Friend of mine is Claiming his BBM got Hacked.. All his Contacts were deleted, his display named and picture changed... New Display name was 'Atlas the Great'

Anybody know of any such cases ???

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by AwJm; 06-12-10 at 10:03 PM.
    06-12-10 09:10 PM
    There is no BBM hack. More than likely someone was playing with his phone when he wasn't looking.
    06-12-10 09:11 PM
    There is no BBM hack. More than likely someone was playing with his phone when he wasn't looking.
    Agreed, since it is PIN based it would be rather hard to hack into and change anything on.
    06-12-10 09:37 PM
    Guys... He is on my list, when I checked the profile I saw a totally different pin than his original.... He then rebooted the phone and restore a backup of his contacts... Few minutes later his pic was changed again !!! He called Customer Care, they are confused !!!!!

06-12-10 10:06 PM
    Friend of mine is Claiming his BBM got Hacked.. All his Contacts has deleted, his display named and picture changed... New Display name was 'Atlas the Great'

Anybody know of any such cases ???
    Sounds more like a used BB that had the old owners ID (just guessing on the ID bit),and contacts (or lack of contacts), restored to BBM.

If the SD card, was been from the old owner or another BB, it's possible a restore from that SD card, would wipe out contacts from current owner and replace them with the backup's contacts.
    06-12-10 10:08 PM
    Does he back up his BBM through his email? If so, is it possible someone added that email addy to their device and pulled his restore?
    06-12-10 10:09 PM
    Does he back up his BBM through his email? If so, is it possible someone added that email addy to their device and pulled his restore?

Not likely, since PIN:123 would be registered to device email nickname@carrier.blackberry.net for a remote backup, but a local SD backup, could be restored to any BBM the SD card was installed in (who's BBM version allowed for SD card backups.

At least that's how I understand it works.
    06-12-10 10:14 PM
    His device was wiped and Updated to OS 5.0 recently.... Memory card New... This is very puzzling

06-12-10 10:15 PM
    Well guess it's time for him to wipe the device and start from scratch to see if he can reproduce the whatever it is he says happened.
    06-12-10 10:42 PM
    Someone could have added the email, it is possible.

Either way, it is very strange. I would recommend him to change his password that is registered to the device as an extra precautionary measure.
    06-12-10 10:47 PM
    Gonna try contacting RIM

06-12-10 10:53 PM
    Sounds more like a used BB that had the old owners ID (just guessing on the ID bit),and contacts (or lack of contacts), restored to BBM.

If the SD card, was been from the old owner or another BB, it's possible a restore from that SD card, would wipe out contacts from current owner and replace them with the backup's contacts.
    +1. This would be the most likely cause.
    06-12-10 11:46 PM
    Someone could have added the email, it is possible.

Either way, it is very strange. I would recommend him to change his password that is registered to the device as an extra precautionary measure.
    Possible, but the person would need access to his account on his carrier, to access his BIS account to add extra email addresses.

So crazy ex, nutty roomie or some other person he may have trusted and allowed access account, or has a way too easy password to said account.
    06-12-10 11:52 PM
    Well the problem was traced back to a facebook Virus going around ...

My friend got an email appearing to come form Facebook saying that they changed his password and he should open a file to retrieve it .. he did, and that's when his email got hacked I got the same email as well, it was even sent to my facebook berry notifications.. So it looks real.. but i always double check these things.. here is the link ...

Facebook Password Reset Confirmation Trojan Email

But what i still don't get is how it can delete your blackberry contacts, change your pic and replace your pin
    Last edited by AwJm; 06-15-10 at 09:18 AM.
    06-15-10 08:26 AM
    On the topic of "hacking bbm", I heard that there is a website you can go to, put in someone's pin and watch all their conversations!
    06-15-10 08:30 AM
    On the topic of "hacking bbm", I heard that there is a website you can go to, put in someone's pin and watch all their conversations!
    Not true at all.
    06-15-10 09:10 AM
    Not sure what happened to the BBM on my work phone (Tour). I don't use it, daughter set it up for me when I got the phone but she was the only contact, since we do our personal messaging on my other phone where we have our family and friend stuff. She got a strange message from the work phone that appeared to come from me the other day, but I didn't send it. Looked on my work phone and found that the whole BBM profile had changed... it now has someone else's name on it, a strange "status message," and two other contacts on it who are unknown to me, plus my daughter.

The phone hasn't physically been out of my possession, so no one else messed with it. I tried to delete BBM following the instructions on another thread, but I can't do it through the applications menu. Any ideas as to what happened, and how I can fix this?
    08-08-10 05:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD