My girlfriend and I each have Bb Curve 8530s. She is going to be in Ecuador for the next 10 weeks, so she added the International Roaming plan to her line. She arrived in Ecuador (Quito) today, but we are not able to exchange messages via Blackberry Messenger. She sent me one text message, but mine are not deliverable to her.

Can anybody offer insight as to what the problem might be?
    06-19-10 08:58 PM
    The problem is, that Ecuador uses Quad-Band GSM for data. Since you have the Curve 2 (with no GSM capability) you can not use data there, only voice and text.
    06-19-10 09:39 PM
    wiki:

Ecuador: Telecsa S.A Alegro PCS CDMA 1X - CDMA 1X EVDO network operating in 1900 MHz. Movistar CDMA 1X network operating in 850 MHz.

to the op:.. use of BBM requires access to a data network, either cellular or via wifi.
    1. have you been able to talk.. text?...
    2. can she get data ..like access the web?...

there are ofte issues with sending / receiving SMS txt from abroad.. these are related to inter-carrier issues... and cant be fixed.

if she can get internet data but cannot get thru via BBM then try yahoo IM , Gchat or something else... if she cannot get data, then get her to find a wifi hotspot and schedule a BBM "date"..
    06-23-10 06:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD