An interesting BBM exchange between Samir Barai and Jason Pflaum on page 26 of the complaint.

Late in the night of november 19, 2010, after Pflaum had already begun to cooperate with the Government in its investigation, BARAI and Pflaum exchanged a series of BBM communications regarding the article published in the Wall Street journal. In the BBM communications, BARAI stated that the article said that "key parts of the probes are at a late stage" and that a "Federal Grand Jury had heard evidence." BARAI further stated that he read the "article 10x [meaning, ten times]." BARAI then summarizerd the Reuters article quoted in Paragraph 49 above, which he reviewed:

So another reuters article
    says
    Last two weeks
    Fbi had approached HF [Hedge Fund] traders over past 2 weeks
    And number of traders contacted lawyers
    Problem is
    This scope is said to focus on the use of so-called expert network firms
    Concern for years that some experts may be passing out confi [meaning, confidential] info about to go public cos [meaning, companies] to traders....
    [The Firm] was only one named!!!!
    F*****ck
    BARAI then concluded the BBM communication with the following instruction: "Delete ur bbm chatr" [meaning, that Pflaum should delete his BBM communication with BARAI].

Sounds a little like panic if you ask me.
    News Headlines
    02-08-11 04:26 PM
    What's the point of this thread. NVM I see who the OP is, not again Cash just move on please.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-08-11 09:31 PM
    kthxbai

10 char
    02-08-11 09:50 PM
    I found it interesting.

02-09-11 12:49 AM
    This says to me if your gonna communicate something illegal use invisible ink or perhaps a smoke signal. Don't rely on delete my bbm or SMS or email regarding my illegal activity please. Other than being sent via bbm this story has nothing to do w BB security but the stupidity of the criminal user of a BB.

02-09-11 01:50 AM
    This says to me if your gonna communicate something illegal use invisible ink or perhaps a smoke signal. Don't rely on delete my bbm or SMS or email regarding my illegal activity please. Other than being sent via bbm this story has nothing to do w BB security but the stupidity of the criminal user of a BB.

True. But I think the point of the post is to show that there are ways (at least by law enforcement) to look at bbm messages encrypted or not. I've seen that many people believe that bbm is COMPLETELY private.

02-09-11 02:05 AM
    True. But I think the point of the post is to show that there are ways (at least by law enforcement) to look at bbm messages encrypted or not. I've seen that many people believe that bbm is COMPLETELY private.

You are right about that, some people who are severely ignorant may believe bbm is private. I say ignorant in the truest sense of the word, because if you believe anything that you let escape your head via any form of communication is private you are ignorant. It just seems to me that the op may have been trying to illicit an idea that bbm is the reason this person is in his current predicament. I may be wrong because he just posted a news story without an explicit meaning or to pose a topic for discourse. So I am left to assume it was purely for informational purposes or to commandeer a negative response.

Last edited by Mr One 2; 02-09-11 at 02:47 AM.
    02-09-11 02:43 AM
    You are right about that, some people who are severely ignorant may believe bbm is private. I say ignorant in the truest sense of the word, because if you believe anything that you let escape your head via any form of communication is private you are ignorant. It just seems to me that the op may have been trying to illicit an idea that bbm is the reason this person is in his current predicament. I may be wrong because he just posted a news story without an explicit meaning or to pose a topic for discourse. So I am left to assume it was purely for informational purposes or to commandeer a negative response.

I suspect that you're right about attempting to get a negative response.

02-09-11 02:50 AM
    News is news.

CASH likes this.
    02-09-11 03:56 AM
    What's the point of this thread. NVM I see who the OP is, not again Cash just move on please.

It's just a mention of BBM and how the logging done by the BES played a role in a rather large news story in the financial world. And considering that there could be tighter regulations on communications reporting coming for the industry, it could be very important for RIM to say that they still offer the easiest method of compliance in the industry.

I don't see what the griping is about considering most of the threads on the forum are "rIM SUkkxx, I"m leaving!". Why don't you guys circle around those ones?
    CASH likes this.
    02-09-11 12:00 PM
    As far as I know this is an open forum. I read the article and left my thoughts on it my first post. I reiterated my thoughts in my second post and in my last few sentences of said post , I questioned the intentions of the story. The op just posted a story without any statements or questions regarding it. So I made a comment on it and asked if it was just for information or provocation sake. Hardly "griping" as you state but your entitled to you opinion.

02-09-11 02:24 PM
    As far as I know this is an open forum. I read the article and left my thoughts on it my first post. I reiterated my thoughts in my second post and in my last few sentences of said post , I questioned the intentions of the story. The op just posted a story without any statements or questions regarding it. So I made a comment on it and asked if it was just for information or provocation sake. Hardly "griping" as you state but your entitled to you opinion.

Why does he need to provide a statement? It's a news forum about RIM and RIM was in the news because of the BBM messages. It doesn't really need to be more indepth than that.
    CASH likes this.
    02-09-11 02:28 PM
    It is a news section on a BB forum and it was a news story. I made a comment on it saying nothing about the intentions of the poster. The poster immediately after me agreed w my post and referred to the intentions of the op. That's why I was curious about what the original poster wanted feedback on In most cases if you want to have a conversation about something you might say "hey did you hear about this" or I think that's......". So to answer you question, why does he need to make a statement. I reply, he doesn't have to. If he did though we might not be having this conversation now.

02-09-11 02:42 PM
    Chances are you guys (as well as most of the CB crowd) don't read financial newspapers/blogs. I was just sharing this article with the CB community. I could care less if anyone posted a comment or whether or not they were negative or positive.

As for me wanting a negative response... as the saying goes: when you assume... I said absolutely nothing; I just copied and pasted. No where am or the original source using any kind of propaganda.

This makes the guys who were charged with insider trading look bad, not RIM.

Sorry if this isn't "QNX running on the Storm/Torch 3" news.
    02-09-11 08:09 PM
    Sorry if this isn't "QNX running on the Storm/Torch 3" news.
    This. Interesting read, I certainly don't mind seeing BB news that isn't centered on speculation or rumored devices. I'm a casual BB user, I can admit that, and I really don't pay too close of attention to RIM or BB outside of what I see here.

Whatever Cash's stance is, or whatever people are accusing him of, I think the fact that he said nothing is a positive, not flame baiting. He didn't say anything negative, he merely provided a link to newsworthy BB info.
    CASH likes this.
    02-09-11 08:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD