Device - 9930
    Provider - Verizon Wireless
    OS - 7.1.0.755

Activated this used phone yesterday via *228 OTA like I always do. Everything works, email, data, calls, browser, SMS/MMS, App World, etc. BBM does not work. It asks me if I want to restore using the same email associated with App World. I have two choices, Yes or cancel. Cancel closes BBM down, so I am left with Yes. Select Yes, and it goes through the motions of restoring my BBM. After a few minutes, I get this screen:

Cannot Set Up BBM
    A temporary BBM server error has occurred.
    Retry

Here is what I have done:

Battery pull
    Uninstalled BBM and rebooted after each uninstall x 2, fresh install from App World of BBM x 2.
    Sent HRT to the phone

What is left:

Wipe the device
    OS up/downgrade

Seller sent me a BBM invite, and I got it. The BBM symbol shows in the notifications, but there is no way for me to acknowledge it now. I feel like I am fairly knowledgable when it comes to BB/BBM, but this has me absolutely stumped. A Google search has not really helped, because I am not sure what is causing this to be an issue, so I am not sure what to search.

Help?
    04-20-13 01:49 PM
    See if this helps you.
    04-20-13 02:35 PM
    With my growing frustrations, I did a full wipe of the device. Before loading my backup, I logged into BlackBerry ID, and attempted to get BBM up and running. Same issue. I am blown away. If I make a new BB ID, I would lose all purchases in App World under my old ID if I understand correctly. Why is this so difficult?
    04-20-13 06:01 PM
    I have reverted back to my 9650, and BBM works. I am really at a total loss here. Same BB ID, same everything, just a different device.
    04-20-13 07:09 PM
    Update: still doesn't work.

I have now:

Wiped the phone.
    Reloaded the OS
    Spoken to Verizon Customer Service
    Deleted and reinstalled BBM several times
    Deleted and reinstalled App World several times
    Switched to an older BB ID

Nothing that I do seems to fix this situation. I can send and receive PIN messages. I get a notification if someone were to BBM me, but I have no way of opening BBM to access the message, or add friends. The rest of the phone works as it should. Calls, SMS/MMS, email, browsing, apps, etc. It's just BBM that is stuck.

I am left with no option other than to return the phone to the gracious seller who has been absolutely amazing in working with me.
    04-23-13 02:09 AM