Can't find a similar thread about this, and it's about the latest 6.x leak on the 9700.

With the 5.x versions for 9700, the "Scan a Group Barcode" feature of BBM would scan any QR code (not just bbm, but URLs and text), making a 3rd-party QR reader obsolete.

But with the latest version of bbm for 9700 (5.0.1.41, which is what I think I had on the 5.x version prior to this) just beeps and exits. BBM barcodes will try to add the user, but QR links won't prompt me to open them.

Is this a new "feature"? Am I the only one with this problem?

Tried: Battery pull, reload OS
    Not tried: previous bbm versions on OS6
    11-05-10 07:35 PM
    My barcode reader never worked on my 9700. The only thing it would do was go into in infinite loop of flashing and required a battery pull. Every OS update did not fix this issue.
    11-05-10 07:41 PM
    Odd, K Bear, because this is the first problem I've ever had with the QR reader in BBM.
    11-05-10 07:47 PM
    K-Bear, if it was flashing when you tried to scan barcodes, that means you have the flash set to on in the video camera settings.

Worked for me in 5.0, but I can't seem to scan any barcodes after installing the 6.0 leak. Believe I mentioned that in my reply to your visitor message.
    11-05-10 07:52 PM
    Believe I mentioned that in my reply to your visitor message.
    So you did. Don't know how I missed that. Might have been the midterms frying my brain.

There aren't any worthwhile QR apps for the 9700. I've tried dozens and they all pale in comparison to the QR reader in BBM.

Maybe I'll search for an older version.
    11-05-10 07:56 PM
    Well, dern. Looks like The Jared Company is on top of the problem. QR scanner that doesn't require you take the picture.

BlackBerry App World - QR Code Scanner Pro
    11-05-10 08:10 PM
    I got the newest version of BBM today and it's fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-10 09:31 PM
    I got the newest version of BBM today and it's fine.

So scanning this QR code takes you to bbc?

In BBM mine just beeps and doesn't go anywhere. But I suppose it's because you're still using 5.x
    11-05-10 09:44 PM
    I just bought a new Torch, and I have the same issue. Any QR code read in BBM beeps and knocks me back to the BBM main menu.

Very unfortunate.

**EDIT**
    After some Googling, it looks like the "read-anything" feature has been moved to the App World.

Open 'App World'
    Blackberry Key, 'Scan a barcode'

And we're back in business!

Why they would break the BBM way of doing things that works since BB 4.4, I have no idea.
    Last edited by rcdncn; 11-06-10 at 02:10 PM.
    TheChinaMan and etoile like this.
    11-06-10 02:01 PM
    I just bought a new Torch, and I have the same issue. Any QR code read in BBM beeps and knocks me back to the BBM main menu.

Very unfortunate.

**EDIT**
    After some Googling, it looks like the "read-anything" feature has been moved to the App World.

Open 'App World'

Why they would break the BBM way of doing things that works since BB 4.4, I have no idea.
    Oh, snap! Yeah, not sure why they'd break something like that. Well, there's two items solved off of my gripe list of 6. Only a half dozen to go.

11-06-10 04:53 PM
    Good info to post for everyone. I have been trying out the QR Code Scanner Pro from the Jared Company and the App World Scanner. I was bummed out that it was moved from BBM as well. Both of the scanners are working well.
    11-06-10 05:29 PM

Very unfortunate.

**EDIT**

Open 'App World'

Thank you. Much appreciated, I was wondering why my BBM scanner wouldn't work.

Why would they split it into 2 different apps? Such a waste.
    12-15-10 05:16 PM
    Well, dern. Looks like The Jared Company is on top of the problem. QR scanner that doesn't require you take the picture.

BlackBerry App World - QR Code Scanner Pro
    Just FYI, or maybe you've already realized this since your post was more than a month ago, but it seems to me that the general consensus is to be wary of Apps from the Jared Company. If you search for Jared Company you'll likely see various posts about how their Apps tend to include "trojan" style issues that send you spam, etc.
    Last edited by BBMINI; 12-17-10 at 02:40 PM.
    12-17-10 02:31 PM
    My barcode reader never worked on my 9700. The only thing it would do was go into in infinite loop of flashing and required a battery pull. Every OS update did not fix this issue.
    My wife's 9650 did the same thing (whether the flash was on or not) -- couldn't stop the scan attempts until the battery was pulled. Ultimately had the phone replaced by Verizon since they couldn't figure it out, and the phone also had a variety of other weird problems (that may or may not have been related to the cause of the scanning problem). Her replacement phone has had no problems.
    12-17-10 02:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD