
    04-17-11 09:28 AM
    This could have to do with this Is a pin message free on your BB?
    And also do you guys know any websites that could have The blackberry 8703e desktop software with usb?
    8703 can be updated to OS4.5 and then it will work with the latest DM

04-17-11 09:49 AM
    Actually it should work anyway, I had a 8707v that can't be updated to OS4.5 and it was recognized by the latest DM

04-17-11 09:50 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD