07-14-10 04:17 PM
38 12
tools
    Hi,

So if I contact that has a PIN and that contact sends me an SMS text it shows up as a new convo in the BBM app. Is there a setting that will put these messages back in the SMS app?

Thanks!
    07-07-10 12:03 PM
    I think you have to break the link between the BBM contact and your Address Book Contact.
    07-07-10 12:07 PM
    Meaning - I almost need to do a separate contact with their phone number and bbm info?
    07-07-10 12:35 PM
    exactly right, one contact for number and one contact for bbm info
    07-07-10 12:46 PM
    No need to have 2 contacts.

In BBM, select the Contact (Make sure it's the contact and not a chat), press the BB Menu button and select "remove Contacts Link" - it's way down the list.
    07-07-10 02:21 PM
    When you are in BBM go to options until you find "show texts msgs from contacts linked with BB contacts" and uncheck that box..it may not look exactly like this depending on which version you have..I am using version 5.0.1.17..the box I am talking about is highlighted

07-07-10 06:16 PM
    Meaning - I almost need to do a separate contact with their phone number and bbm info?
    exactly right, one contact for number and one contact for bbm info
    You don't need to have separate contact info for one individual-see above
    07-07-10 06:19 PM
    LuJuca - that must be a feature in the beta, I'm on 5.0.0.57 and its not there.

The only option is to break the link per the instructions I posted.

Good find for when that version goes public though.
    07-07-10 07:10 PM

Are you sure there isn't an option like that but worded differently? I could of swore I was on that version before the beta and was able to keep them separated or maybe I am just thinking of messages being separated and not SMS's.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-10 07:21 PM
    Only available in beta BBM, which is still publically available if you join the BlackBerry Beta Zone and request it.

https://www.blackberry.com/beta/betas/downloads/481

Be sure to save the link, and do not install beta until you've receive the email with the keycode. No guarantee you'll be accepted, and it could take 48 hours to get the code.

Other solution is as already suggested. You don't have to break the link, just make a separate BlackBerry contact in your addy, and have all but their pin # in that. That should break the link.
    07-07-10 10:07 PM

Thanks Robby!

07-07-10 10:14 PM
    Only available in beta BBM, which is still publically available if you join the BlackBerry Beta Zone and request it.

https://www.blackberry.com/beta/betas/downloads/481

Be sure to save the link, and do not install beta until you've receive the email with the keycode. No guarantee you'll be accepted, and it could take 48 hours to get the code.

Other solution is as already suggested. You don't have to break the link, just make a separate BlackBerry contact in your addy, and have all but their pin # in that. That should break the link.

Thanks Wulf!

07-07-10 10:18 PM
    07-07-10 11:01 PM
    Why update to the Beta when just breaking the link works just as well?

I mean, that's like telling someone to buy an 18 wheeler because they didn't know they had more storage room in the trunk of their car!
    07-08-10 06:57 AM
    A. It's an option, not a requirement.

B. It's like telling someone they can have a Ferrari for the same cost as their Pinto, so why not.

WAPers do it With A Passion
    I'm many people's brother, have several BB daughters and sons,
    but I sure as heck ain't your momma!

If everyone spoke Wulfanese, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.
    07-08-10 07:04 AM
    A. It's an option, not a requirement.

B. It's like telling someone they can have a Ferrari for the same cost as their Pinto, so why not.

WAPers do it With A Passion
    I'm many people's brother, have several BB daughters and sons,
    but I sure as heck ain't your momma!

If everyone spoke Wulfanese, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.
    It is a very nice option and works perfect on my device but I will take the Pinto, way better gas mileage!

07-08-10 07:35 AM

I would never say that BETA software is the same "Cost" as Stable releases.

Yes, I run beta's, and even ALPHA test some software on various platforms. But, for someone asking for BASIC HELP with a problem, I would NEVER recommend they move to a BETA version of an app.

Building on your analogy, let me ask you this... What if they can't drive stick shift?

Let's just break down the difference between the options here...

Your option, Upgrade to the BETA
    -Join the beta program,
    -try 20 times like I did yesterday for the beta portal to accept your pin and keep getting 505 Server errors
    -wait for a code (Still waiting on mine) to download and install the program

My option, Break the link
    -Click ONE thing in the menu of the already installed program and the problem is solved.

I'll end with this...
    OVERKILL - Noun -an excess of what is required or suitable, as because of zeal or misjudgment.
    07-08-10 07:47 AM
    That was one of my suggestions, and the other works quite easily. Never said or belittled your solution, but since you feel the need to be a broken blood vessel on my rectum today, I've a word for you.

ignorant
    [-ner-uhnt]

-adjective

1. lacking in knowledge or education
    2. unaware

Sorry you've had such difficulty getting registered on the Beta Zone, but since you haven't a clue about the BBM stability, I'll school you a tad. Been using it since it was first available by invite, and have never had one issue with it. In fact, a few friends who've had problems with the public release I've had get the beta, and solved their problems. Now chill out and play nice.
    07-08-10 08:24 AM
    I never said the BBM was unstable... the term BETA implies that.
    Urban Dictionary: Beta Software
    "Software so poorly written, the creators deny that it is in its final form."

Second, I never insulted YOU, I said your solution was OVERKILL. You however feel the need to attack ME since you can't attack the facts I posted.

We are here to HELP people and provide them with WORKABLE and REASONABLE solutions.

Telling someone to upgrade to a BETA program as an alternative to a one-click solution within the software is NOT REASONABLE and OVERKILL.

Calling me IGNORANT because you can't counter the facts... well, I won't stoop to the personal insults to say what I think that is.

Now, the one that needs to CHILL OUT AND PLAY NICE is the one making PERSONAL INSULTS because I pointed out why his solution was OVERKILL.
    Last edited by WolfmanRobby; 07-08-10 at 09:12 AM.
    07-08-10 09:04 AM
    Seems like you BOTH are taking this WAY further than it needs to go! Both are good solutions. Yes this member may not be comfortable using a beta, as many are not. HOWEVER this is CB, we love to be on the cutting edge and people come here for the best way to do stuff, and that includes beta(s) and hacks. For the record the BBM beta is pretty good, and just about ready!
    07-08-10 09:22 AM
    Seems like you BOTH are taking this WAY further than it needs to go! Both are good solutions. Yes this member may not be comfortable using a beta, as many are not. HOWEVER this is CB, we love to be on the cutting edge and people come here for the best way to do stuff, and that includes beta(s) and hacks. For the record the BBM beta is pretty good, and just about ready!
    I'm not the one making it personal.

I'm all for BETA software, use several. I've heard great things about the BETA BBM and that's why I'm trying to get it.

But, the OP had a question that could be solved with a VERY SIMPLE fix.

We are all geeks here, and while the overkill can be fun, as someone who WORKS in the Tech Support arena as a systems admin, I've learned that the simplest solutions are usually the best.

Remember K.I.S.S.
    Keep It Simple and Stupid

Or, Kids In Satan's Service! LOL! (They Call Me Dr. LOVE!!!! )
    07-08-10 09:31 AM
    I never said the BBM was unstable... the term BETA implies that.
    Urban Dictionary: Beta Software
    "Software so poorly written, the creators deny that it is in its final form."

Second, I never insulted YOU, I said your solution was OVERKILL. You however feel the need to attack ME since you can't attack the facts I posted.

We are here to HELP people and provide them with WORKABLE and REASONABLE solutions.

Telling someone to upgrade to a BETA program as an alternative to a one-click solution within the software is NOT REASONABLE and OVERKILL.

Calling me IGNORANT because you can't counter the facts... well, I won't stoop to the personal insults to say what I think that is.

Now, the one that needs to CHILL OUT AND PLAY NICE is the one making PERSONAL INSULTS because I pointed out why his solution was OVERKILL.
    you are using the UD as a valid source for word meanings??
    Last edited by mjneid; 07-08-10 at 04:05 PM.
    07-08-10 03:49 PM
    Link don't work for me. I signed up for beta zone on my BlackBerry and when I click the link I get "You are not authorized to view this program area"

Does this only work on a computer?

07-09-10 12:33 AM
    Link don't work for me. I signed up for beta zone on my BlackBerry and when I click the link I get "You are not authorized to view this program area"

Does this only work on a computer?

That link takes you here:

Did you take your browser ID off BlackBerry by chance?
    07-09-10 04:46 AM
    Here's a thought...

Maybe the OP will read the thread, and see that RIM has a fix out in a beta that should be official in the near future, and decides to wait for the official fix rather than breaking the contacts link. Personally, I like the option in BBM of being able to call someone just by hitting the green Phone key.

Happy Friday everyone!!!!!
    07-09-10 04:59 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD