Hi everyone! This is my first post here so excuse my ignorance.
    I live in Italy, I recently switched from an iPhone 3GS to a BlackBerry 9700, and it's awesome, I'm not even excited about the iPhone 4 as much as I am about the BlackBerry Slider. So far, I had no problems at all, changing my plan went smoothly, BIS works well and I am very satisfied.
    I do have a dilemma though: I will be traveling a lot this summer and, as I always do, I keep my data services on. That was not a problem for my iPhone because they offer some plans like Daily Travel iPhone or something like that.. But they don't do that for BlackBerry, at all! Although they don't have a specific plan, you can use BIS in roaming, they are a little bit pricey on this one:
    TIM: 0.8cent/KB + 12euros/month
    Vodafone: 1euro/day for 1MB. The 1MB expires if not used + 12euros/month.
    Wind: 0.3cent/KB + 10euros/month.
    H3G: 2euros/MB + 5euros/month.
    I will be using only the BlackBerry Messenger, to chat with a few contacts, I do chat a lot though.. I have one email account which I will temporarily disable, I can check my email when I am on WiFi, that's not really a problem.
    So which carrier would you choose if you were me? How many traffic does the BlackBerry Messenger need?
    Thank you all for your answers!
    06-09-10 08:05 AM
    BBM uses data. You need a Blackberry Plan for it or it won't work. The H3G looks like the best deal.
    06-09-10 08:33 AM
    Thank you for your answer! I just got off the phone with TIM and H3G (also known as 3 or three).TIM, which is also my provider since 2006, told me I cannot travel with my BlackBerry using their roaming internet service since it won't be working in other countries the handled itself! I was trying to tell the lady my BlackBerry is not sim-locked (it's not even italian..) but she insisted it won't work. Even if I was sure about using my phone worldwide since the Bold has always been a world phone, I called three and asked about that and for more details. They said I can use my phone wherever they have a roaming partnership, confirmed the details about the offer, told me I don't get to pay the 5euros fee for one month and they also told me that I get free BIS when I'm in Australia, Denmark, Indonesia, Hong Kong, UK, Ireland or Sverige which is kinda neat considering it's a prepaid SIM after all (some of our providers don't even offer BIS without a contract).
    I will most likely stick with H3G and I was thinking about downgrading the BBM application on my phone to 4.7 so it will not check for status updates or profile pictures, is it difficult to do that? Can I upgrade when I come back? Do I still get the same experience? Does it help at all?
    06-09-10 10:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD