09-25-11 03:46 PM
30 12
tools
    Can I message people overseas without any special international text plan? Is it cost extra?

I am on Sprint
    08-01-09 10:45 AM
    BlackBerry Messenger is global in reach and part of your BIS service package.

The only time you will be charged extra, is when you use it in a different country where you are roaming.
    08-01-09 10:55 AM
    Reed McLay is right, it will not cost you extra
    08-01-09 11:33 AM
    I do it everyday to France & UK and I never got charged for anything.
    08-01-09 12:30 PM
    yeah you most definitely can
    08-01-09 01:00 PM
    Can I message people overseas without any special international text plan? Is it cost extra?

I am on Sprint
    Yeah of course! No extra cost.
    08-01-09 01:06 PM
    yea my buddy is on vacation in Europe. i was BBMing him the other day. its actually kinda cool, since the new BBM5 shows the current time zone, his now shows its proper time zone overseas as well.
    08-01-09 07:40 PM
    Not to jack this post but I have a similar issue as well... my friend is going to South Africa and is taking her 8830, she's already purchased her international sim, and I we're wondering whether or not she'll be charged anything extra once she leaves the states and continues to use BBM. Will this charge to the BIS/BES package as well? the international sim? I've tried searching for more information but I'm coming up with blanks... any help will be appreciated!
    08-01-09 09:15 PM
    Can Someone Give Me A Link To Reinstall The Complete Bbmgr Application I Have Tried Everything To Reinstall Please Help My Pin Is 207f0a83

Mela
    08-01-09 10:07 PM
    So you would not get charged if you are in your home country for BBM. What about the other person you are messaging if there are on vaca overseas?
    08-01-09 10:13 PM
    do it everyday
    08-01-09 10:46 PM
    do it everyday its part of the bb
    08-01-09 10:48 PM
    thats why BBs are awesome
    08-01-09 11:34 PM
    MSN/Yahoo also can do internationa... if you have unlimited data, i still dont understand what's the difference between BBM vs normal MSN/Yahoo.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-09 12:02 AM
    My girlfriend is in the states but she's refusing to use BBM as apparently her carrier told her it costs her around 8 per minute, which is kinda odd as I never thought of BBM as a per minute thing.
    08-02-09 01:48 AM
    Orange in the UK once told me that using bbm abroad was free.
    and I've been using it on holiday etc and I read this and now I'm like oh **** :P
    08-02-09 05:47 AM
    My girlfriend is in the states but she's refusing to use BBM as apparently her carrier told her it costs her around 8 per minute, which is kinda odd as I never thought of BBM as a per minute thing.
    It is per megabyte of data not per minute.
    08-02-09 05:51 AM
    It is per megabyte of data not per minute.
    Oh phew lol :P
    08-02-09 05:54 AM
    Oh phew lol :P
    LOL but it all depends where you are. The 8 rate is for 'worldwide' The rate for the EU should be cheaper especially after the new roaming rates within the EU came into effect on 1 July 2009.

The EU is divided into Eastern/Western Europe so Eastern EU (Ithink) has the same rate as 'worldwide'.
    08-02-09 06:05 AM
    LOL but it all depends where you are. The 8 rate is for 'worldwide' The rate for the EU should be cheaper especially after the new roaming rates within the EU came into effect on 1 July 2009.

The EU is divided into Eastern/Western Europe so Eastern EU (Ithink) has the same rate as 'worldwide'.
    Ah well, I am somewhere in the 'worldwide' category, not in the EU at the moment but I've stopped using BBM now :P
    08-02-09 06:09 AM
    For anyone using BBM5 you can see how much data BBM is using.

Go to options from BBM, hit menu key and select 'about blackberry messenger' and you can see the amount of data sent and received, it can also be reset so you can set it on first day of your holiday and keep tabs on it.

A very handy feature!
    08-02-09 06:11 AM
    @patrickberry: BBM works off blackberry internet while the other messengers work straight off gprs/3G from your provider. There are different charges for internet use but if you're in your home country this won't matter if you're on an unlimited plan. It will make a difference when roaming though because there are different rates for BIS and gprs/3G roaming, the former usually being cheaper. And yes, you will get charged for using BBM overseas while roaming but it's cheaper than sending emails. Your data connection is charged even if your BBM usage isn't.

@hbkidf: BBM gets charged roaming. I didn't think so as well until I got hit with a $300 bill (I didn't consider that when connected, your GPRS remains connected and you are thus charged). BBM is free to use, but the roaming data connection charges are not. I suppose it depends on your service provider. I know, for example, most Asian providers charge nothing or very little for BBM roaming within the region, so it could be the same for Europe and North America (regional free roaming for BBM inclusive of the gprs/3G connection). As for your girlfriend, tell her to find a wifi spot and she can chat with you over BBM cost free. BBM will connect to the blackberry network over wifi.
    Last edited by foundinSEA; 08-02-09 at 12:41 PM.
    08-02-09 12:36 PM
    im in the uk and ive used bberry messnger to my boyfriend in spain and it didnt charge me anything at all
    08-02-09 02:06 PM
    Okay DONT use BBM abroad because I just checked my bill and my total data usage for these 2 weeks was 103.

Ouch.
    08-02-09 02:09 PM
    im in the uk and ive used bberry messnger to my boyfriend in spain and it didnt charge me anything at all
    You are bbm'ing your boyfriend from HOME so you will not be charged. If you were in Spain and messagaing from Spain to the UK you would be charged roaming rates because you are abroad and NOT at home.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by Hazysky; 08-06-09 at 02:43 PM.
    08-06-09 02:31 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD