I arrived in england yesterday from canada. I have used bbm over wifi at home in the paast. However when connected to the wifi at the hotel here in england neither bbm or email is working. I am on the latest 6.0 os offered by telus (.461).

My wife has a bold 9700 and the bbm and email works fine.

Any thoughts/ideas on what I can try to fix? I called my carrier but they just tell me it must be firewall issue which obviously isn't the case.

Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-11 02:33 AM
    have u tried to restart ur phone
    04-01-11 03:41 AM
    BBM and Email I believe are BIS Services. You need a Blackberry Data Plan in the UK in order to use your BBM and Email.
    04-01-11 11:27 AM
    BBM and Email I believe are BIS Services. You need a Blackberry Data Plan in the UK in order to use your BBM and Email.
    OP said wife's 9700 works fine and BBM and e-mail can be routed to BIS through WIFI.

Is your wife's 9700 on OS 6 or still on OS 5?
    04-01-11 11:50 AM
    Make sure Data is turned on, wifi preferred. If data is off, then no BIS.

04-01-11 11:58 AM
    My wife hsd os 5.0 leading me to think that could be the issue. I doubt it would be that she has 9700 and I have the 9780 which is a week old.

I have tried battery pull several times. We both have data plans and data is off while roaming but I was told by a telus rep bbm and email should work anywhere with wifi. Otherwise the data is set to on, just off while roaming.

This sucks!!! Not sure what I can even try!

04-01-11 12:25 PM
    Make sure Data is turned on, wifi preferred. If data is off, then no BIS.
    Would you be so kind and point us where such settings can be found in OS 6?
    04-01-11 12:39 PM
    I guess I failed my exam. Manage Connections, Mobile Network, Data on. Can't pick wifi preferred. I use too many phones. Lol.

04-01-11 01:08 PM
    I have tried battery pull several times. We both have data plans and data is off while roaming but I was told by a telus rep bbm and email should work anywhere with wifi. Otherwise the data is set to on, just off while roaming.
    You were given the wrong information by the Telus rep.

Data must be ON, and ON whilst roaming for BBM/email to work over wifi or network.

That option is only available on carrier devices that support UMA.
    04-01-11 01:13 PM
    I called telus again and she told me that I should turn my data while roaming on so the phone can register itself with the berry server then turn it off amd it should work on wifi after.

I have since tried that however when turning roaming data on, bbm still refuses to work. Now I'm really lost...

04-01-11 01:30 PM
    I called telus again and she told me that I should turn my data while roaming on so the phone can register itself with the berry server then turn it off amd it should work on wifi after.

I have since tried that however when turning roaming data on, bbm still refuses to work. Now I'm really lost...
    Telus are wrong again...

Data while roaming needs to be ON and remain ON for a BIS connection to be established, and for BBM/email to work.

To check whether you have an active BIS connection, you should have either 3G and the BlackBerry symbol, or EDGE in caps, or GPRS in caps by the signal meter on your homescreen. If you have none of these, then you're not connected to BIS and BBM/email will not work.
    04-01-11 01:53 PM
    Well I just spoke to ANOTHER telus rep and he agreed with you Phil that connecting then disconnecting from roaming data is ridiculous. I did try it however gladly I have an international roaming block on my account which is why it wouldn't work.

The latest suggestion is that it must be firewall issues in the hotel. Oddly enough like I mentioned before my wifes phone was able to send/receive thru bbm amd email but today has decided to stop working.

I am told everything is right on my end with the phone, I just can't test the wifi unfortunately. Anyone know what port bbm uses and if I can test it? I did also try bbm at a service station wifi hotspot and no luck there either.

I love my berry when it works but this is making me a sad panda...

04-01-11 02:13 PM
    Oh ya and I have 3g in the corner of my phone. No berry symbol tho.

04-01-11 02:13 PM
    No berry symbol, it is not going to work.
    04-01-11 02:34 PM
    International Roaming Block on your account? That would explain this entire thing. You need to be able to access your BIS whether it be in Canada or the UK. I'm not sure what's different between your 9780 and your 9700 but it strikes me as odd. Something must be different.
    04-01-11 02:43 PM
    Wait, so if OP were to connect with Mobile Network OFF, WiFi ON and Data Services ON, do you still get charged as roaming?
    04-01-11 03:25 PM
    International Roaming Block on your account? That would explain this entire thing. You need to be able to access your BIS whether it be in Canada or the UK. I'm not sure what's different between your 9780 and your 9700 but it strikes me as odd. Something must be different.
    I'm assured by the rep that the international roaming block has nothing to do with it and I would agree as wifi basically bypasses the need for the carrier network. The pin and mac address are unique so I would think it would communicate correctly. Or should anyways...

Unless somehow making the data connection then disconnecting would be right. Obviously I can't so that with the block enabled. Although if I do remove the block, even connecting momentarily I risk a hefty charge as its a $25/mb rate for data.

I think I need to try wifi that I can play around with and count that in or out as the issue. Hopefully my family I will be visiting next has wifi... Le sigh

04-01-11 03:34 PM
    Your rep is wrong yet again Darren

Without international roaming activated on your account, you won't get BIS overseas, and therefore won't be able to use BBM/email over wifi... period
    04-01-11 03:54 PM
    Your rep is wrong yet again Darren

Without international roaming activated on your account, you won't get BIS overseas, and therefore won't be able to use BBM/email over wifi... period
    Damn tech support dummies... Ok I will try tomorrow to call them again and have them remove the block on the account and see if I get anywhere with that. Thanks for the help so far everyone!

04-01-11 05:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD