Hey guys,
    Everytime I update os for some reason my bbm messages get deleted. I back up all my info and everything else like sms remains there. Is there a way to save your messages when a new os is installed?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-10 11:42 PM
    I don't believe so. The auto backup saves emails and sms messages, but BBM is a separate thing that needs to be backed up through the app itself, and even with that it only backs up contacts, not messages.
    12-20-10 10:47 AM
    inside BBM there is an option to save your chat history onto your memory card.

Once you're in BBM, press the BB menu key and select options, scroll down and you'll see "Save Chat History" and the choices are never, media card and device memory.
    12-20-10 11:13 AM
    I should have mentioned that because your chat history is now saved on your media card, your BB Desktop Software should backup your chat history if you do a backup before your next os upgrade.
    12-20-10 11:15 AM
    inside BBM there is an option to save your chat history onto your memory card.

Once you're in BBM, press the BB menu key and select options, scroll down and you'll see "Save Chat History" and the choices are never, media card and device memory.
    I don't believe so. The auto backup saves emails and sms messages, but BBM is a separate thing that needs to be backed up through the app itself, and even with that it only backs up contacts, not messages.
    As NoahFecks stated, that option in BBM only backups your contacts and not your actual messages. Yes you can save your actual messages but you can never display them on the device again within bbm, only view them on a pc.
    12-20-10 11:16 AM
    Having lost my BBM chats once (when I went from .246 to .337), I was hoping to avoid it next time by using this feature. In the BBM Help notes, it says:

"... if you have previously turned on chat history... you can then highlight a contact in BBM, press the menu key, and then click "View Chat History". This sounds to me like a lot more than only backing up your contacts. "Never display them on the device again within BBM"? I don't think so...
    12-20-10 12:23 PM
    Having lost my BBM chats once (when I went from .246 to .337), I was hoping to avoid it next time by using this feature. In the BBM Help notes, it says:

"... if you have previously turned on chat history... you can then highlight a contact in BBM, press the menu key, and then click "View Chat History". This sounds to me like a lot more than only backing up your contacts. "Never display them on the device again within BBM"? I don't think so...
    This is what I read in another thread posted by a mod from this forum. Another person asked the same question. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong. I don't log bbm chats so I cant say if it works or not. I believe it was after an OS upgrade that they no longer showed anymore. if i run across the thread I'll post it here.
    12-20-10 12:58 PM
    User remote backup and the local backup but for the local backup ensure the backups are being written to your SD card. This means you have to set the path when manually taking a backup before a change like updating BBM or the OS. You can also take a DM backup then restore BBM contacts via a selective restoration. With recent failures, I do all three in hopes I can get everything back via one of the three!
    12-20-10 12:59 PM
    Ok so I stand corrected, after re reading that thread I realize what i posted is false to some degree. here is the post i was referring too.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/pre...ing-os-563403/
    12-20-10 01:05 PM
    one more comment from me... I believe the "remote backup" referred to by Shansmi does in fact only apply to the contacts and not the chats. Using that feature plus the chat history feature should ensure that nothing is lost from BBM.

Maybe there'll be a future software release from RIM to fix this so that a simple backup using the BB Desktop Software would work for both BBM contacts and chats.

I wonder if anyone responsible for the BB OS inside of RIM ever looks at these posts to find out what their users are finding as problems/glitches/improvements.
    12-20-10 01:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD