07-17-10 01:32 PM
33 12
tools
    I see threads on joining groups and using your pin to send messages,can someone explain that a little,like how does it work, and what do you have to install?
    07-04-10 08:03 AM
    Lecture 8: How To Use BlackBerry Messenger

Groups are just that, a group of people that someone put together and invites some people into... this group can stay together as long as the group want to stay a group... a group can be as little as 2 people.

BBM is part of the standard Blackberry OS, therefore it is loaded on every Blackberry.
    07-04-10 08:54 AM
    fatboy thanks for the response, I was wondering how they message one another,does everyone see all the members ,or is it like a forum were you can see eveyone in the group that day?? Hope you can understand what im asking
    07-04-10 09:07 AM
    It's all one big convo, and you can share pictures, calendar and lists. Works really nicely, especially on the beta BBM.

WAPers do it With A Passion
    I'm many people's brother, have several BB daughters and sons,
    but I sure as heck ain't your momma!

If everyone spoke Wulfanese, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.
    07-04-10 09:22 AM
    Everyone in a group sees all responses from everybody... the chat (as they call it) is a threaded open ended conversation... everybody gets a notification of a new post, or new activity... anyone in the group can see the status of any members, any chats, pictures, lists, or even Calendar events someone wants to post for the group.
    07-04-10 09:25 AM
    I read the lesson and with the help , im starting to get it thanks. Does it slow the phone down like some apps.do?
    07-04-10 09:27 AM
    And do we use the same name we use here on the forum?
    07-04-10 09:29 AM
    It's part of the OS... some complain about it, but I have not seen any slow down at all.
    07-04-10 09:29 AM
    I see the icon in the menu but i never accepted the terms of service yet. Thanks for the help?
    Last edited by life1; 07-04-10 at 09:40 AM.
    07-04-10 09:34 AM
    Works flawlessly on my phone.

I believe it would slow your phone down if you add a ton of contacts, that and I believe memory...also anytime you look at a pic, it will either send it to your internal memory or memory card, so go under chat room options to click on "no" for saving pics, unless you want them all saved.

Have fun, it is addicting! (IMO)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-10 11:16 AM
    Thanks Boldtothemax,
    07-04-10 11:51 AM
    The groups will definitely have an effect on your phone. The more active a group you join, the harder it will be on your battery. Also, if you use a holster, the group if active at the time will pop open when the device comes out of sleep mode, and will hesitate as the chat loads. You'll want to register a blackberry email for Remote Backup (it's the only email that never goes in a spam folder), and delete BBM before any OS upgrade. Only way I'm assured the groups will return.

Have fun with it. One of the best parts of being a BlackBerry user without doubt.
    07-04-10 12:01 PM
    BigBadWulf
    Thats what i read somwere about the battery not holding a charge long ,i wasnt sure I was thinking it slowed the Berry down thanks, since you mentioned the battery i rememeber now.
    I do use the holster that came with the phone,I dont understand what your saying about that it will pop open when it comes out of sleep mode, if the groups active. And a BlackBerry email,I only have 1 email and thats outlook express,I have a Gmail acount that i never use.What do you mean about a backup?? Sorry i dont understand.
    07-04-10 04:23 PM
    I do understand that before i install BBM I should have the lastest OS.
    Not sure why .
    07-04-10 04:29 PM
    As the group chats, it updates on your phone. The more active they are, the more a drain it will be. More groups, even bigger effect.
    Just like an email, SMS or BBM, if the group is chatting when you pull the Onyx out of the holster, the chat will open.
    Outlook isn't an email address, it's an email client. You can use your email set up wizard on the phone, and add an email address from RIM and your carrier. Mine is ______@att.blackberry.net. That email goes directly to your device, and BBM offers what's called Remote Backup so you can't loose your contacts no matter what. There's always been issues with BBM groups and upgrading. My solution, remove BBM before the upgrade, and install it again afterwords, then use the email activated backup to restore the contacts and groups.
    Once you go through options, and use BBM a little, it will start to make sense.

WAPers do it With A Passion
    I'm many people's brother, have several BB daughters and sons,
    but I sure as heck ain't your momma!

If everyone spoke Wulfanese, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.
    07-04-10 04:35 PM
    I do understand that before i install BBM I should have the lastest OS.
    Not sure why .
    Not true. Any OS for the Onyx will work fine.
    07-04-10 04:36 PM
    I re titled and moved the thread I moved it to BlackBerry Native Apps, which is what BBM is and I re titled it so it can be more helpful to the next person asking the same type question.

A GREAT place to get started with BBM groups is our Social Forums, in particular, the PIN & Barcode Sharing here, and then it's sub forum, BBM 5 Groups & Barcode Sharing here.
    07-04-10 04:41 PM
    Thanks for explaining more .Onyx,i like that,
    I think im getting a handle on it,
    first i should set up another email address from Rim ,I will do that with the setup wizard, i will find that in the setup folder,and then in, manage internet email.
    Second make sure i have the latest OS and then install BBW , if i hold down the menu key i will find BBW ,I click on that and except the terms service, and then i quess its will ask for the email i want to use.
    07-04-10 05:21 PM
    Ummmmmm, close. I'm BBW, you want BBM. As you said, it's already installed on your Onyx, so there's no need to upgrade right now, unless you were planning it anyway. You'll only need to add it afterwards if you upgrade, and you belong to a group. Still not necessary, but I've had groups fail to load on an upgrade several times.
    07-04-10 05:28 PM
    Lol BBW, must be old age,
    Yes BBM is there but i think i have to accept the terms of service before it works.This is overloading what little bit of brain cells i have left, Thanks for all the help.Im going to give it a rest for now and do some more reading on it,Thanks for the links pkcable and thanks again for all your time and help BBW.
    07-04-10 05:44 PM
    No problem life1. Just accept the agreement, and as odd as it sounds, you can add yourself as a contact, to play with it a bit and see what it's like.

Posted from my berSupercharged Onyx at Idon'tneednostinkin'mobileview.crackberry.com
    07-04-10 07:01 PM
    Ok Im back at it, i installed The email account ,before i install BBM is it possible to get a virus on a BlackBerry, i never gave that a thought before,but im quessing its possible since we can open emails and share pictures and things with BBM?
    07-05-10 04:17 PM
    No one is on record receiving a virus as of yet. There have been a few instances where something sent has made another device freeze, but the problem pic or page once deleted, along with a reboot and all was well. Hasn't happened in any group I've been in for a very long time.
    07-05-10 07:04 PM
    Hey BBW good to hear from you again,hope all is well,one more question or two can we send a pin message without installing BBM if both pins are known?
    07-05-10 07:25 PM
    Had a great day, that alas is ending.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't pin without BBM.
    07-05-10 07:50 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD