06-12-11 09:10 PM
37 12
tools
    Push to talk had it's day in the sun. Welcome to the 90's.
    Same for video calling, now dubbed "facetime". lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-11 05:52 PM
    I think you guys are looking at this in too limited a way. Why not think of this as "a way to talk to someone without having to know their telephone number". Why shouldn't simply be able to click on a contact on my BBM list and talk to them? Why do I have to know their phone number and dial them, or go to video chat, or go to the text-messages app and message them?
    I would think if there is someone that you have the desire to talk to then you'd probably have their number. People don't just talk to strangers. Chatting with text is different because people do that all the time in chatrooms but no one is just going to talk to people, especially is the most annoying way ever.
    06-11-11 09:04 AM
    Same for video calling, now dubbed "facetime". lol

When did video calling have it's day on phones? I must have missed that error? And I'm pretty sure, you'd be stoked if RIM could produce a device that could video chat. But since they don't, I'm pretty sure it's stupid feature, right

I bet more people use video chat now because of facetime then if Apple didn't dub it. So they don't create it, but they make it popular. Too bad RIM can't do that anymore.
    06-11-11 09:05 AM
  4. T
    I think the more options for communication, the better. I don't see what would be wrong with having this (mostly free) extra feature if RIM can give it to us.

06-11-11 01:02 PM
    [QUOTE=deRusett;6394123]agreed!
    Push to talk is a STUPID idea! clarity is always poor, intrusion into the public is rampant, voicenotes + phone calls + text with proper notification systems if a FAR better use of resources than Push to talk![QUOTE]

I am sure you will be able to turn it on or off or have the choice of using it or not.

So for some folks it will be useful for other not so much.

So to call it stupid is a little outside the realm of considering many folks
    are not like you and may find it useful.

Tim
    06-11-11 01:09 PM
    When did video calling have it's day on phones? I must have missed that error? And I'm pretty sure, you'd be stoked if RIM could produce a device that could video chat. But since they don't, I'm pretty sure it's stupid feature, right

I bet more people use video chat now because of facetime then if Apple didn't dub it. So they don't create it, but they make it popular. Too bad RIM can't do that anymore.
    Video calling will become more widely used as time goes by for many.
    This is an area where RIM needs to step up to the plate on their phones.

I still do not see the new phones or proposed new phones having a front facing camera. This shows that RIM has still not got to the points of leading the pack. Instead playing catchup..

I do still think you will see the BB Touch come out before the holiday shopping season with QNX. This would give them a good kick in the sales area which we all know they need.

The Touch Bold will get some sales from true BB users but will fail to attact many new BB users. Maybe they see that with the recent remarks coming out of RIM. To me the phone does not make sense. To small of a screen to be useful in the touch way. A novelty at best.

Tim
    Last edited by trsbbs; 06-12-11 at 01:22 AM.
    06-11-11 01:15 PM
    i would like to see this succeed even though its highly unlikely. i miss that chirping tone from nextel haha
    06-11-11 01:59 PM
    Any of you actually tried having a voicenotes conversation in bbm? It's much better the PTT for these reason: you can listen to a message again without the sender having to repeat it, you can review your message before you send it if you want, and you can listen to the message in your own time, no need to attract everybody's attention.

Try it, it's fun, especially when you do it with a mate on the other side of the world.

It's almost PTT but better.

06-11-11 03:46 PM
    Any of you actually tried having a voicenotes conversation in bbm? It's much better the PTT for these reason: you can listen to a message again without the sender having to repeat it, you can review your message before you send it if you want, and you can listen to the message in your own time, no need to attract everybody's attention.

Try it, it's fun, especially when you do it with a mate on the other side of the world.

Exactly... voicenotes are much more convenient.
    06-11-11 04:13 PM

That's cool! Never tried it. Going to try right now haha

06-11-11 05:49 PM
    The Touch Bold will get some sales from true BB users but will fail to attact many new BB users. Maybe they see that with the recent remarks coming out of RIM. To me the phone does not make sense. To small of a screen to be useful in the touch way. A novelty at best.
    They just need to add a STYLUS and all those PALM customers of old would snap them up....
    06-12-11 04:01 PM
    [When did video calling have it's day on phones? I must have missed that error? And I'm pretty sure, you'd be stoked if RIM could produce a device that could video chat. But since they don't, I'm pretty sure it's stupid feature, right
    Welcome to Europe and Asia 10 Years ago. They had it but never really went main stream. Yeah it was a stupid feature. So stupid majority of all Iphone 4 users I know don't bother with it after the first month. Ask around for yourself.

The problem was it was to hard to walk around using the front camera without smacking into a tree, one reporter stated. Also, the shaking was bad. So you had to sit down....AKA a laptop.
    06-12-11 09:10 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD