Hi all

I'm getting the 9900 as soon as its out and my wife currently has a BB 8110 (IIRC) its perfectly fine for her needs but I want to start using BBM between us both, now my new 9900 will have BIS & a data plan but my wifes contract currently doesn't have any BIS or data, so....

....can I just add BIS only to her account for us to use BBM between us or will she have to have a data plan added as well as the BIS?

Thanks all
    06-29-11 09:41 AM
    BIS is actually a data plan (it stands for BlackBerry Internet Service) if you want your BlackBerry to access all BlackBerry services properly, such as BBM, then you have to have a BIS plan.

So the short answer is Yes, all you have to add to her account is BIS and then you'll be able to BBM with her.

By the way...you will only need BIS on your 9900 as well...
    06-29-11 11:59 AM
    BIS is actually a data plan (it stands for BlackBerry Internet Service) if you want your BlackBerry to access all BlackBerry services properly, such as BBM, then you have to have a BIS plan.

So the short answer is Yes, all you have to add to her account is BIS and then you'll be able to BBM with her.

By the way...you will only need BIS on your 9900 as well...
    Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Interesting, for some reason I thought that the BIS only gave me access to the blackberry services and then I'd need the data plan as well, as I'd be using my carriers network to access the net etc?

Do you know how much data the BIS gives you per month, or is it unlimited?

Thanks again
    06-29-11 06:07 PM
    Every carrier has different plans. Here in the US we are seeing tiered plans with more data at a higher price. Good news is BB data compression so the usage is smaller than other smartphones.
    06-29-11 07:18 PM
    Sorry I should have expanded my answer - BIS is the BlackBerry equivalent of a data plan. BIS runs through RIM's servers but essentially gives you the same access as a data plan for say an iPhone or Android device. Running it through RIM's servers it what makes a BB so secure.

Also as mentioned above RIM does data compression so if all your wife is doing is bbm'g with you she probably won't need a lot of data. Each country & carrier has different data amounts available. If your carrier currently has an unlimited data plan option then they will most likely have an equivalent BIS plan. At least that's the way it is here in Canada; for every regular data plan there's a simiar BIS plan available.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-11 09:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD