Due to ease of use and reliability i've been using the BBM Chat facility as a note-taking device. On my walk to/from work and other places i've sent important information to my wife, on an almost daily basis. On two previous occasions the entirety of the chat has disappeared, coinciding with my wife deciding to delete it from her phone without telling me.

According to her this is mere coincidence, and she has not caused it to be deleted from my phone. Suggesting that my phone has a date based 'deletion' setting (that coincides with the random date she deleted things her end) or that my soon to be 3 year old daughter may have picked up the phone where i'd left the chat open, and somehow navigated through the complex menu's (complex to her, not me) and selected to delete it, and that i've then found it back on the start screen.

Obviously she's chatting nonsense and attempting to pass the buck... and i've just learned of some form of "save" setting that isn't automatically on the phone... but for the past 2 months i've left very important information in that chat.... and despite promises, assurances, and the arguments to prove this was the case the last couple of times. Yesterday she deleted the whole conversation for no reason, without telling me, and coincidentally it's gone from my phone too......

Apologies for the waffle, but please - how do I get this information back? Is there a way to restore it? Is there a way to ask my provider (virgin media) for a textual record of all of the BBM's that have been exchanged between two pins... surely they're required legally to keep copies for a number of months/years in case of harassment or other legal issues. There's some really important information, saved in the place I thought it was safest... the location that my wife had previously deleted twice, but finally admitted what had happened.... and promised to never repeat what she had done... 2 months later BAM she's done it again...

Can anyone help in any way? Desperately need that info back!
    Thanks
    04-25-11 01:39 PM
    I've been on the phone to Virgin, apparently the BBM chat is stored on a blackberry portal, and when one party deletes it, it is deleted on the system.... i'm guessing that it takes a while to sync this to the other person chatting, and that at some point hours later it all gets wiped. DAMNIT.... does anyone know if there's a residual copy on the phone somewhere that I can pull of it? Please?
    04-25-11 03:10 PM
    Serious Disaster - anyone ever had any success getting residuals back or retrieving from the company. I'd throw them some cash for a record... but they dont keep a record? surely they do?
    04-25-11 04:05 PM
    You can have your BBM chats saved on your storage card. It's a setting in your BBM options. This is the only way I know of to keep the info, unless you email the chats periodically to yourself. Chose menu options/email chats.

As for the company finding the lost convos, I'm sorry I can't help you with that as I have never researched that. Sorry.

But I save certain chats myself by emailing them to myself. Then I can go back and follow a link I was sent or pick out a piece of impt info without having to copy anything down.

Also, someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the whole idea of using BBM is the fact that the convos go through RIM's servers and ARE SECURE. Would there be ANY way of someone finding the record of your bbm chat? I thought that was impossible unless you are on BES.
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 04-25-11 at 06:38 PM.
    04-25-11 06:36 PM
    I've never seen a conversation when closed on one phone, disappear from another. I thought in order to manage that you had to delete the contact?

In fact I'm sure I've had short conversations open for near enough a month with the other person having closed theirs and lost nothing.

I do not have chat history saving on, and I never have.
    04-25-11 07:58 PM
    Another question. I'm leaving my company and have to turn in the BB. I've taken off everything else but I can't delete the darn messenger chats. How do I do it?
    04-26-11 03:25 PM
    Sorry but could someone properly clear up the "delete from one device, it is deleted from the other" theory? I've tested it since and it just doesn't happen.
    05-01-11 09:31 PM
    Conclusion = wife can be a malicious *****...

Same night the messages disappeared, and it being the 3rd time she told me that her end didn't delete my end.... she was p*ssed off at something.

I recently had an argument with her, over the fact i'd read her yahoo account (left open) and forwarded messages from her account to my hotmail account. The irony being (which she didn't get... I just shouldn't have done it) was that the messages i'd forwarded on, were messages she'd forwarded from my BB Messenger whilst I was asleep... the same night that my chat messages with her, which had important info in 'disappeared'.... I guess you can tell how they ended up deleted now right?

It's blatantly obvious that she deleted them... sorry for wasting your time here.
    10-13-11 04:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD