07-14-10 05:17 PM
38 12
tools
    That link takes you here:

Did you take your browser ID off BlackBerry by chance?
    The link takes me there but when I log in.. It will give me that msg I posted up in red at the top. Tried it on wap and internet explorer ID

I don't see bbm in the list of applications I can download to request a code

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-10 12:48 PM
    The link takes me there but when I log in.. It will give me that msg I posted up in red at the top. Tried it on wap and internet explorer ID

I don't see bbm in the list of applications I can download to request a code

IC, that's different. Try logging on through the main portal:

https://www.blackberry.com/beta/portals/index/

Good luck, the beta is outstanding.

Edit - BTW, I checked news on the site, expecting to find the program was now closed, but it's not. That would have prompted me to see AppWorld for the new version. Odd you're having trouble, but the main link should do the trick.
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 07-09-10 at 01:44 PM.
    07-09-10 01:39 PM

Edit - BTW, I checked news on the site, expecting to find the program was now closed, but it's not. That would have prompted me to see AppWorld for the new version. Odd you're having trouble, but the main link should do the trick.
    What exactly makes it outstanding?

07-09-10 02:07 PM
    What exactly makes it outstanding?

Can I smack you? Actually a good question Scott. I'll try my best to cover it all.

Major issues resolved from public BBM:
    Lag is virtually eliminated on this build.
    Freezing, something that seems a big problem with some Storm users is resolved.

Major improvements:
    Smileys are big enough to recognize.
    Images, even small file sized gif's are sent as clickable thumbnails, and when clicked are the size they were sent. Further clicks will zoom the image. All this without need for a preview/accept/cancel button. They are just there. You can hit the menu button, and save them wherever you'd like.
    The menu itself is greatly improvedan and works more like the media menu in OS 5.0 does. There are sub-lists for items like Send and Contact.
    The avatars are slightly larger, and changing one simpler.
    The ability to link SMS with BBM or not of course.
    You can truncate your contact list to just one line.
    Groups have a slightly different look to them, and work better.

I hope that covers enough, though I'm sure others will add more, and I'll remember more myself.
    07-09-10 02:42 PM
    Can I smack you? Actually a good question Scott. I'll try my best to cover it all.

Major issues resolved from public BBM:
    Lag is virtually eliminated on this build.
    Freezing, something that seems a big problem with some Storm users is resolved.

Major improvements:
    Images, even small file sized gif's are sent as clickable thumbnails, and when clicked are the size they were sent. Further clicks will zoom the image. All this without need for a preview/accept/cancel button. They are just there. You can hit the menu button, and save them wherever you'd like.
    The menu itself is greatly improvedan and works more like the media menu in OS 5.0 does. There are sub-lists for items like Send and Contact.

I hope that covers enough, though I'm sure others will add more, and I'll remember more myself.
    Thank you Ed.

No you can't smack me, that is my wife's job

For me there is NO lag..ZERO... I love the pictures just being there, no previewing/accepting bla bla bla....Smileys don't seem any bigger or clearer to me though but that could be other issues.

It is nice to know what some of the perks are on certain BETA's
    07-09-10 03:40 PM
    you are using the UD as a valid source for word meanings??
    When we are talking the IMPLICATION of the term and it's relevance, yes. Considering the term BETA, by the actual definition of the word, has nothing to do with software. You could say it's called that because it's the second letter of the Greek Alphabet, and usually, BETA software is the second version, the first being ALPHA builds usually tested in house. BETA, or second generation builds are still for TESTING, but usually a more diverse group to try to workout bugs.

What does this have to do with the post? Well, I want to make sure the OP understands what is implied by BETA software. The Urban Dictionary holds the best (And only) meaning of the term "Beta Software" as it applies in REAL LIFE..... That it's software that has been deemed NOT READY yet.

Personally, I think the best fit from the dictionary meaning of the word is the 6th meaning (See below). As it applies to stocks, a BETA stock is one that is 10% more volatile than the market. No, I'm not saying ALL BETA software is. But, the tag BETA is placed on there as a "WARNING use at your own risk!"

Or, if you would like, the way RIM puts it...

AMENDMENTS AND ADDITIONS TO THE BBSLA FOR BETA ZONE
    D. No Warranty and No Liability. You understand and agree that the intent of each Beta Program is to test pre-commercial Beta Products and/or Beta Services which may contain bugs or other errors, and may not yet have the approvals and certifications necessary for commercial deployment. Accordingly, in addition to the restrictions in the BBSLA on using Your BlackBerry Solution for mission critical applications, in no event shall You use the Beta Products or Beta Services in any productive or other environment where You are relying on the performance of the Beta Products.

---------------------------------------------------------------
    beta

 /ˈbeɪtə or, especially Brit., ˈbi-/ Show Spelled[bey-tuh or, especially Brit., bee-]
    –noun
    the second letter of the Greek alphabet (β, B).

2. the consonant sound represented by this letter.

3. ( initial capital letter ) Astronomy . a star that is usually the second brightest of a constellation: The second brightest star in Taurus is Beta Tauri.

4. Chemistry . a. one of the possible positions of an atom or group in a compound.

b. one of two or more isomeric compounds.

5. the second of any series, as in chemistry or physics.

6. Also called beta coefficient, beta line. Stock Exchange . an arbitrary measure of the volatility of a given stock using an index of the volatility of the market as a whole: A beta of 1.1 indicates a stock that is 10 percent more volatile than the market.

7. ( initial capital letter ) Trademark . a brand of tape format for VCR tape, incompatible with other formats. Compare VHS.

8. Chiefly British . a grade showing that a student is in the middle or second of three scholastic sections in a class. Compare alpha ( def. 7 ) , gamma ( def. 9 ) .

Then again, I quoted UD thinking that it's meaning would save me from having to spell it out....
    Last edited by WolfmanRobby; 07-09-10 at 04:07 PM.
    07-09-10 04:00 PM

I think the beta is closed. I logged on via a comp and still nothing. The only programs open are the new I'm clients (aim gtalk), 9700 community and feedback tool

07-09-10 04:19 PM

Major improvements:
    Here's a few more:
    -Bubbles chat theme has new look & colours - very nice look! Especially noticeable in Groups or multi-person chat with new Bubble colours (Stripes theme is unchanged at this time)
    -Menu improvements include simplified path to Backup/Restore
    -My Profile section simplified and more clear with Show Barcode button and PIN displayed at top
    -And the least important: the triangular arrow indicator beside received lines of chat is now a circle... whooooaaa...
    07-09-10 05:13 PM
    Here's a few more:
    -Bubbles chat theme has new look & colours - very nice look! Especially noticeable in Groups or multi-person chat with new Bubble colours (Stripes theme is unchanged at this time)
    -Menu improvements include simplified path to Backup/Restore
    -My Profile section simplified and more clear with Show Barcode button and PIN displayed at top
    -And the least important: the triangular arrow indicator beside received lines of chat is now a circle... whooooaaa...
    Bubble chat No bubbles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    07-09-10 05:20 PM
    Bubble chat No bubbles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I was all about Stripes before!

Now Bubbles just looks so nice & new in comparison, especially in Groups.
    It's a shame the new Bubbles wastes so much space though. Left a couple lengthy comments on BZ about that.
    07-09-10 05:27 PM
    I think the beta is closed. I logged on via a comp and still nothing. The only programs open are the new I'm clients (aim gtalk), 9700 community and feedback tool

Have you signed up and registered yet or are you just viewing the site?
    07-09-10 06:07 PM
    Have you signed up and registered yet or are you just viewing the site?

I am registered.. I have the new I'm client on my phone now.. Just can't find the bbm..

07-09-10 08:53 PM
    I am registered.. I have the new I'm client on my phone now.. Just can't find the bbm..

He's right. I'm on the beta zone, but can't find a link to the BBM Beta.
    07-14-10 05:17 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD