Hey, I installed the new BBM a little while back and joined a group a couple days ago. I realized this morning that I now have a "Groups" calendar and Google sync is for some reason syncing my calendar items to this calendar, rather than the calendar associated with my Gmail account. Also, when I click to create a new event on my calendar, it creates it on my Groups calendar by default.

So somehow, it seems the Groups calendar has been set as my default calendar. When I go to Advanced Options -> Default Services, my Gmail calendar is listed as the default calendar service and it is the only option in that dropdown menu.

Any ideas as to how to get my my Gmail calendar set as my default again and get Google sync working properly?

Thanks for the help.

Matt
    11-30-09 12:42 PM
    Anybody experience this problem or have any ideas?
    12-06-09 12:23 AM
    The issue I'm having with BB Groups and Gmail is that my Gmail appointments are showing up on both the Gmail and BB Groups calendar. I really hate seeing doubles of everything. My other calendar seems to be fine (I use more than one calendar, so only selecting one calendar is not an option).

BBM 5.0 is not worth it if it's going to screw around with our calendars.
    12-06-09 02:59 PM
    Hey, I installed the new BBM a little while back and joined a group a couple days ago. I realized this morning that I now have a "Groups" calendar and Google sync is for some reason syncing my calendar items to this calendar, rather than the calendar associated with my Gmail account. Also, when I click to create a new event on my calendar, it creates it on my Groups calendar by default.

So somehow, it seems the Groups calendar has been set as my default calendar. When I go to Advanced Options -> Default Services, my Gmail calendar is listed as the default calendar service and it is the only option in that dropdown menu.

Any ideas as to how to get my my Gmail calendar set as my default again and get Google sync working properly?

Thanks for the help.

Matt
    Matt, having the same problem and am trying to fix it now. just start happening 10 mins ago. even worse, it is sharing all my google sync'd appointments with the BBM group. what a mess!
    12-13-09 01:05 AM
    I had thid exact same issue months back, I just remove myself from the group and then reinstalled my OS. using AppLoader, takes 2mins as there's nothing to update as it's using your current os files.....afterwards the group calender had gone!
    12-13-09 04:43 PM
    i will try this method. thanks
    12-14-09 01:21 AM
    I am having exact same problem. Left the group and trying new google sync at this moment. . .it's still asking me if I want to share with group.

question, If I reload the os as suggested, won't I lose all my third party apps again? I'm also having trouble finding some old ones in DM. thanks!
    12-14-09 08:17 AM
    I had thid exact same issue months back, I just remove myself from the group and then reinstalled my OS. using AppLoader, takes 2mins as there's nothing to update as it's using your current os files.....afterwards the group calender had gone!
    I'm trying this now. .. I may have done it wrong, it says it's going to take 30 minutes and not to disconnect.

How do I select the OS for reinstall?
    Last edited by elsamurai; 12-14-09 at 08:49 AM.
    12-14-09 08:42 AM
    Trying this now. . . thanks for your post. . . I'm new, hope I don't screw it up. Sorry for multiple posts.
    12-14-09 08:48 AM
    I was having the same problem and it was driving me nuts. What I ended up doing was uninstalling BBM then I removed all the calendar events under "Groups" and then reinstalled BBM. I did a battery pull and everything looks fine now.

I ran Google sync and it seems to be working correctly. I only started getting this problem when I upgraded my OS. If you plan on trying these steps make sure you backup you BBM contact list prior to uninstalling.
    12-14-09 10:54 AM
    I was having the same problem and it was driving me nuts. What I ended up doing was uninstalling BBM then I removed all the calendar events under "Groups" and then reinstalled BBM. I did a battery pull and everything looks fine now.

I ran Google sync and it seems to be working correctly. I only started getting this problem when I upgraded my OS. If you plan on trying these steps make sure you backup you BBM contact list prior to uninstalling.

no. the desktop manager / loader will ask you if you want to back them up and reload them. you will lose some 3rd party settings . that's it
    12-14-09 11:29 AM
    Yeah honestly I farted around for day trying to fix this, the only thing that worked was removing the group and I might have removed BBM then re-installed.

It will say may take upto 30mins but providing youre just re-installing the same OS and not upgrading to a newer version which won't hurt either way then it should only take 5mins as it's gonna just reload the same files already on the device. After this a batt pull and upon return the bloody groups calendar was gone and I was left with my main email one!

there's a few other tricks like typing MOVE or WIPE or RSET whilst the calendar in question is highlighted but none of these worked....only the os re-install....

let me know how you go.....
    12-14-09 05:33 PM

Thanks for the help.

Matt
    1. Back up your BBM Contacts to the online data base or your media card.
    2. Leave the BBM group that you've joined.
    3. Remove BBM from your device Options>Applications>(Add on)
    4. The process of removing will restart your device.
    5. Perform a full backup using the Desktop Manager.
    6. Perform a security wipe of the device. (if given the choice, only wipe email, contacts, etc.) You don't need to wipe user installed applications nor Media Card.
    7. After the device wipe, check the calendar application.
    a. Open calendar
    b. Press menu key, select options. The groups calendar should be gone.
    8. Restore from the backup file.
    9. After the restore, check the calendar application again as in no. 7.
    10. You should have calendars for all of your email addresses there.
    11. If you only want one calendar and not multiple calendars:
    a. Go to Options>Advanced Options>Service Books.
    b. Look for your email addresses followed by [CICAL] when you reach each one on the list, press menu and delete.
    12. Go back to the calendar application and open it. Press the menu key and select Options. The only calendar will be the device default. On this screen, type the word MOVE, (you will not see the letters as you're typing it). You will get a pop up asking "Move all appointments in base system calendar to device default?" Select yes. You will get another pop-up "All appointments moved"

13. Reinstall BBM and restore your contacts from the location where they were saved (on-line or the media card)
    06-19-10 10:48 AM
    1. Back up your BBM Contacts to the online data base or your media card.
    2. Leave the BBM group that you've joined.
    3. Remove BBM from your device Options>Applications>(Add on)
    4. The process of removing will restart your device.
    5. Perform a full backup using the Desktop Manager.
    6. Perform a security wipe of the device. (if given the choice, only wipe email, contacts, etc.) You don't need to wipe user installed applications nor Media Card.
    7. After the device wipe, check the calendar application.
    a. Open calendar
    b. Press menu key, select options. The groups calendar should be gone.
    8. Restore from the backup file.
    9. After the restore, check the calendar application again as in no. 7.
    10. You should have calendars for all of your email addresses there.
    11. If you only want one calendar and not multiple calendars:
    a. Go to Options>Advanced Options>Service Books.
    b. Look for your email addresses followed by [CICAL] when you reach each one on the list, press menu and delete.
    12. Go back to the calendar application and open it. Press the menu key and select Options. The only calendar will be the device default. On this screen, type the word MOVE, (you will not see the letters as you're typing it). You will get a pop up asking "Move all appointments in base system calendar to device default?" Select yes. You will get another pop-up "All appointments moved"

13. Reinstall BBM and restore your contacts from the location where they were saved (on-line or the media card)
    Maybe it's just me, but my BBM is under Core, not Add-On's...and as a result I can't delete it. Help?

EDIT: Nevermind, I upgraded my BBM to .57, and it's now under add-ons.
    Last edited by cardu3851; 06-30-10 at 07:00 PM.
    06-30-10 06:05 PM
    Regarding above solutions:

For those of you with BBM 5.0 (mine is a Tour with Verizon), you will find that you cannot delete BBM from your device (thank you RIM for another wonderful forced application). However, there is a way to deleted BB Messenger, and then get rid of the Groups default calendar. Don't waste your time with the Calendar (CICAL) default setting- because even if you set that right - the "Groups" still takes over as your default when you try to add an appointment. You should back up your BBM contacts before you do the following so you can Restore them after you re-install BBM. if you only have a few contacts and don't care, you can just contact your BBM friends and get their PIN later. You need to:

1. Download Blackberry App World (free). (You need a data plan or you will pay for the download of kilobytes). If you already have Blackberry App World - then open it and click on the magnifying glass at the bottom to search. Enter "messenger" (don't enter "Blackberry Messenger" because it won't show up). Scroll down and you will see Blackberry Messenger. Download the program and install (device will restart).

2. After restart - go to Options>Applications. From drop-down at top right (will probably say "Third Party" by default, select "Add-on" Then scroll down to highlight Blackberry Messenger, click once and then click on "delete". After delete - Device will ask to reboot again. Reboot.

3. On restart, go to Options>Advanced Options>Default Services. Make sure your default Calendar (CICAL) shows the email address that you want (e.g. gmail) as your Calendar default. Mine was changed during this process for some reason to a different email address.

4. After saving default changes, go to Calendar and trying clicking on a time to add a new appointment. At top it should say "send using" your default email rather than "groups." "Groups" will still appear in the list as an option - but won't be the default anymore.

5. Now go back to BB Apps World, re-download BBM Messenger as in step 1 and then Restore your BBM contacts if you backed them up (using Options under BBM - scroll down to Restore a Previously Saved copy of your contact list). If you backed up your BBM contacts to a SD card, you need to click on "up" until you see "media card". Click on Media Card, then "Blackberry", then "im", then "Blackberry Messenger," then [your PIN number] (should be only option there besides "up), then "backup" then "BBM {date}" (month and day are reversed so 10-7 is July 10th).

This is the ONLY solution I could find without wiping the device to get rid of this very frustrating and ridiculous problem created by RIM and the Group Calendar.

Good luck!
    07-26-10 01:54 PM
    After hours of searching for a solution.
    This is it !!!!

Regarding above solutions:

For those of you with BBM 5.0 (mine is a Tour with Verizon), you will find that you cannot delete BBM from your device (thank you RIM for another wonderful forced application). However, there is a way to deleted BB Messenger, and then get rid of the Groups default calendar. Don't waste your time with the Calendar (CICAL) default setting- because even if you set that right - the "Groups" still takes over as your default when you try to add an appointment. You should back up your BBM contacts before you do the following so you can Restore them after you re-install BBM. if you only have a few contacts and don't care, you can just contact your BBM friends and get their PIN later. You need to:

1. Download Blackberry App World (free). (You need a data plan or you will pay for the download of kilobytes). If you already have Blackberry App World - then open it and click on the magnifying glass at the bottom to search. Enter "messenger" (don't enter "Blackberry Messenger" because it won't show up). Scroll down and you will see Blackberry Messenger. Download the program and install (device will restart).

2. After restart - go to Options>Applications. From drop-down at top right (will probably say "Third Party" by default, select "Add-on" Then scroll down to highlight Blackberry Messenger, click once and then click on "delete". After delete - Device will ask to reboot again. Reboot.

3. On restart, go to Options>Advanced Options>Default Services. Make sure your default Calendar (CICAL) shows the email address that you want (e.g. gmail) as your Calendar default. Mine was changed during this process for some reason to a different email address.

4. After saving default changes, go to Calendar and trying clicking on a time to add a new appointment. At top it should say "send using" your default email rather than "groups." "Groups" will still appear in the list as an option - but won't be the default anymore.

5. Now go back to BB Apps World, re-download BBM Messenger as in step 1 and then Restore your BBM contacts if you backed them up (using Options under BBM - scroll down to Restore a Previously Saved copy of your contact list). If you backed up your BBM contacts to a SD card, you need to click on "up" until you see "media card". Click on Media Card, then "Blackberry", then "im", then "Blackberry Messenger," then [your PIN number] (should be only option there besides "up), then "backup" then "BBM {date}" (month and day are reversed so 10-7 is July 10th).

This is the ONLY solution I could find without wiping the device to get rid of this very frustrating and ridiculous problem created by RIM and the Group Calendar.

Good luck!
    09-11-10 03:11 PM
    Add a new account to your blackberry (get a new gmail....)
    go to default services and you will see that the default calendar is the new one you added.... switch it back
    save
    delete new account from blackberry.

default calendar should now be your original one
    09-23-10 01:43 PM
    as most of you found out the hard way with the bbm group calendar and sync'ing, i found a fix for my Storm2 without re-installing the OS.

problem:
    after installing bbm5, my calendar defaults to "Groups" and it syncs with outlook. however, it does not sync to my other (email CICAL) calendar. before installing bbm5, i was using "Default" without any CICAL. after installing bbm5, somehow my "Default" became the Group calendar and everything syncs with that. but i don't want that. every time you add an entry, it will ask you if you want to share it with the group.

solution:
    1. backup your device using blackberry desktop
    2. sync your device to outlook
    3. delete all the CICAL from your device. options->advanced setting->service books
    4. go to Calendar. menu->options you should see only Groups there under calendar
    5. type wipe. delete all calendar data
    6. remove battery for 30 seconds. put it back into device.
    7. on blackberry desktop, go to "Backup and Restore"
    8. under advanced, clear the "Calendar" and "Calendar-All"
    9. go to setup on your device, email settings. delete and reinstall the email that you want to use for your calendar settings.
    10. remove battery for 30 seconds. put it back into device.
    11. verify that the new CICAL is installed. check the "Default Services", and select the Calendar CICAL you want to use as default.
    12. go to Calendar, menu->options type move. this will move all the data from Default to your new CICAL. i know there is no data to move because we erased it, but i just did it.
    13. try to make an entry, the default "Send to:" should be your new CICAL. if it's not, then you missed something.
    14. remove battery for 30 seconds. put it back.
    15. go back to blackberry desktop manager and sync it back. it may help that for this first sync, choose one way sync from Outlook to device.
    16. all calendar data should now be in the correct CICAL which is your email address.

theory:
    when i was using calendar without any CICAL, after installing bbm5, the bbm5 calendar became the default. since there was no way of deleting default calendar or the bbm5, the task that was needed to do was to change the device default calendar.

after searching the net, i could not find any solution to do this. and i did not want to reinstall everything.

so, i deleted all the CICAL. then put back the CICAL i wanted. did a wipe on the calendar. then did a move. i was hoping that the move would alter the default calendar. verified the default services to make sure the CICAL i want is selected.

i crossed my fingers and sync'ed the data back to the device, viola! the data went into the CICAL that i wanted.

i hope this will help you guys. i spend 3 days to figure this out.
    09-30-10 03:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD