Hey Guys!

I've tried everything to fix this problem but nothing is working! You guys are my last chance!

Okay, so I just got my 9780 yesterday and am loving it so far! Some features are new to me as I just upgraded from the tour!

Anyways, as you know the 9780 has WIFI and you can send BBM messages with WIFI enabled (if you have a data plan). Well I have a data plan, but I just want to test this out so when I go away I can still BBM. Anyways, I activated my WIFI and have full connection. I go to BBM and try to send a message, but it has the red time clock and will not send! I have even waited 20 minutes for it to send but nothing is happening. Once again, I do have a data plan!

Do you guys know what is wrong? What should I do to make this work?

Thank you so much in advance, all answers are much appreciated.
    - Michael.
    Last edited by michaeldaleo; 03-04-11 at 09:09 PM.
    03-04-11 08:43 PM
    Is your data working over the network connection?
    Are your 'data services' on in the Mobile Network options?
    03-04-11 09:10 PM
    Yes, my BBM works perfectly fine with data services on, but i read on this forum that you can send BBM messages with data services off and wifi enabled. But with me, when my data is off, and my wifi and mobile network on, it won't send any messages and I get the little red clock. The clock goes away cand sends the message sas soon as I turn the data on.
    03-04-11 09:17 PM
    I'm thinking that you need data ON, wifi ON, mobile network OFF

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-11 09:28 PM

This. You need to see the BlackBerry logo beside the wifi icon.
    03-04-11 09:36 PM
    But then doesn't that mean that it is using data to send my messages? Also when I go away (for instance, right now I'm in Canada, and I go to the States) won't it charge me for roaming?

My friend went to the states and strictly used Wifi with no data to send the messages.

I think if I have the blackberry logo and the wifi, it uses data to send.

03-04-11 09:50 PM
    I'm currently using my 9780 as a spare right now. There is no SIM card in it. In order to use wifi to browse the internet, I have to have wifi ON and data ON. If wifi only, it won't go online. Mobile network, obviously, is OFF.

03-04-11 09:57 PM
    But then doesn't that mean that it is using data to send my messages? Also when I go away (for instance, right now I'm in Canada, and I go to the States) won't it charge me for roaming?

My friend went to the states and strictly used Wifi with no data to send the messages.

I think if I have the blackberry logo and the wifi, it uses data to send.

This was new to me to and I don't know when it was actually implemented because I know the first Bold didn't do this but to my understanding, by turning mobile network off but leaving wifi and data services on, everything is routed (through wifi of course) to BIS so you're not really using your carrier for any data thus no roaming charges.
    03-04-11 10:54 PM
    I figured it out! Thank you so much for all the help everyone! Much appreciated .

-mike
    03-04-11 11:42 PM
    And what was the solution?
    03-05-11 05:54 PM
    I bet this was.

Data set to OFF kills any and all data, not just the carrier's, meaning BBM could not connect to the WiFi hotspot.

I agree... RIM could have chosen a better, more intuitive place for this switch...
    03-05-11 06:57 PM
    I have this same problem, I have a bold 9780 on vodafone. I am overseas with the phone at the moment and I am attached to wifi no problem and i can browse the internet but I can't send bbm.I had turned off mobile network and had turned off data roaming but left data on and I have now tried with data on and data roaming on but with mobile network off.

My sister has a different blackberry bold on orange and her BBM is working on the same wifi with no problem. Any suggestions?
    04-25-11 01:48 AM
    Its seems it is something to do with the BIS. When I look at settings - wifi is shown as connected but BIS is shown as not connected. Why would that be? I have data turned on (but data roaming off) and mobile network off.
    04-25-11 03:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD