I was using MS Office Communicator on my PC at work today (it's the official IM used by my company), and wondered why RIM did not enter the corporate IM space. It seems like a low-hanging fruit, given that RIM already has a wildly successful BBM platform on mobile handsets that are used by most large corporations in the world. Why make me switch between Office Communicator on my laptop and BBM on my company-issued BlackBerry? Why can't RIM expand BBM to PC and become the one solution for enterprise messaging?

This is, actually, a reflection of a deeper problem in BlackBerry's legacy architecture and business model. The reason they couldn't develop BBM for PC is the same reason e-mail and BBM were not in the original PlayBook. And, as speculated elsewhere, it is also for the same reason that BBM still does not exist on PlayBook OS 2.0 (although they adopted ActiveSync for PIM).

From what I see, the structural problem is 2 folds:

(1) The "1 device/PIN per person" assumption is deeply hardcoded into the BES/BIS/NOC software. It is extraordinarily difficult to rewrite years of code that were created based on this assumption. It seems like the Mobile Fusion platform is intended to be the solution to this, but details are still to be seen.

Ideally, we have a new platform that allows one BBID, one BBM account, on multiple device PINs, WHILE being able to interoperate with the legacy BBOS devices. At this point I am still unsure if this is even technologically possible.

(2) Their service business model is based on BlackBerry subscription fees that carriers pay RIM every month (and which are embedded in the end-users' mobile plans). This is a $1 billion per quarter business. This fee is mainly for the BIS/NOC connection that enables push e-mails and BBM on BlackBerry handsets, among other things. NO other manufacturer requires carriers to pay a service fee.

If they start by-passing the carriers, and offer BBM for free on platforms such as a Wi-Fi PlayBook or PC, that would also means they need to offer NOC for free. This would seriously disrupt the value proposition for the carrier's NOC fee, and thus disrupting the 1 billion dollar service revenue.

Both of these problems are fundamental to BlackBerry's old model and seems to be very difficult to overcome. I'd like to hear anybody thoughts on these, especially from insiders who have a finger on what the final solution will be. I have some ideas of my own that I might post later on this thread.

Needless to say, it is absolutely essential that they solve BBM prior to the release of BB10 phones. May be they already have a solution - if so, we can speculate here what it will be. But if they *still* do not have a solution, then I sure hope the ones in charge at RIM read this post urgently.
    01-27-12 07:27 PM
    Nice post, thank you for share
    01-27-12 08:34 PM
    I have the client for MS Office Communicator running flawlessly on my 9930. All my OCM contacts are there and it provides real-time availability.
    01-30-12 11:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD