I have been a loyal (borderline fanatical) BlackBerry user for 2 years now, in that time I have had 4 8130s (rubbish), a 9000 (my fav RIP) and two 9700s. The reason I had 4 pearls was they kept failing on me for various reasons, in my humble opinion they were very poorly built phones, the 9000 was rock solid until the day it died I loved the size of that phone, and last but not least my 9700 I love the speed and the addition of the trackpad and native OS5 support.

First I'll start with what I love about blackberrys, I love the push email I rarely check my email on my notebook since joining the crackberry nation, I adore BlackBerry Messenger, I have family and friends on every continent and it makes it very convenient to stay in contact with them all and share pictures and whatnot.

However thats where the love ends for me, after seeing the amazing hardware and software innovations of Apple (new iPhone), HTC (Droid Incredible/EVO 4G), Google (Nexus One) and Samsung (Galaxy S) with their 5+MP cameras, front facing cameras, 1Ghz CPUs, intuitive HD displays, gobs of ram and application memory, 720p video recording with onboard editing, a true "desktop like" browsing experience, and thousands more apps than BlackBerrys have, I find myself wondering why do I remain so loyal to RIM. In enterprise settings I firmly believe RIM is top, but the large majority of us use our berries as a consumer device, so I ask you is BBM and push email enough to excuse RIM's antiquated hardware?

I sincerely hope RIM wows us with its next generation devices, 9800, storm3 etc. because apart from enterprises and us "fanboys" RIM will not be able to hold onto the tech savvy consumer if they fail to "keep up with the jones'"

So I ask you is BBM enough?

If this has been asked before I apologize in advance.
    Last edited by Crazed; 06-08-10 at 03:39 AM.
    06-08-10 03:22 AM
    i went the other way around, i started with the fancypants-touchscreen-camera-plastictoy phones linke htc touch pro, nok n97,n82,n85, sam galaxy, before i tried bb, and i never looked back.
    off course its tempting with a hi res camera, 4" screen and amoled, but the thing i love about my bb(9000), aside from bbm, push mail, security etc, is that it ALLWAYS works. minimal sw problems, no more freezing up, turning itself of, coverage drop, buggy apps etc, which was the main problems of my htc(broke 4-5 times in 9 months), N97(3times in 2months), n82(5times in 15months), galaxy(2times in 2 months).
    So if you want a phone that works when you need it, and has the best email/im solution on the marked. . . .stick to BB . :-)

my 2 cents
    06-08-10 04:16 AM
    Im starting to realize BBM is the only reason why ive stayed with BB so long.
    06-08-10 04:31 AM
    With the iPhone4 apparantly they are making something like the BBM for the iPhone. If RIM doesn't start making their berries with decent hardware (yeah the 9800 has a 5mp camera, and touchscreen+full qwerty) but it doesn't have the snapdragon, and will probably have like 512MB of ram, which is really not enough for most people. (I personally use a lot of apps on my BB and the shortage of memory really hurts on which I want/can keep)
    I am in the same boat as you. I pretty much been with the berries for past 2 years because of BBM. Yeah the push email is really awesome, and the security is the best, but I have been wondering the same thing, is it enough for me? Sure, for most people it's all they need, but seriously, RIM needs to step up their game and start putting some juice inside their berries (more ram, snapdragons, better res on their newer devices and so on). If the iPhone4 does have something like the BBM, I will be switching until RIM decides to step it up a notch.

I am in no way bashing RIM, they still top the market share for a reason, but they need to get either some younger guys working for their development team, because the older generation is sure going to probably take a berry over anything else, just because of it's simplicity, but the new generation is more tech savvy, and with the amount of choices they have, the simplicity of berries wont be enough for most.

Just my 2cents
    06-08-10 04:45 AM
    Blackberry will never die. Sure, it won't appeal to people wishing to have a personal phone, however, in the business world, you cannot top it.

I'd say 98% of people I know who have a company issued phone uses a Blackberry. You cannot beat it in terms of features for the corporate world.

And due to that reason, BB will never die.
    06-08-10 09:46 AM
    My bold is my personal phone. I barely use bbm. I have played with my niece's droid and I hated it. BBs are the phone for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-10 09:54 AM
    Thank God I have my nice simple BlackBerry! Lord knows at my age I need somethinq easy to use. Like a tin can and a string. Now that was a device I could understand!

Now where's my rumitism medicine? Darn! It's on the other side of the room, now I have to get my walker out to hobble over there and get it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-10 10:19 AM
    Okay can we just agree everyone has different opinions on which phone is the best and what they like is personal preference before this turns into a 4 page debate?
    06-08-10 12:26 PM
    I was just at the Sprint store playing with the Evo and I must say that it is a very very nice phone and the OS is great. I started using BB for my corp email, at first it was solely for that, then it turned into more and I started using my work BB for personal use as well. When I lost my job I switched my personal cell to a BB and I do love it, but the OP is correct, is BBM and push email enough? The only thing holding me to my BB is BBM, that is it, push email is nice but not a requirement for me.

The screen on the Evo is huge, and the phone is huge as well but it is thin. I have heard of BB users moving to Android and love it and some who hate it. This is a very tough decision for me, I have no clue what is on the horizon from RIM for the CDMA world, if I knew the slider was coming soon then I would most likely stick around.
    06-08-10 06:03 PM
    Yep, add to that really, really good reception and being the only smartphone that has a battery life of more than a working day and you've got why I'm still with BlackBerry.

...but I face the same dilemma - especially with the release of the iPhone 4. I discount Android because I think it's still an inconsistent UEX, its battery life is absolute crap, especially when merged with that HTC Sense needless-waste-of-time-bollocks that just eats CPU and clutters the screen.

My main gripes about swapping to iPhone have always been multitasking, push and a sense of just 'getting things done'. Now, the multi-tasking, better battery life, and the huge majority of apps in the Apple app store supporting push notifications, my only argument is 'getting things done' and the fact that I'm a stick-in-the-mud for RIM.
    I look at OS 6 now, and I think it's UGLIER than OS5. The slider is a nice looking device, but it's not for me.
    I'm going to hold out on the iPhone 4 and stick with my 9700 till upgrade time next May, but if RIM haven't got something imminent or released by then, I'll be leaving. BBM and getting-things-done (something I could almost certainly learn to do on different software; think PC vs. Mac) are rapidly-failing reasons to stick with the platform.

It's a bittersweet but truthful view of RIM, I feel. When I first got a BB (8310, then 9000), the iPhone 1 was already out, and BB was still ahead of the game. Now, it's just failing to keep up, and not purely on a consumer side either, despite what people say on this forum.
    06-08-10 06:27 PM
    Is push email and BBM enough to stay with BlackBerries? My answer is YES, YES, and YES.
    The most important feature of a BlackBerry is the ability to stay connected with people, may it be via email or BBM. There is no device out there (as far as I know) wich has this ability other than a BB.

Instant messaging apps are a different issue. Not everone has BeeJive, IM, AOL messanger etc installed, but every single BB can communicate with the other! Same thing with push email. BB's push is so solid, I would miss it if I didn't have it.

Can I do without having a camera at all, not having music on my phone, not having any apps, not having a browser, YES I CAN. But not having push email and BBM (other than SMS and MMS) + great battery life, that I can not.

I argue that most of us need Push email and BBM for the sake of communication, but can do without all the fun/play/extras stuff, although the fun stuff is soooooo impressive. That is why BBs are so great and we hesitate to switch to anything else.

PS: Apple could simply add a standardized Iphone Messanger just like a BBM. I bet every single Iphone can be identified and has a device PIN so to speak. So why dont they just do it? Spend $1 billion on a server and lets go. Same with email push. Maybe they just dont want to copy RIM...who knows.
    Last edited by Vlad M.; 06-08-10 at 08:30 PM.
    06-08-10 08:14 PM
    Nope and no. Pushed truncated fake html email where I cannot manage my folders and an IM messaging system that's restricted to one platform is useless. I prefer having real html email and since I have friends all over the place with different platforms, it's convenient chatting with them through Gtalk or AIM even when we change devices and platforms. Good luck holding your hat on battery life. Of course with compressed watered down data.
    06-08-10 08:24 PM
    for some yea it's enough.. for others no it's not. Some love it and some hate it. some use it and some don't.
    06-08-10 09:58 PM
    So I ask you is BBM enough?

If this has been asked before I apologize in advance.
    No and I am always amused whenever I read someone say "BBM is the reason
    I stay with BlackBerry."

Don't get me wrong, it is a great app but it is limits your communication to
    a closed circle of people. If ALL the people one knows uses BlackBerry then fine.

For most however, we know people who use all sorts of devices and with
    SMS, IM apps be it a single client, a paid multi-client or one of the really good
    free multi-clients BBM seems very limiting and certainly not enough to keep me
    with BlackBerry.
    06-08-10 10:17 PM
    problem with your post is when you say"tech savvy consumers" 95% of consumers are so far from tech savvy it aint even funny. RIM knows what they are doing going after them. They will stick with their berry far longer than us "early adopters" will stcik with any phone...

Get it?
    06-08-10 10:18 PM
    BBM isn't the end all and be all, but it is most certainly a major part of my Blackberry addiction.

I have a few friends that have left to go to iPhone/Android, they are now always the last to know about things, and the last to be invited to stuff, the reason being none of the communication tools match BBM for low connectivity area's MSN/Yahoo/Gtalk all log out and don't auto reconnect when data/radio gets disconnected BBM resends automatically, it updates a status "going out on the boat at 5 who's coming?" only the BBM people show up.
    IT IS the best communication tool of all the phones.

NOW, the hardware is really what keeps me loving my BB as well, the keyboard is unmatched, I HATE HATE HATE the Apple keyboard on my iPod touch, and have not used other touch screen keyboards since WinMo6 which I used a Stylus for. I like a physical keyboard, in portrait mode. BB does it and does it the best.

I could care less about HTML email, I hate images in signatures, and I just want to read the content, BB's display the text beautifully!

App Memory for me is no issue again, I'll install less than 10 apps, those who are using Bold 9000's are seeing 8 times the app space on the 9800 proposed, I can't see if you have ANY space at all on the 9000 that you wont be fine with a next gen BB.

but people love to tout numbers.
    I love my BB, and people are welcome to try others,
    But lack of BBM you'll miss some boating days
    06-08-10 10:54 PM
    BBM and push email are certainly not enough to keep me from switching. I will be switching to the evo soon. There are so many other features on that phone that I will be able to use and will utilize than with my bb. Will I miss bbm. Sure. But all those people have an IM client on there phone so I will keep in contact with them thru that or sms. It is a simple switch for me. I will get way more out of an evo than I am my bb. So I will switch. I know android and touch screens aren't for everybody. But I don't mind them. I have been having so many problems with my tour I will be happy to give it up and switch to a different platform.
    06-08-10 11:23 PM
    My Tour has horrible battery life...
    06-09-10 12:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD