I never really had a battery problem until right after i installed the newest OS for my Tour. Right after i installed it i also joined three BBM groups which i have never done before either. My battery then started draining rapidly(about 13-14% Average Discharge Rate, sometimes more) thinking i installed the OS wrong i wiped my device and reinstalled the OS, everything seemed fine afterwards. Then i rejoined my BBM groups and almost immediately i could tell the battery was draining much faster. Left all three groups and havent had a problem with the battery. Is this a common problem with BBM groups? If so, is there a fix?
    06-26-10 03:14 PM
    didn't know anyone used BB Groups... it was hyped for about a month or two then everyone that was part of the groups I was on disappeared. but yeah it does drain the battery, that was one of the complaints many users had.
    06-26-10 05:15 PM
    I was part of a full BBM group for a short period of time, but I was forced to leave due to the fact that it down right destroyed my battery life. I'm quite regularly away from home for a day or two at a time, so I need a device that can go a couple of days without a charge. Being part of a BBM group therefore wasn't a practicality, as it would drain my battery life to 50% from full in a couple of hours due to the never ending stream of messages.
    06-26-10 05:38 PM
    yea BBM groups do hog battery. they are constantly updating and i do find they are a drain.
    06-26-10 08:32 PM
    depends on how active they are really...

i'm on 4 groups and usually 1 of them is active most often so i get regular battery life.
    06-26-10 09:02 PM
    Just wanted to let you all know that BBM Groups did kill my battery. I was in one group - wasn't even that active. Today is my first full day without being in a group. My battery life on my 9630 is about 50% better.

Maybe BB will fix this down the road.
    08-13-10 02:24 PM
    Yes. Groups eat battery life.

I'm in a group with 19 members, and we're pretty active. I have a charger at work because my battery will get down to 30ish% after 4-5 hours.
    08-13-10 02:27 PM
    Just wanted to let you all know that BBM Groups did kill my battery. I was in one group - wasn't even that active. Today is my first full day without being in a group. My battery life on my 9630 is about 50% better.

Maybe BB will fix this down the road.
    I was wondering if not so active groups will even kill the battery. I've been deleting 3rd party apps, themes, reinstalling OSes trying to find the culprit to my sudden battery drain and then realized I had just joined a group.

Now I'm wondering if that is it.
    08-19-10 03:34 PM
    Any idea if RIM is aware of this issue? I just started getting involved in groups and they're terrible for battery. If someone leaves of joins the phone lags for 30 minutes. Plus joining a group seems to take hours to fully download all the data.

Why are groups so battery intensive?
    09-30-10 07:40 PM
    im in 3 groups, one is usually very active. the only time i find the battery drain heavily (can go completely dead from 75% in like 4 hrs) is when a new member joins. sometimes, the phone goes into a constant in/out data stream while it updates the new member stuff. but this only happens for a few hours or at most a day until its all loaded up.
    10-02-10 01:54 AM
    The groups do drain your battery. I have 4 groups on my tour but I turn the notifications off so it doesn't kill the battery. Hopefully they fix this because the groups are good so you don't have to broadcast messages to a bunch of people.
    10-02-10 11:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD