08-16-11 11:19 AM
57 123
tools
    Of the 12 contacts I have on my blackberry messenger, there is one contact who I seem to be having an issue with. The problem is that although they appear on my contact list, and I on theirs, each day we have to re-invite each other. We have both requested each other on various days to see if it made a difference, but it does not. The contact is in my address book, and has their pin entered in the contact information. PIN messaging works fine, but there seems to be a issue with that one particular contact remaining a friend past midnight each day.

I have searched this fourm, and the blackberry support documents and didn't find any solutions to this - or a mention for that matter. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know!
    02-14-10 07:31 AM
    A few friends and I have been experiencing the same issue after updating to a new BlackBerry device. We constantly have to reinvite almost everyone in our BBM contact list, and it is very frustrating.

We tried deleting and adding on both sides. Constant battery pulls, restoring old backups, adding them all manually, deleting BBM, everything and NOTHING has worked.

My only guess is it has something to do with the BIS 3.0 update I've been hearing about so much. All that's left to do is wait, since I have posted this issue on several BlackBerry forums and nobody has said a thing...

Good luck with this, if you find a solution please, let us know, as I will too.

Cheers.
    02-14-10 10:36 AM
    I have also tried the following:

-reinstalling the OS on my device
    -reinstalling BBM
    -deleting the contact in my address book, re adding them with thier pin again
    -resending service books
    -countless battery pulls

My counterpart on the other side has reinstalled BBM and much like yourself, It doesn't matter who adds whom, the result is the same. Permission seems to reset itself at midnight.

Not that it helps you out, but I am glad to hear that I am not the only person who has been experiencing this issue.

Thanks for your response!
    02-14-10 02:19 PM
    Hey, there's an update. I noticed how this happens to almost all my contacts, but there are a few who seem to not get affected by whatever it is thats going on so I started to look for things they had in common and found 2:
    -People I added after getting the Storm 2 (This started happening to me when I bought a new phone)
    -Old BBM. None of them have the .57 version (BTW, which version do you have?)

They don't all have the same version, some have .55, some have .33, others even have the old 4.7 version. So I'm guessing there must be an issue with the .57 version... I will be downgrading my bbm to an earlier version, maybe .55

I will let you know if this works (but it will take me all day to know since, like you, it happens at midnight).
    02-15-10 07:10 AM
    My OS is 5.0.351 (the buggy one) and my BBM is .57
    Come to think of it, I don't recall having this problem until I updated to .57

I should downgrade to .55 and see if that makes a difference. Let me know what the results of your test are, I'd love to get this problem solved!
    02-16-10 03:27 PM
    ok, the strangest thing. The one contact that I keep losing seemed to last past midnight for me for the first time last night!

I didn't do anything out of the ordinary for this to happen. I'll wait to see if it happens again tonight or not
    02-16-10 03:30 PM
    if the problem keeps happening, maybe try backing up your contactlist to the server after you have added your buddy. maybe for some reason the server has been pushing an old backup to your phone, and deleting him?

just a shot in the dark, but hopefully its already fixed for you
    02-16-10 04:00 PM
    hey
    ryancoke: I did the downgrade and it seemed to work for 2 days, but then the problem showed up so thats a no go :S
    my friends who seemed to have this problem apparently got it fixed, they dont even know how or why (like you), it just stopped happening. Maybe luck is on your side too :P definately not on mine

teksu: ill try your idea and post here if it worked. Thanks!
    02-17-10 10:06 AM
    Hello guys, I have experienced this for 2 weeks now and it's finally fixed.

Guys try what Teksu said: "try backing up your contactlist to the server after you have added your buddy"..

I backed up my contact list through the remote option (email address)
    Thanks Teksu, good luck all.
    02-18-10 08:29 AM
    Hello guys, I have experienced this for 2 weeks now and it's finally fixed.

Guys try what Teksu said: "try backing up your contactlist to the server after you have added your buddy"..

I backed up my contact list through the remote option (email address)
    Thanks Teksu, good luck all.
    I'm going to give that a shot tonight. I'll ask her to do the same thing, see if some magic happens!
    02-18-10 08:06 PM
    hey guys, I tried what teksu said and it did not work for me.
    Is there a manual way to back up your contact list remotely? Cause when I try it just shows the email addresses Ive got registered...

Im running out of options and everyone is starting to hate me cause I add them everyday lol.'

Ryan: Let us know if it worked for you. If it did, I'm gonna try it one more time.
    02-20-10 03:32 PM
    ive been having this problem for the past week or so as well....i figured it was because of the fact that i added another email address to my phone and there may have been conflicting backups to each email, so i just set the remote backup to one email. i'll let you guys kno if i have to keep re-adding people or not and we'll see if this gives us a little fix
    02-21-10 02:56 PM
    well i tried to remote backup thing (i figured it does a backup everytime the contact list changes) but it still doesnt work. It has been getting worse with time, usually it took a day for contacts to ask for a reinvite, yesterday it asked twice within an hour!

I had my BB setup to backup on one email only and that didnt work, then had it backup on all emails and didnt work either. Running out of options here, I'm about to give up and delete BBM until this problem is solved by RIM...
    02-21-10 03:42 PM
    Ive deleted bb messenger, resinstalled it, deliberately NOT turned on the back up feature, and then manually added every single contact back onto it. And its STILL doing this with just one contact.
    Getting really annoying now.
    02-22-10 01:03 PM
    I've had no success with the backup either. The same one contact that I can't keep for more than 1 day has not benefited from me backing up and restoring my contact list.

Last night in the middle of a conversation (roughly 9pm edt) it prompted me to request authorization. It appears to be getting worse for me too, sadly.

Has anyone come across anything in the techincal notes regarding this issue on the RIM site? I had no luck. Perhaps I wasn't using the correct search keywords though.
    02-23-10 07:03 PM
    I searched too, nothing shows up. I even sent them an email, but I guess they probably get a little too many of those, by the time they read mine the problem will probably be solved (I hope!!).

Though this problems seems to be spreading slowly, not many have had this problem. The few people I know who had it now don't. I think its solved for me, it's been 2 days since one of the contacts I added hasn't asked me to reinvite him. But anyways, lets just hope it gets solved soon...

If anyone has any other ideas, let us know please!

Thanks everyone who has replied and tried to help us out.
    02-24-10 08:57 AM
    I'm in the same boat with you guys. I have a 9550 with Verizon, and it constantly deletes my wife who has a 9530.
    02-26-10 12:42 PM
    I'd like to find an answer for this bc this is happening to one of my contacts as well and its very frustrating, she disappears from my list either every day or every other day and I have to re-add her, she will sms text me and ask me why I am not responding on bbm but she will no longer be on my contact list even though I am still on hers, I've tried everything I could think of, backup/restore locally & remotely, deleting all backup files on both phones and creating a new backup while we r still contacts, even tried deleting and reinstalling her bbm & adding everyone manually nothing works. Please help
    02-27-10 09:51 AM
    okay so i figured it may be a glitch with the leaked 5.0 OS's that ive been running so i went back to 4.7.1 on my tour yesterday, and it STILL deleted the same 3 people it's been taking off @ exactly midnight EST. i'm at wit's end at this point, its literally the one and ONLY thing wrong with my phone and i'm dying to know what the problem is. has anyone come up with a fix or solution or even an IDEA of what can be done yet?
    02-28-10 04:27 PM
    Anyone find a fix to this yet? Its really getting on my nerves.
    03-02-10 11:50 AM
    im still working on it....im realizing that its mostly happening to the other people that have 5.0.0.57, i just havent gotten to the root of exactly what the problem is
    03-03-10 09:45 AM
    I had this exact same issue (it was covered on a podcast)
    delete the person.
    have them delete you.
    re-invite via pin # and NOT email.....
    since then no issues for me, but both of you have to do it.

using 5.0.57 as well.
    03-03-10 10:05 AM
    great thanks...i'm trying this now, my contacts usually get deleted @ midnight EST for some reason, i'll post up later tonight if it works.

TY again
    03-03-10 10:37 AM
    been having the same issue since I upgraded my OS to 5.0.0.484 on my tour... i have about 10 of my contacts it keeps removing... They have to re-invite me everyday and vice versa... Please let me know if it works... Thanks
    03-03-10 09:12 PM
    I had this exact same issue (it was covered on a podcast)
    delete the person.
    have them delete you.
    re-invite via pin # and NOT email.....
    since then no issues for me, but both of you have to do it.

using 5.0.57 as well.
    which podcast was this in? unfortunately this didnt work for me and im @ wits end at this point
    03-04-10 09:28 AM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD