Hi! I realise that I'm regurgitating previously asked questions here, but I never seem to be able to find definitive answers, and most answers that I find are for/from US BB users.

I am going abroad to Germany from the UK next week for 3 days, to Italy for a week in August, and to France for 10 days, also in August.

After getting hit with a big bill last summer after returning from a holiday, I can safely say that I will not be doing any web browsing of any kind this time around (learn from your mistakes, and all that)

However, I DO want to use BBM. My girlfriend recently bought a Blackberry, and this is now how we communicate. I would like to speak to her via BBM whilst I am in Europe and she is in the UK. I realise that BBM does use data transfer, and I know that my 'Blackberry Unlimited' bolt-on, whilst giving me unlimited data usage in the UK, will not work in Europe. I also know that O2 charge 3 per MB of data transferred when you are in Europe.

So firstly, will Blackberry Messenger definitely cost me money? I see some people say that it will because it uses data and the BB Unlimited plan does not cover overseas data. However, I also see some people say that they have used BBM abroad extensively and never been charged, and I also see some people say that because BBM uses RIM servers, it costs nothing when abroad.

Which answer is the correct one? :s I would really hate to be hit with big charges again when I come home.

If it transpires that BBM DOES cost money abroad, approximately how much data does the BBM use? I have seen it said that it is quite data efficient, which is good, because in terms of roaming data, 3 per MB could really mess you up. How much would I have to use BBM to hit 1MB of data usage?

Ideally, I'd like to switch off data services entirely, but Id rather use BBM really. I'll just make sure that I avoid browsing. I might even temporarily delete the apps that I have on there so that they don't hit me with data charges by messing around in the background.

I know it will cost to send emails, but does it cost to receive and to open them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry again for bringing the same questions up, but I did search this and other forums and it's just frustrating to see such little consistency from answer to answer.
    04-23-10 06:32 PM
    There are a couple of options for you to look into. I travel a lot, both in europe and outside of it and as far as I can tell with my bills (I am on o2), I don't get charged for BBM while abroad. I use the web browser a lot, and so long as you visit mobile websites, the data charges are low. I also recommend getting your emails in plain text, rather than html, but even that can be altered in BB settings.

However, o2 do offer a worldwide blackberry bolt on, which costs 20 per month (plus the uk version), so you can add that to your account, then remove it when you are done travelling. That will solve all your data charge issues in one go, but at a cost.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-10 07:09 PM
    However, o2 do offer a worldwide blackberry bolt on, which costs 20 per month (plus the uk version), so you can add that to your account, then remove it when you are done travelling. That will solve all your data charge issues in one go, but at a cost.

That's the one I use.

You have to subscribe for 3 months minimum, so in total 60 over three months but the satisfaction of just stepping off the plane and handling emails / BBM / browsing internet right off the bat is pretty immense.

You also get a stack of text messages for free which is ideal for dealing with all the calls you won't want to pick up.

I know 60 may seem a bit steep for a few days abroad, and I'm not sure of your situation but I always end up using my BB for data service when abroad just for the simple fact that I need more information to get me through the day. I also seem to have a lot of downtime since I'm not in my office - it's useful to have something to do even if that is to just answer your emails.

Sorry that I can't answer your specific questions regarding cost of BBM, suffice to say that o2 told me it would cost if I didn't get the plan. In fact, it could be worth a call o2 and discuss with them as the reps are very knowledgeable regarding everything you're asking about here.

But my advice is to power up the BB for international use and sit back and enjoy the power at your fingertips...airline taxiing time can be very dull without popping the odd Facebook update out there....
    04-23-10 07:59 PM
    There are a couple of options for you to look into. I travel a lot, both in europe and outside of it and as far as I can tell with my bills (I am on o2), I don't get charged for BBM while abroad. I use the web browser a lot, and so long as you visit mobile websites, the data charges are low. I also recommend getting your emails in plain text, rather than html, but even that can be altered in BB settings.

That's the one I use.

You have to subscribe for 3 months minimum, so in total 60 over three months but the satisfaction of just stepping off the plane and handling emails / BBM / browsing internet right off the bat is pretty immense.

You also get a stack of text messages for free which is ideal for dealing with all the calls you won't want to pick up.

I know 60 may seem a bit steep for a few days abroad, and I'm not sure of your situation but I always end up using my BB for data service when abroad just for the simple fact that I need more information to get me through the day. I also seem to have a lot of downtime since I'm not in my office - it's useful to have something to do even if that is to just answer your emails.

Sorry that I can't answer your specific questions regarding cost of BBM, suffice to say that o2 told me it would cost if I didn't get the plan. In fact, it could be worth a call o2 and discuss with them as the reps are very knowledgeable regarding everything you're asking about here.

But my advice is to power up the BB for international use and sit back and enjoy the power at your fingertips...airline taxiing time can be very dull without popping the odd Facebook update out there....
    Thanks for the replies, guys!

Seems that people get told that BBM costs money to use, but ends up not being on your bill. So I'll give that a shot. The bolt-on definitely sounds like an idea. I won't use that for 3 days in Germany, but I might wrell put it on for August since I'm going to be away for half of the month.

I think I'll delete all of the apps temporarily, set emails to display in text and try my hardest not to browse and see where it gets me when I'm in Deutschland next week!
    04-23-10 11:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD