I just recently lost my unlocked At&t 8310 Curve w/ T-Mobile service, which had BBM on it....I then got my hands on a 8320 Curve w/ T-Mobile service. I had to reload the device software(I am running v4.5.0.124), I do not have icon for BBM on my screen. It is not hidden or anything like that. I first had the T-Mobile theme in which I switched to the BB Dimension L theme and still nada.....

I went to blackberry.com/messenger and tried to download it there but I get a message saying:

"Sorry, your device does not meet the system requirements that are needed to support BBM for Software Versions 4.0 and 4.1"

Like I stated before I have version 4.5.0.127 (Platform 2.7.0.92).

I searched on here and Google and read some posts and some people had mention that I had to go through Device Manager and install BBM from there.....guess what I have done that also and still no luck.....I thought it was theme based and changed my themes a couple of times and still no icon for BBM.....

It is not even running in the background if you do the application switch thingy.....

So now I'm coming in here to ask this question to find out if anyone else has run into any of this issues........

Am I doing something wrong? Did I miss a step or something?

Thank you in advance in this matter, any tips, ideas, solutions will be greatly appreciated....
    03-23-09 05:08 PM
    I had the same issue when I upgraded to 4.5, try unplugging your computers internet connection then start device manager and see if you can add it.

My verizon 8330 has 4.5 but my carriers highest release is 4.3, because of this the DM doesn't offer and 4.5 upgrades or installs unless I unplug the internet to stop it checking.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-09 06:39 PM
    the computer that I'm using DM with does not connect to the internet. thanks anyway for the idea Russnash.......I wonder if it has anything to do with firewall or security settings...........man this is giving me headaches.........back to drawing board......
    03-24-09 08:45 AM
    go to a friends house that has DM and try to add it threw there computer.
    03-24-09 08:49 AM
    I would try another computer also. Are you making sure BBM is checked on DM when you try to re-add it? It is a very easy process to add it from that. Let us know if you need further assistance.
    03-24-09 08:53 AM
    Same! I also lost my bbm and also my email setup. So I cannot setup my email

03-24-09 09:34 AM
    ok I will try another computer. *it geeks always have like 2-3 pc's at their desk....lol*........

as far as the BBM being checked, yes I have gone as far as going through and unchecking BBM, unplugging BB, battery pull, checked to make sure BBM is off, reconnect to DM, made sure BBM is checked, reinstalled BBM, did another battery pull and still no icon.

Now does BBM need any other Core application to be installed for it to work(I do not add all of the core applications to save space)......also does the fact that I know have MyFaves from T-Mobile have any affect on BBM?
    03-24-09 09:44 AM
    MyFaves doesn't affect BBM. I didn't read the whole thread, so sorry in advance if this has been posted. Locate, download and install the exact OS that's on your BB. Now when you go into app loader in DM, you should be able to check BBM to hsve it loaded on your BB. Internet should not affect this in any way.

03-24-09 09:51 AM
    *damn 71 people viewed and only 7 posts...shakin head....lol*

ok I just attempted to install BBM on another machine, that is off the network and guess what no luck....BBM is still not on my BB........ugh this is stressing me out....lol
    03-24-09 12:10 PM
    So it shows that it installs on the PC to the phone right?

is it showing up under applications screen under the phone in options?

If so it's hidden.....
    03-24-09 12:44 PM
    Yes it shows it did install to the phone......

it is also showing up under applications.

see I thought the same thing that it was hidden, so I did the show all and the icon is still not showing up......

I'm going to test something out....I have another 8320 here that I had to wipe for another issue, I'm going to install the device application and see if it happens on this BB as well

*EDIT*
    Well the new phone already had the software installed when I turned it on.....BBM version is 4.5.0........man this is crazy.......I wonder if this has anything to do with the device application.......do I need to install an earlier version?
    Last edited by michjarv; 03-24-09 at 12:56 PM.
    03-24-09 12:53 PM
    No you shouldn't have to. Are you running a theme that the program could be in a separate folder.?
    03-24-09 01:05 PM
    Yester, T-Mobile puts all it's IM apps in one folder.....I checked in there and still no luck.(well with the T-mobile theme being activated)
    Last edited by michjarv; 03-24-09 at 01:18 PM.
    03-24-09 01:15 PM
    Okay thx for checking, also it doesn't just have to be a t mobile theme or there service. Some 3rd party themes have separate folders and such, just wanted to make sure it was not that case....

Freaking weird.. I will see what else i can find out.
    03-24-09 01:19 PM
    Ok, I think I found a soultion to my issue*I swear I should become a ethical hacker*......well thanks to the nice app JL_CMder, I was able to use the "reset to factory" option, although this wipes your BB, please make sure to backup your BB before using this option. I first attempted it on a spare BB that we had here at work which had the similar issue. Then I backed up data tried it on mine and bang icon for BBM is back....

I would like to thank everyone who replied and attempted to help me with this.......until next time.....
    03-24-09 03:17 PM
    Congrats!!!
    03-24-09 05:22 PM
    I have never used BBM and I didn't have the icon as well, but I found it within the Instant Messenger folder!!! I assume BBM is between you and other BlackBerry owners???

Can you add smileys to this messenger?
    Last edited by calidain; 03-24-09 at 06:11 PM.
    03-24-09 06:02 PM
    calidain, you are correct. it uses the PIN that is unique to all Blackberry devices.
    03-24-09 06:03 PM
    Ok, I think I found a soultion to my issue*I swear I should become a ethical hacker*......well thanks to the nice app JL_CMder, I was able to use the "reset to factory" option, although this wipes your BB, please make sure to backup your BB before using this option. I first attempted it on a spare BB that we had here at work which had the similar issue. Then I backed up data tried it on mine and bang icon for BBM is back....

I would like to thank everyone who replied and attempted to help me with this.......until next time.....

Good to hear!!!!!!!

So reseting it back to factory got it to come up, makes it sound like something in the OS. but I'm sorry I am not sure what it is.
    03-24-09 06:04 PM
    calidain, you are correct. it uses the PIN that is unique to all Blackberry devices.
    Figured it out and using it now, figured out the smileys as well!!!
    03-24-09 06:22 PM
    BBM is my fave application...
    03-24-09 06:24 PM
    Music Note
    05-08-09 10:27 AM
    i just installed 4.5 and i cannot access bbm either. i dont know what to do. i did back up my information before hand, installed my info and still no bbm. please help, i dont really want to restore to factory settings unless i have to...
    05-10-09 11:35 PM
    I have a question as well and hope this is the correct place for this one. I upgraded my BBM to the new one tonight and then upgraded my OS from .53 to .230 and lost my BBM icon. I reinstalled from the desktop manager and got BBM 4.7 back. Went through the process again and lost it again. At one point I had the archived icon and tried to reinstall it from there and moved the icon back to where it was but it vanished again. Before i go back to .53 can some one shed some light on this for me? Thanks.
    10-08-09 03:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD