02-12-10 08:31 AM
31 12
tools
    If I have an unimited data/ texting plan, how can I still benefit from bbm, I feel like I'm missing out on something but it seems it would only benefit if I didn't have unlimited texting and everyone I knew had a bb...any other standout features that set bbm apart from reg texting or facebook?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-10 05:27 PM
    Absolutely not necessary. I never use it. Then again I'm not a social site guy.
    02-10-10 05:28 PM
    Group chats (like if you have a group of friends who all have bbs & you are trying to make plans for the night). Also, picture sharing is really easy. And, there isn't any character limitation when sending messages through bbm, versus the 160 limit of sms.
    02-10-10 05:30 PM
    Anyone you know also have a BB? Exchange PINs or barcodes or something and be your own judge. Don't take our word for it.

Eventhough I love it!
    02-10-10 05:30 PM
    I don't use it. I'm the only person I know with a BB and I don't want a 3.2MB app bogging down my system.

Maybe when I upgrade to an Essex I'll get it and play with it (my curve may be gifted to a friend when I do). We'll see.
    02-10-10 05:37 PM
    Thanks for the input, only a few of my friends have blackberries, no matter how much I tell them how great my 9700 is (my first bb, had a samsung jack as my first smartphone...pretty neat phone, nowhere near as capable)

02-10-10 06:04 PM
    Its the best messenger hands down, tells u when ppl receive or read ur messages. bbm rules.

02-10-10 06:13 PM
    BBM always had enterprise in mind.

Some of the advantages it has over other IM clients are:
    - No need to set up a username (you can use an email address instead of the PIN if you want to)
    - Send/Receive photos, voicenotes and files
    - Delivery and Read receipts
    - Integration with the BB PIN system / I believe, with enterprise server, you can send&receive messages without going outside of your company's IT infrastructure (might come in handy for communicating sensitive information) - Someone confirm/correct me on this one
    02-10-10 06:42 PM
    Blackberry Messenger 5.0 is hands down the best messaging application. You can send pictures, videos, and files very fast; and you can add other BB owners just by snapping a picture of thier unique barcode. How cool is that? and if your friends arent using Blackberry's it sounds like you need new friends haha jk .... but seriously, check out the PIN/Barcode sharing forums if you really want to see how cool BBM is.
    02-10-10 06:48 PM
    bbm shows a delivery and read confirmation which texting does not
    02-10-10 07:43 PM
    BBM is one of the major reasons why Blackberry users love their Blackberries. It's the best messaging and no other comes close.
    02-10-10 07:45 PM
    Well said JD.
    02-10-10 07:49 PM
    If you send a message using BBM from your country to someone in another country, you will not pay any additional charges. International SMS is expensive.
    02-10-10 08:10 PM
    If you send a message using BBM from your country to someone in another country, you will not pay any additional charges. International SMS is expensive.
    agreed. Main reason for me.

02-10-10 08:20 PM
    agreed. Main reason for me.

Which includes sending those voicenotes, photos, files whitle you are anywhere in the world without roaming charges. Of course, some carrier requires you to sing up for international BB unlimited plan, which normally it is prorated.
    02-10-10 09:30 PM
    Just use it already and delete if you don't like/want it.

02-10-10 09:41 PM
    Depends if you have friends with BB's or not.... 80% of my friends do....
    02-10-10 09:49 PM
    BBM can be used over wifi, so if you don't have a signal wherever you are you can still contact your BB friends.

02-11-10 12:22 AM
    when you upgrade you will be able to add friends that dont have a BB in there, so all text will come through BBM
    02-11-10 12:26 AM
    There was a time when I was without BIS and I felt SOOO NAKED without BBM.

02-11-10 12:41 AM
    BBM is truly amazing, i will say myself. never understood the hype until i really used it myself. i really love the read notification. No more saying "i didn't get it" crap from people.
    02-11-10 03:40 PM
    BBM is a huge reason why I can't give up on using a BlackBerry. Much more reliable than regular SMS.
    02-11-10 04:06 PM
    Everyone I work with has BBRY as well as most of my close friends and family. Absolutely love BBM and ou will love it as well when you get more contacts on it.

If I were to have an iphone and it had a feature that was device specific I wouldn't use it. You won't really know until you start to use it.

02-11-10 04:16 PM
    Which includes sending those voicenotes, photos, files whitle you are anywhere in the world without roaming charges. Of course, some carrier requires you to sing up for international BB unlimited plan, which normally it is prorated.
    I wish I had that - Rogers has a 15 and 20 dollar package.

Both unlimited emails and im - but the 20 gives you access to canada and us.

Not international.
    02-11-10 05:20 PM
    How many times have you text or MMS something to a friend on a different network??? Several I'm sure. How many times have you found it frustrating to know that your party didn't receive your text msg or MMS. With BBM it all goes thru the SAME servers in Canada. You can customize your name and profile pic, which is nonexistent on plain-Jane SMS. Someone mentioned BBM groups which are a lot of fun sharing pics and info with people all over the world not just your regular schmoos down the street. It's just a much better experience and I just have a problem with ALL of the carriers getting rich on SMS. Such a scam.
    02-11-10 05:30 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD