Hey guys this might sound like a dumb question but I really need to know ... I do not have a data plan but I saw the bbm symbol on my phone so I clicked on it and it asked me for a display name so I wrote one ... I did not add anyones pins nor start any conversations ... So will I be charged for simply turning it on? My carrier is sprint.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-16-10 02:09 AM
    Perrty sure bbm is through rim and free and with BB with or with out data plans if every need help my pin:30911ecb and welcome too crackberry

06-16-10 07:38 AM
    Lets move this to the Sprint Forum, and hopefully a rep will see it and can provide the answer.
    06-16-10 08:25 AM
    what is this???

06-16-10 08:34 AM
    Are you sure kansasman? Because I've read everywhere that bbm is used through data and without the plan it is useless

06-16-10 09:05 AM
    BBM (BlackBerry Messenger) requires the full Blackberry provesioning service meaning yes it's uses data and it won't work unless you have a data plan.

It's not like text messaging as it doesn't require a txt plan on your device and it's stricly for blackberry to blackberry messaging. Like yahoo chat but just for BlackBerrys.

Chances are you have BB data service (BIS) (if your antenna indicator show upper case "1XEV"
    06-16-10 09:56 AM
    The BBM wont work without BIS/BES service. You probably have the BBM icon on your phone from the prior person using the phone if its used. You can access the BBM program and put whatever you want but it wont connect to RIM service without BIS. And as for getting charged for using it, you wont because its not access BIS.
    06-16-10 11:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD