Hi!

Question is simple.

Is BBM chat history stored in ipd files? I know you must have selected to backup media card if you configured bbm to save chat history on media card. But if so, does the DM standard backup procedure save bbm chat history?

Thx for your responses...
    04-01-12 12:39 PM
    Your backup will restore active chats.
    04-01-12 04:32 PM
    Hi!

Question is simple.

Is BBM chat history stored in ipd files? I know you must have selected to backup media card if you configured bbm to save chat history on media card. But if so, does the DM standard backup procedure save bbm chat history?

Thx for your responses...
    The standard backup does NOT save chats that are on your card in history. It will only back up the OPEN chats or active chats as Tequila Addict above said. And we all know that OPEN chats are only so long...so you would lose anything NOT saved on your card.
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 04-01-12 at 05:16 PM.
    04-01-12 05:13 PM
    Hi!

Thx for your fast response.

I know it should, but it doesn't.

The problem may be I'm trying to restore a 2009 chat backed up with OS4.5 or so...

Your backup will restore active chats.
    04-01-12 06:36 PM
    Hi!

Thx for your fast response.

I know it should, but it doesn't.

The problem may be I'm trying to restore a 2009 chat backed up with OS4.5 or so...
    So the 2009 chat is backed up on your storage card? You cannot reload it back into bbm, if that's what you're asking. There's no way to do that. You CAN however read the file with excel, I believe.
    04-01-12 06:45 PM
    The chat was active (I hope) when I did the backup in 2009.

Actually it's not even recovering the active chats I have now!

So the 2009 chat is backed up on your storage card? You cannot reload it back into bbm, if that's what you're asking. There's no way to do that. You CAN however read the file with excel, I believe.
    04-02-12 01:59 AM
    I opened my last 2 ipd backup files using the MagicBerry software. Only the text messages are in those backups.
    04-02-12 03:19 AM
    That's true (great software btw). Even then, something is missing because MagicBerry does not recognize emails, and backups do save them. So something similar might be happening with active chats.

I opened my last 2 ipd backup files using the MagicBerry software. Only the text messages are in those backups.
    04-02-12 03:41 AM
    Horace,
    let's get you straightened around here!
    If you have an .ipd from 2009, you more than likely, have a different OS now. Therefore, when you do a selective restore of your bbm, you are just going to get CONTACTS restored from then.

THERE IS NO WAY TO RELOAD AN OLD BBM CHAT.
    Sorry!!!!

In fact, the only way a current ACTIVE chat gets reloaded is if you upgrade your OS using Apploader. It backs up everything, wipes your phone, installs the new OS and reloads everything to the state it was before the upgrade.

Otherwise, once a chat is gone from your bbm, you cannot load it back in.
    Try emailing current chats to yourself that you want to keep. That also works.
    04-02-12 08:13 AM
    Thx very much for your help jaydee. Unfortunately it's always too late to "restore" something you didn't know you wanted to keep. :-)

BTW there is another simpler way to restore active chats. Nowadays when you restore a backup (.bbb) there is a BBMConversations record. So, in fact, active chats get restored by default.

Thx four your help.

Horace,
    let's get you straightened around here!
    If you have an .ipd from 2009, you more than likely, have a different OS now. Therefore, when you do a selective restore of your bbm, you are just going to get CONTACTS restored from then.

THERE IS NO WAY TO RELOAD AN OLD BBM CHAT.
    Sorry!!!!

In fact, the only way a current ACTIVE chat gets reloaded is if you upgrade your OS using Apploader. It backs up everything, wipes your phone, installs the new OS and reloads everything to the state it was before the upgrade.

Otherwise, once a chat is gone from your bbm, you cannot load it back in.
    Try emailing current chats to yourself that you want to keep. That also works.
    04-02-12 08:19 AM
    Thx very much for your help jaydee. Unfortunately it's always too late to "restore" something you didn't know you wanted to keep. :-)

BTW there is another simpler way to restore active chats. Nowadays when you restore a backup (.bbb) there is a BBMConversations record. So, in fact, active chats get restored by default.

Thx four your help.
    Well, that's excellent news about the bbb file and active chats!
    Thanks for the info. I haven't done any backup with my OS7 device yet, so I guess it's time I do. I am so used to reloading everything that I forget to do backups and the fact that it might save me some time.
    Thanks!
    04-02-12 08:22 AM
    Yes. It really works for BBB files, works really easy using BlackBerry Backup Extractor. Here is a short guide how to read bbb files.
    04-02-12 11:56 AM
    Yes. It really works for BBB files, works really easy using BlackBerry Backup Extractor. Here is a short guide how to read bbb files.
    HAHA. No wonder I don't have bbb files. I don't use the updated DM.
    Still using the older one...
    04-02-12 12:04 PM

Thx four your help.
    Actually, you will restore BBM active chats, texts and emails from your .ipd backup file also. Strange that you can't read them on the PC but they do restore to the phone.
    04-03-12 12:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD