So I've been thinking about the whole licensing thing; not only that, but taking it a step further and making BBM, which we all know and love on our Blackberry devices, available on iOS and Android; WinMo, even.

Would that be a deal-breaker for you? Is there a device out there right now that you'd LOVE to have, but it just doesn't have BBM? For me, the answer is no; but I'm curious to what others think. I've been the typical BB deserter...went to Android for a year and came running back to Blackberry, but obviously there are SOME apps that aren't *yet* available on BB devices that are an allure to some.

I suppose this post is more for the borderline or Torch users, not for the "I'll NEVER leave my physical QWERTY keyboard" folks....what say you?
    04-17-12 07:26 PM
    While it's not entirely impossible, I think it's unlikely for BBM to be ported to other platforms. Since most people are using WhatsApp across different platforms, I believe the need for BBM on other platforms has been eradicated.

But let's say that if it has been ported over, nope, I won't switch because to get the true experience of BBM, you need a BB

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-17-12 07:37 PM
    I won't switch because I won't run banking or sensitive apps on other platforms, but my Skyrocket may become my daily driver. Once I buy three spare batteries to get me through the day.
    04-17-12 08:03 PM
    If BBM was ported to another platform I would be more inclined to buy cheap devices that have BBM over medium costs BlackBerry's for other people.

I probably would also be more inclined to have my 3rd phone as a different device besides a BlackBerry because I could keep it in my family group.

I know MANY people who have Blackberry's for 2 reasons, BBM, and Keyboards, with only 1 of those left I can see a lot of them giving a touchscreen experience a shot.

RIM has 2 Aces with BBM & They Keyboard, why give one of those Aces to other people who have their share of aces
    04-17-12 08:06 PM
    To me BlackBerry is more than just BBM

It's the ecosystem, it's the new OS, the way they do things as a business, the direction they're going in,etc.

I wouldn't switch
    wout000, shaleem and ewakil12 like this.
    04-17-12 10:37 PM
    I wouldn't switch for BBM, if the phone/platform is just working for me i'm in.
    04-17-12 10:39 PM
    It would make it easier to switch IF I ever wanted to. That's a big if...
    04-17-12 11:31 PM
    For me, I love BBM and I love my Blackberry not just because of BBM but because of other features and one of them is Email... As a matter of fact, I use my Blackberry for accessing my emails more than my Outlook. lol

I would think twice if iPhone would have the same Email experience plus a BBM...
    wout000 likes this.
    04-18-12 01:49 AM
    To me BlackBerry is more than just BBM

It's the ecosystem, it's the new OS, the way they do things as a business, the direction they're going in,etc.

I wouldn't switch
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    04-18-12 10:07 AM
    No. BBM is not the reason why I have BB. My BBM contacts are 99% work related anyway(but this is my personal phone) I just love this so called old styled, outdated os loaded phone
    04-19-12 12:00 AM
    No. BBM isn't the reason I prefer BlackBerry. It's just a benefit.

I did switch, and came back.

I use cross platform Live Profile for non BlackBerry friends now.
    04-19-12 12:11 AM
    Nah, I wouldn't switch. There going to have to pry my BlackBerry from my cold dead hands.....I'm sticking with BlackBerry til the END!!
    04-19-12 12:19 AM
    No I wouldn't switch. Like others have stated, BBM isn't the reason why I have a BlackBerry. I'm one of the ones with very few BBM contacts
    04-19-12 09:01 AM
    it wouldnt make me leave...but, it might give deserters less of a reason to come back, if bbm was one of the key things they missed about their bb
    04-19-12 09:27 AM
    I'm not sure. I pretty much like everything about my 9810 -- except battery life. But a BBM equipped Galaxy Note would be VERY tempting.
    04-19-12 09:33 AM
    i have almost stopped using bbm entirely because my contact list has dwindled to almost nothing.

i use whatsapp now for free cross platform chats and groups.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-19-12 09:37 AM
    Nope. Have never used BBM yet I choose to have a bb despite that.
    04-19-12 09:47 AM
    So I've been thinking about the whole licensing thing; not only that, but taking it a step further and making BBM, which we all know and love on our Blackberry devices, available on iOS and Android; WinMo, even.

Would that be a deal-breaker for you? Is there a device out there right now that you'd LOVE to have, but it just doesn't have BBM? For me, the answer is no; but I'm curious to what others think. I've been the typical BB deserter...went to Android for a year and came running back to Blackberry, but obviously there are SOME apps that aren't *yet* available on BB devices that are an allure to some.

I suppose this post is more for the borderline or Torch users, not for the "I'll NEVER leave my physical QWERTY keyboard" folks....what say you?
    Not. There isn't another phone out there that I'm interested in.

James
    04-19-12 11:36 AM
    I'm here for the long haul!
    04-19-12 11:50 AM
    If BBM was ported to another platform I would be more inclined to buy cheap devices that have BBM over medium costs BlackBerry's for other people.

I probably would also be more inclined to have my 3rd phone as a different device besides a BlackBerry because I could keep it in my family group.

I know MANY people who have Blackberry's for 2 reasons, BBM, and Keyboards, with only 1 of those left I can see a lot of them giving a touchscreen experience a shot.

RIM has 2 Aces with BBM & They Keyboard, why give one of those Aces to other people who have their share of aces
    This thread is interesting - it doesn't sound like cross-licensing would cost RIM any subscribers. Yet as pointed out in another thread, it has the potential to be the "thin edge of the wedge" in gaining greater mind share among non-Berry users. Not to mention the additional revenue. With all the BBM-linkage for social networking apps, games, etc. I can see that revenue eclipsing current revenues, or at least creating a great marketing channel to firmly embed Blackberry in the consumer's mind. BBM could become RIM's "MS-Office".

I couldn't see the justification for cross-licensing before, but it's starting to make sense for me now. Could be a very cool, "Bold" move! (sorry, couldn't resist).

- R.
    04-19-12 12:48 PM
    Nope don't use bbm.
    04-19-12 01:01 PM
    I probably wouldn't switch myself but it would be nice to get some contacts back that have switched already.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9350 using Tapatalk
    04-19-12 02:51 PM
    This thread is interesting - it doesn't sound like cross-licensing would cost RIM any subscribers. Yet as pointed out in another thread, it has the potential to be the "thin edge of the wedge" in gaining greater mind share among non-Berry users. Not to mention the additional revenue. With all the BBM-linkage for social networking apps, games, etc. I can see that revenue eclipsing current revenues, or at least creating a great marketing channel to firmly embed Blackberry in the consumer's mind. BBM could become RIM's "MS-Office".

I couldn't see the justification for cross-licensing before, but it's starting to make sense for me now. Could be a very cool, "Bold" move! (sorry, couldn't resist).

- R.
    Had bbm been on feature phones or lower cost phones than the curve I would have purchased 4 fewer BlackBerry's in the last 2 years.

I suspect the likes of the people who hang out on forums dedicated to smartphones are less likely to switch just at the loss of bbm, but the low cost curve market that bbm brings savings too would have the ability to buy other devices, especially in the emerging markets rim is mostly strong in.

I don't think cross licening bbm would have overly negative effects on North America, but could kill RIM's global brand growth, and turn them into a service company with risks to their margins due to other compeitive products.

I heavily will be one of the people to argue against cross platform bbm on the consumer side, but argue for cross platform bbm connected to Mobilefusion BES installations
    04-19-12 04:56 PM
    i always thought about it and i think I would only for apps but many other people i know with iphones only want a BB because all of their friend uses one so if all platforms had it i dont think many people will use BB

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using CrackBerry forums application
    04-20-12 03:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD