Discuss.

11-18-11 08:56 AM
    ummm why?

Another location that redirects/stores my files=another place I have to worry about going offline.
    11-18-11 01:53 PM
    ummm why?

Another location that redirects/stores my files=another place I have to worry about going offline.
    That's the beauty of the cloud 'theorethically' it can't go down.

The reason for this mock up is simple, share big files with BBM friends, convenient, handy, fast and just like you'd transfer files now it would be the exact same on the front-end (user) but just different mechanics on the back-en (handling of the transfers).

Benefits: No caps on filesize, file transfer initiated via BBM but also accessible on Playbook (thanks to cloud storage tied to your blackberry ID)....

More Benefits: no server stress on RIM's end. Servers don't need to 'monitor' the transfer and therefor use up resources. I can imagine X amount of people sending files can put some stress on servers and slow them down..

Even More Benefits: Avatars and files stay in the cloud (tied to your blackberry ID) so if you want to send a file or change an avatar you can choose between 'already uploaded' files, avatars so you don't have to upload again to a friend => saves on bandwidth, saves on server resources.

I'm seeing nothing but good stuff here....anyone to proof me wrong? I love a good discussion, so discuss.
    Last edited by wout000; 11-18-11 at 03:46 PM.
    11-18-11 03:40 PM
    That's the beauty of the cloud 'theorethically' it can't go down.

I don't know if RIM would be willing to invest in an idea like this for the following reasons:

1. If RIM hosts such cloud based storage, it would be responsible for keeping it up. In light of the recent service outage debacle, if a cloud service outage was to hit RIM, it would drive even more people away.

2. Say RIM outsources the cloud storage to a third party host, consumers would still expect RIM level security and privacy...from a party that may not have access to RIM's proprietary security measures/encryptions. And if consumers aren't aware of the back-end handling of delivery, say this third party were to get breached, who do you think the end user would blame?

The suggestion of tying downloads to BBID (thus making them accessible across multiple BB devices) is pretty cool. But I don't know how feasible this would be specifically to BBM, as RIM is reportedly having difficulties as is porting the app over to QNX.

3. If file transfer across devices is the idea, why not use existing solutions like Dropbox? Granted they may not employ BB level encryption, but they are an already existing solution.
    11-18-11 06:41 PM

I don't know if RIM would be willing to invest in an idea like this for the following reasons:

1. If RIM hosts such cloud based storage, it would be responsible for keeping it up. In light of the recent service outage debacle, if a cloud service outage was to hit RIM, it would drive even more people away.

2. Say RIM outsources the cloud storage to a third party host, consumers would still expect RIM level security and privacy...from a party that may not have access to RIM's proprietary security measures/encryptions. And if consumers aren't aware of the back-end handling of delivery, say this third party were to get breached, who do you think the end user would blame?

The suggestion of tying downloads to BBID (thus making them accessible across multiple BB devices) is pretty cool. But I don't know how feasible this would be specifically to BBM, as RIM is reportedly having difficulties as is porting the app over to QNX.

3. If file transfer across devices is the idea, why not use existing solutions like Dropbox? Granted they may not employ BB level encryption, but they are an already existing solution.
    1. They already have a cloud, BBM MUSIC. Granted, it's provided and maintained by Omnifone, but seriously every contending provider of services has a cloud and offers cloud based services. RIM should be no different. In terms of keeping it, well that's the beauty of a cloud, if one piece of hardware fails, the other takes over...
    This would be no major shift from maintaining BIS servers.

2. Obviously, 3rd party clouds are out of the question in case of privacy and security (this is why we're having a constructive discussion). Just so you know, the BBM Music cloud is maintained by Omnifone, so not really within the RIM ecosystem either...
    I read on the beta forums that BBM Music users are asking for a feature that would allow BBM Music to connect to BBM so here's another reason why they should move to a cloud based system and maintain it within the RIM ecosystem, users want it.

3. File transfer straight from device to device isn't achieved with third party apps and lockers like dropbox. You need to upload, get a link, send the link and wait for the recipient to download it. You have no idea if he did download it, if he has seen it (in case of video or picture, etc...) It's just a half-assed way now.

By using the cloud, nothing will change for the end-user, you'll still send a file transfer request and the recipient still has to accept, you can still see how fast it's transferring, and if he got it or not. It's just the file will be uploaded to the cloud first (or pieces of it) to allow for faster transfer overall and less stress on BIS servers. Another benefit is the virtual unlimited filesize and if tied together to your Blackberry ID (which RIM is banking on so it seems) it will allow you to send the same file to other recipients without the need to re-upload it.
    Last edited by wout000; 11-20-11 at 11:15 AM. Reason: edited spelling mistake
    11-19-11 10:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD