I guess I'm just paranoid about being nailed with a nasty bill. I have a Blackberry Data Plan, but I'd love to be able to use my home's Wi-Fi connection to avoid incurring data charges. Now to the question:

If I use my Wi-Fi connection at home with the Mobile Network OFF, will I be able to send/receive pictures on BBM without incurring outgoing or incoming data charges (with the data simply being used on my Wi-Fi instead of my mobile carrier)?
    01-03-12 09:05 PM
    Yep, bbm should work just fine on wifi only.
    01-03-12 09:08 PM
    But would I receive charges from my mobile carrier by sending pictures or other data through my Wi-Fi? (taking into consideration that the mobile network is disabled)
    01-03-12 09:10 PM
    I guess I'm just paranoid about being nailed with a nasty bill. I have a Blackberry Data Plan, but I'd love to be able to use my home's Wi-Fi connection to avoid incurring data charges. Now to the question:

If I use my Wi-Fi connection at home with the Mobile Network OFF, will I be able to send/receive pictures on BBM without incurring outgoing or incoming data charges (with the data simply being used on my Wi-Fi instead of my mobile carrier)?
    who's your carrier? charging for data even with wifi!!!? this is absurd. if they do so then dump them and switch. they have no right to charge you for data under wifi.
    01-03-12 11:22 PM
    If wifi is on it doesn't go against your data plan.
    01-03-12 11:26 PM
    You can send BBM messages and pictures/files over wifi with no problem, but so long as you're connected via wifi (regardless of whether your mobile network is on or off), your BBM messages will send over wifi. Your phone may still use data, but that's just for apps that don't work over wifi.

As a heads up, if you're a new BlackBerry user, so long as you have a 500MB data plan and don't stream audio/video without wifi access, you will not have to worry about getting charged extra for data. Even a 100MB data plan is typically fine if all you're really doing is using BBM and email.
    01-03-12 11:31 PM
    But would I receive charges from my mobile carrier by sending pictures or other data through my Wi-Fi? (taking into consideration that the mobile network is disabled)
    If mobile network is disabled you will not be charged for data consumption from your carrier. Can't be charged for something that is not connected....
    01-04-12 03:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD