I experienced this just today. I sent a message out to a friend and I keep getting a big X next to my messages to her. Tried to resend but still the same result. At first I thought it was my BIS, so I sent out test messages to a couple of contacts and they all replied promptly. She didn't remove me from her list and I'm positive she's still using a Blackberry device.

What could cause a X symbol to show up next to messages?
    03-18-12 04:49 AM
    Device no longer on BIS. For whatever reason the message cannot be delivered. Device turned off?
    evil.bunny likes this.
    03-18-12 05:33 AM
    I've had it before too.. then later the messages start getting delivered again. Might be a temporary glitch in the receivers BIS connection or something... I really have no idea but it's obviously telling you the msg was not sent for some reason. Normally when you send a message and it goes you just see a Tick... when delivered you see a D and when read you see an R. Thus leads me to assume the X is a not sent at all.

You see the same X in sms messages it's unable to send when the receiving phone number is no longer in use or so.
    evil.bunny likes this.
    03-18-12 05:44 AM
    Just heard back from my friend and she told me her BB is not working, network is down. Thanks for the information! Always good to know what all the symbols might mean in BBM.
    03-18-12 09:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD