08-26-11 02:57 AM
42 12
tools
    I have a 3mb data plan
    when I am at my house I turn of the mobile network and leave wifi on
    that let me use blackberry messenger for free and navigate on internet for free, but I cannot receive SMS Text neither calls.
    Interesting why is that? I get sms and calls with wi-fi on. I have 3g on and wi-fi. you could have both I think?
    06-16-09 09:15 PM
    I have a 8320 curve
    I dont have 3G
    When I turn off mobile network i cant receive calls or sms.
    I only leave the wifi on and I can use blackberry messenger and internet for free.
    06-16-09 09:52 PM
    I have the 8320. If I go into one of the buildings @ my school and I have no signal (data or voice), I turn on wifi and use bbm.

As long as you have a data plan registered to your phone, you can use wifi for bbms. If you do not have a data plan, wifi will not power bbm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-09 08:25 AM
    This could have been said in one simple line:

No. BBM requires a connection to RIM servers and if you don't have a BB data plan, then no cigar regardless of whether or not you have wifi.
    If you have the Host Routing Table pre-downloaded on the device, BBM DOES work over WIFI.
    06-17-09 10:53 AM
    If you have the Host Routing Table pre-downloaded on the device, BBM DOES work over WIFI.
    Agreed 100%, I use it all the time over wi-fi
    06-17-09 11:47 AM
    Yep, I have BBM on Wi-Fi only using an 8320, no BIS account or even a valid phone account for that matter. It's a test phone and a backup.
    06-17-09 12:04 PM
    For those of you with no data plan and want BBM, I hear ( did not do it because i have my BB data plan ) that you could take a friends sim that has a data plan download BBM and then use it on you phone over wi-fi.
    Don't know if it's true but I hear it works and it does make sense
    06-17-09 12:11 PM
    For those of you with no data plan and want BBM, I hear ( did not do it because i have my BB data plan ) that you could take a friends sim that has a data plan download BBM and then use it on you phone over wi-fi.
    Don't know if it's true but I hear it works and it does make sense
    All you have to do is take your friends SIM, pop it in your device, let it connect to RIM's NOC and download the HRT, once it does that, take the SIM chip out, then connect to WIFI..
    06-17-09 12:18 PM
    All you have to do is take your friends SIM, pop it in your device, let it connect to RIM's NOC and download the HRT, once it does that, take the SIM chip out, then connect to WIFI..
    Im with AT&T and just got an 8900, my friend is on Tmobile with a blackberry and data plan. Will this work even if we don't use the same carriers, granted that I get my BB unlocked from AT&T first?

i wont use internet on my BB enough to justify paying the $30 data plan from AT&T. I bought my BB from Ebay from someone with AT&T upgrading to an iphone. I'd like to be able to use the internet via WiFi if im sitting in starbucks or somewhere with a connection and use BBM as well if possible without having to pay the $30.
    Last edited by rockstartoys; 07-01-09 at 07:32 AM.
    07-01-09 07:21 AM
    This makes me glad that I'm in America... but, then again, I don't have WiFi. I don't understand the Canadian phone plans!!!!!! Nothing against Canada, I just like that I'm charged one flat rate for unlimited data...
    I pay $15 a month for unlimited data on MTS in Manitoba, Canada, so there are Unlimited data plans in Canada.
    07-01-09 07:48 AM
    Im with AT&T and just got an 8900, my friend is on Tmobile with a blackberry and data plan. Will this work even if we don't use the same carriers, granted that I get my BB unlocked from AT&T first?

i wont use internet on my BB enough to justify paying the $30 data plan from AT&T. I bought my BB from Ebay from someone with AT&T upgrading to an iphone. I'd like to be able to use the internet via WiFi if im sitting in starbucks or somewhere with a connection and use BBM as well if possible without having to pay the $30.
    I think it should work as long as your 8900 is unlocked. Pop the T-Mo SIM chip in, let it download the host routing table, take that out and then pop your ATT SIM back in and as long as you are connected to WIFI, it *should* work.
    07-01-09 11:00 AM
    I think it should work as long as your 8900 is unlocked. Pop the T-Mo SIM chip in, let it download the host routing table, take that out and then pop your ATT SIM back in and as long as you are connected to WIFI, it *should* work.
    sorry im a noob, could you explain how to download the routing table once i pop in the tmobile sim?
    07-01-09 12:21 PM
    sorry im a noob, could you explain how to download the routing table once i pop in the tmobile sim?
    If you've got a BIS/BES data plan, it will do it automatically.
    07-01-09 12:39 PM
    is there a way to connect bbm to wifi instead of mobile data? i just got a bb so im not familiar with its connections and stuff like that. if u do have an answer to that question, could u be more specific about things like Hrt, RIM, or BIS plz. thank you
    01-01-10 10:32 AM
    I have a 3mb data plan
    when I am at my house I turn of the mobile network and leave wifi on
    that let me use blackberry messenger for free and navigate on internet for free, but I cannot receive SMS Text neither calls.
    i get sms fine with just wi fi on...
    01-01-10 02:46 PM
    Ok I got the answer to this question...I think. I called and asked (fido) because i have the blackberry data plan i have access to BBM, now they don't charge me for BBM any data because it's a service offered to all BB user with a BB data plan. so even if im not under wi-if it's still free because i have a BB package. Oh yea and if under wi-fi i dont get charged for any date uses. this is what i was told.
    hii..........ihave the same problem, i wanted to nw wat number you rang to call "fido". thank you
    07-11-11 09:53 AM
    i have a bold 9650 from verizon and is use the bbm with wifi with out date plan : )
    08-26-11 02:57 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD