Hi folks! Well im really hoping someone can help me out with this one. Im going to Greece next month. I live in Toronto. Is it possible for me to use my Blackberry in Greece WITH a Greek cell number sim instead of my local number. And still use BBM on my blackberry as well if i purchase data from Greece on my plan??

I hope that doesnt sound to confusing.

Basically i want to use my blackberry in europe for bbm. But not use it for my local Toronto number.

Cheers
    06-22-11 05:39 PM
    No.
    Why don't you purchase the VZW roaming data?
    The local SIM won't support BBM.

You can also BBM Via Wifi if you'd like.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-11 05:46 PM
  3. T
    No ... The local SIM won't support BBM.
    Is there really no local sim with a BlackBerry plan? Perhaps on tmobile?

06-22-11 07:18 PM
    can i not use my blackberry there with there local data plans?
    06-22-11 08:26 PM
    Couldn't you just unlock your phone & get a SIM and data/phone plan when you get to Greece?
    06-22-11 08:30 PM
    Hmmm thats what id like to do yes! I already have a sim card that i use when i go there every summer. But was wondering if i could put this SAME sim in my unlocked blackberry, get a data plan in Greece and therefore be able to use BBM. It sounds logical (i think) but i havent tried it before. Anyone on here ever do suck a thing?

Cheers
    06-23-11 08:43 AM
    Hmmm thats what id like to do yes! I already have a sim card that i use when i go there every summer. But was wondering if i could put this SAME sim in my unlocked blackberry, get a data plan in Greece and therefore be able to use BBM. It sounds logical (i think) but i havent tried it before. Anyone on here ever do suck a thing?

Cheers
    It all depends on the carrier that you have the number with, if they support prepay bis data plans you're good to go, if not then no. Why don't you have a look at their website or email them.

06-23-11 08:59 AM
    So who would i contact? The current carrier that i use here in Canada which is Bell Mobility? Or the Carrier that i have the Sim card in Greece which is Cosmote?

Cheers
    06-23-11 09:32 AM
    I've been told that when I'm back in the US my BIS will work with my ATT data/talk/text pay as you go SIM as the PIN is registered in the UK on my Orange account so you should be able to put your Greek SIM straight into your BB & BIS (inc BBM) should work as BIS is international and works regardless of carrier.

This info came direct from a BB rep who travels between US & CA and switches SIMs himself!

Kate
    06-23-11 03:37 PM
    Hello, i would suggest you to do this:
    First of all, unlock your Blackberry so it can work with other carriers.

People who want to use their Blackberry overseas with local numbers (as prepaid Sim cards) would need to make sure that their device is unlocked for making it "open" and working, without unlocking your Blackberry you won't get signal with GSM Sim cards other then your carrier's (in your country).

After you have done unlocking (if you need help with unlocking you can read more about it here:
    Blackberry unlocking FAQ
    ), you can buy a prepaid Sim card (search on the carriers websites) with Blackberry BIS plan, update service book.. then use the BBM.

you can unlock your Blackberry online so it's very easy and while you in Greece you can just walk into any store that sells SIM cards and get the one you need with a pre-paid data-plan.

and yes, you can use your Blackberry with their data plans, there are prepaid SIM cards with Dataplans for Blackberry with all the services you need.

Any way, that is easy to do it, just look on the websites of the greece GSM carriers and find the right deal for a Pre-paid with DATA that supports BIS.

enjoy your travel.
    007Storm likes this.
    06-23-11 04:44 PM
    Wow so much help! Thank you. So my next question. I have a registered SIM there already with a number obviously. Can they add Data plan you think to this SIM card. Or will they have to issue me a NEW one and hence i would get a new cell # as well?

Cheers
    06-23-11 06:10 PM
    So who would i contact? The current carrier that i use here in Canada which is Bell Mobility? Or the Carrier that i have the Sim card in Greece which is Cosmote?

Cheers
    Try Vodafone. I used their Data plan in Spain last month and could get access to my BBM without any troubles using the same SIM card I have with this company for several years.
    My BB Curve is "unlocked" and I have several SIM cards from a few countries I travel to. In Germany I had the same possibiltity with Vodafone. All I had to do is ask for the Data plan and pay an extra 3.50 Euro per week.
    06-23-11 06:25 PM
    I strongly suggest buying a cheap gsm blackberry for using in Greece, you can restore your bbm contacts on it while you're there and restore them back to bell when you're back.

06-24-11 01:24 AM
    How would you restore your contacts back and forth if the cells have different pins? Doesnt the carrier have to do that internally?
    06-24-11 08:42 AM
    How would you restore your contacts back and forth if the cells have different pins? Doesnt the carrier have to do that internally?
    Here's how you do it:
    1. Go to your bell bbm, press menu, select options
    2. Back up your bbm contacts using email.
    3. Once you have a data plan on your cosmote bb first set up the same email you used to back up on your bell bb
    4. Go to your bbm in the cosmote bb and select restore using email

And that's it, give it a few minutes to have the chance to update the new pin to all your contacts and you're good to go, your contacts will never notice anything.

Oh, make sure you have the latest BBM on both phones.

06-24-11 08:51 AM
    If you can read greek, look through Greek mobile providers' homepages to see which ones offer prepaid BIS
    06-24-11 01:40 PM
    Hi Folks! Okay a tech question now. Iv been using my Motorolla Rizer for bunch of years when in Greece and have tons of Greek contacts saved in it. Is there a way i can somehow place these contacts on my blackberry when i have a new sim card. Or will the contacts all be added to my regular contacts on my blackberry cell now. If thats the case it will be a lot harder searching but i guess i cant be that picky!

Cheers and thx
    07-14-11 04:09 PM
    Anyone any info?? Would really appreciate it!

Thx
    07-21-11 10:34 AM
    You carrier should be able to transfer your contacts from the old sim to the new one. You can then import all the sim contacts to the blackberry address book once you insert it in.

07-21-11 10:39 AM
    So what u are saying possibly and corect me if im wrong i should just make sure all my contacts are on my sim card of my Greek number! Thus once placing it to my blackberry it will all be there.

If by accident if i had saved them on my actuall cell memory is it easy to transfer them on the sim card. Or do i usually have to manually do it. It is a motorolla rizer if that helps at all.

Thx so much!
    07-21-11 10:46 AM
    So what u are saying possibly and corect me if im wrong i should just make sure all my contacts are on my sim card of my Greek number! Thus once placing it to my blackberry it will all be there.

If by accident if i had saved them on my actuall cell memory is it easy to transfer them on the sim card. Or do i usually have to manually do it. It is a motorolla rizer if that helps at all.

Thx so much!
    In UK at least, any carrier shop can take the numbers from on Sim and transfer it to another.
    Once you have your numbers in your blackberry you can sync them to gmail, yahoo or hotmail ota, you can sync to outlook or windows contactsl, basically you have many options, you don't have to worry about having them in the Sim anymore.

07-21-11 10:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD