Today I woke up to nine BBM Broadcasts stating:
    BBM has been hacked, that's why messages are not sending. To get usual service again broadcast this (copy and paste whole thing) 56222544888.
    Obviously I know this is not true, and yes whether or not you receive these kind of messages depends on the clientle you have on BBM, but; you can't deny BBM is slow at the moment (in the UK, all carriers), BIS will not connect via WiFi in the UK* at the moment and RIM has said nothing on the subject, there isn't even a service status page saying that they're aware anything is wrong.

It's this kind of thing (the little occasional slowdowns) and the fact that people react like that (thinking/leading others to think that it's a "hack" or worse yet, that if you don't forward a message on you will be charged or your BBM will cease to work) that's going to tempt people toward the likes of iMessage.

Has anyone heard anything official about the UK outages?

And yes I'm aware you'd have to be pretty foolish to believe any of the circulating messages.

*More people experiencing problems:
    1. no BIS over wifi - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    2. BIS over WIFI stopped working - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    Last edited by GentlemanCool; 06-08-11 at 09:43 AM.
    06-08-11 09:37 AM
    Hoax, chain "letter" or whatever you want to call it.

Delete and forget.

Tell your BBM contacts not to forward junk to you again.
    06-08-11 09:45 AM
    Hoax, chain "letter" or whatever you want to call it.

Delete and forget.

Tell your BBM contacts not to forward junk to you again.
    If you read my post, I've made it very clear that I'm aware that it's a hoax.

I'm just starting a discussion about the outages, and RIM's approach to them. And how this will go down at the same time as iMessage is announced.
    06-08-11 09:58 AM
    If you think iMessage has anything to do with all this you are mistaken and thinking into it way to much...

Broadcast BBM's have been around for a while now. Nothing new and it's always the same message...

Don't worry yourself....
    06-08-11 10:09 AM
    Actually isnt it more likely that imessage is going to get flooded with its own bs of this nature?

"Steve jobs is going to shut down imessage unless you respond to this message"

Every service ive ever used, going back to prodigy and aol through myspace and facebook has had that kind of crap. Once it spread to bbm it seemed natural... Considering iphones tend to be in the hands of the more easily led* out there, id expect stuff like that to be all kinds of out of control on imessage.

*i did NOT say if you have an iphone youre easily led, i said the easily led tend to have iphones. big difference.
    06-08-11 10:15 AM
    06-08-11 10:16 AM
    If you think iMessage has anything to do with all this you are mistaken and thinking into it way to much...

Broadcast BBM's have been around for a while now. Nothing new and it's always the same message...

Don't worry yourself....
    I'm just saying, I'm a huge BBM fan, and I'd stick with it over anything Apple offers, but if they can't even release a official message saying "we're on it" when something goes wrong, it may be likely that people will change. To iMessage and the like.

Actually isnt it more likely that imessage is going to get flooded with its own bs of this nature?

"Steve jobs is going to shut down imessage unless you respond to this message"

Every service ive ever used, going back to prodigy and aol through myspace and facebook has had that kind of crap. Once it spread to bbm it seemed natural... Considering iphones tend to be in the hands of the more easily led* out there, id expect stuff like that to be all kinds of out of control on imessage.
    Yeah I agree, it will be flooded with these kind of messages. The message I received wasn't really the point of my post though. It's more the uptime thing. Will iMessage go down as often? Yes, probably in the long run. But when it's released, brand new, people will assume that it won't, so may be tempted to shift from BBM.

There should be a "service status" page for BIS.

*i did NOT say if you have an iphone youre easily led, i said the easily led tend to have iphones. big difference.
    Good save.
    06-08-11 10:32 AM
    There should be a "service status" page for BIS.
    The only thing BIS has right now is calling your carrier for issues.... Or 3rd party. DataOutages.com - Blackberry & Carrier Service Outage Information Center

But yes it would be nice to have something on Rim's page giving updates, etc.

Also check this.

http://crackberry.com/should-rim-off...-notifications
    GentlemanCool likes this.
    06-08-11 10:37 AM
    [QUOTE=GentlemanCool;6393268]I'm just saying, I'm a huge BBM fan, and I'd stick with it over anything Apple offers, but if they can't even release a official message saying "we're on it" when something goes wrong, it may be likely that people will change. To iMessage and the like.

Yeah I agree, it will be flooded with these kind of messages. The message I received wasn't really the point of my post though. It's more the uptime thing. Will iMessage go down as often? Yes, probably in the long run. But when it's released, brand new, people will assume that it won't, so may be tempted to shift from BBM.

Everyone on these boards who is a BB fan knows that BB is a very if no the most secure network out there. It may have been a small gliche that BB just fixed ans didnt even bother typing a post out too. Also Imessage is just another rip off by apple, something they didnt invent but will tell everybody that they 'need this' and then try and take BB to court stating that they originally created the format or some nonsense.

If you want a toy as a phone, get an iphone. If you want a proper phone, get a BB.
    06-14-11 04:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD