I know that on my Bold 9650 I could scan any barcode through bbm (scan a group barcode) and it would send me to the website. With my 9930, when I try scanning a barcode that isn't associated with bbm I get the confirmation sound, but nothing happens. I don't go directly to a website or app and I don't even get a pop-up asking if I want to.

Anyone have a good app to scan barcodes and qr codes? Or should bbm scan work and I'm just doing something wrong?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-11 04:11 PM
    +1 I get the same thing :?
    08-19-11 04:13 PM
    There are free barcode scanners on app world.
    08-19-11 04:18 PM
    Sorry...but for barcode you inted this...

pinkvikchick likes this.
    08-19-11 04:23 PM
    scan a barcode with you trough your app world.
    App world-->Hit BB button-->Scan a Barcode. Hope it helps i do on my torch and it works good
    08-19-11 04:26 PM
    ^thats not working...

And I was trying to scan a qr code and it didn't work. I got the confirmation sound but nothing after.

Ill just check out the ones on app world.

08-19-11 04:36 PM
    I use the ScanLife app.

Used it on my 9700 and transferred it over to my 9900 and it works even better with the 9900's always focused camera

Its Free too

OTA install here: http://getscanlife.com

Edit: hmm it say not available for my device when I do the OTA install, but I have the 9700 app transferred over from my old BB and it still works perfectly and even recognizes the touch screen when the 9700 wasn't touch... Try going to that URL from your computer and manually download and install one of the JAD files. It should work
    Last edited by Big_Ern; 08-19-11 at 04:54 PM.
    08-19-11 04:49 PM
    Ya. I had scan life on my 9650 and loved it. But its unavailable for the 9930.

Went ahead and bought the 99 cent qr scanning app that had the best ratings. Seems to work perfectly and it uses the video camera to scan (not just take a picture, since that could be tricky with the lack of auto focus on the 99XX)

Last edited by SaMaster14; 08-19-11 at 05:28 PM.
    08-19-11 05:17 PM
    I haven't found a bar code reader yet that works on my 9930.
    08-19-11 09:04 PM
    Ya. I had scan life on my 9650 and loved it. But its unavailable for the 9930.

Went ahead and bought the 99 cent qr scanning app that had the best ratings. Seems to work perfectly and it uses the video camera to scan (not just take a picture, since that could be tricky with the lack of auto focus on the 99XX)

It says its unavailable, but it infact works 100%. You just need to bypass BB appworld when you install it.

I use BB Desktop manager device transfer wizard to swap from my os6 9700 with ScanLife installed to my 9900 and it transfered ScanLife onto my new Bold and it works perfectly. If I go into appworld it says my device doesn't support it indicating it shouldn't work, but it does infact work. Zero issues.

Try manually installing the one of the JAD files listed on ScanLife and I bet you'll get it to work. Just ignore any warning messages saying it won't work. Mine has the 9700 scanlife installed, not the touch screen version on the website and it works - it even responds just fine to the touchscreen inputs for clicking buttons etc
    08-19-11 11:07 PM
    I couldn't get it to read the QR code on my playbook when I was setting up bridge. Had to do manual

08-20-11 09:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD