Hey guys,

I don't have any idea if this is a 9700 issue, or a BBM issue, so if this is in wrong place my apologies.

Anyway when I go to scan a barcode, if it does not pick up the barcode immediately sometimes the camera flash gets stuck blinking and locks the phone up. Seems that sometimes it has difficulty in reading barcodes. In well lighted areas or dim lit place. But I was just curious if anyone elses BBM freezes up and camera flash gets stuck on when they try to read a code if it does not pick it up quicky?

Thanks,

Blaine
    12-31-09 07:05 PM
    mine doesnt freeze up
    12-31-09 07:08 PM
    have no trouble with mine
    12-31-09 07:12 PM
    Try downloading one of the freeware QR barcode readers, see if that works properly. It will at least eliminate the possibility of bugs in BBM
    12-31-09 07:43 PM
    Try downloading one of the freeware QR barcode readers, see if that works properly. It will at least eliminate the possibility of bugs in BBM
    Any one you would suggest in particular? Yeah to figure out something was bugged I was using a site to create QR barcodes and printing several on a page to link my berry to different things. Some of them it could scan better than others, and others it just flat refuses to scan.

Thanks,

Blaine
    12-31-09 07:46 PM
    I played with Neoreader and another but I forget the name. Both were freeware. A Google search on "qr scanner blackberry" should produce something that works for you.

Be aware I have seen several reports that QR codes saved as .png are more likely to have problems than .jpg versions.
    01-01-10 10:09 AM
    I actually have a similar problem. My blackberry for some reason takes a very very long time to scan the barcode, and the flash just stays on, with the camera focusing and focusing out. I hope we're not the only two out there with this problem!
    01-01-10 12:30 PM
    OK - forgive me for being an id1ot, but what is the purpose of scanning barcodes and where do you get them?
    01-01-10 12:39 PM
    Juist a thought... Is reflection from the flash interfering with reading codes on screen? Turn the flash off and see if that helps.
    01-01-10 12:45 PM
    OK - forgive me for being an id1ot, but what is the purpose of scanning barcodes and where do you get them?
    Within BBM they are for those too lazy to enter and request a PIN.

More widely, they are simply an open standard 2D barcode which can be scanned by many mobile devices. My Google search for "QR barcode" produces this description as the first hit.

Oh, and learn how to type "idiot" without getting filtered
    01-01-10 12:53 PM
    it is an easier way to add a contact to bbm
    and you can see your bar code if you go to bbm and go to your profile and scroll down and hit display my barcode
    01-01-10 12:54 PM
    Well, you live and you learn! Thanks, much!!!

now I don't feel so 1d1ot1c!!!!!
    01-01-10 04:13 PM
    Mine as well guys, I encountered with that problem when I upgraded to .423. Then I deleted BBM because I only installed it to check how user friendly it's qr reader.

BTW, you may use barcode scanner for all kinds of qr codes including internet links,telephone numbers. It is useful and AFAIK in Japan every 4 of 5 people are using that technology. If you google it you may come up with different usage options.

My favorite BB barcode reader application is edocrab.

I actually have a similar problem. My blackberry for some reason takes a very very long time to scan the barcode, and the flash just stays on, with the camera focusing and focusing out. I hope we're not the only two out there with this problem!
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-10 07:32 PM
    Yep, that is exactly what mine does. I had been printing codes out and scanning from paper..some work, some dont. Reason I figured this out is I was messing with this QR code generator. I'll have to try an download one sometime. I put a bunch of self generated QR's on a piece of paper and was scanning them. When it works its neat as heck!

Thanks for the help guys, I will probably just live with the issue though because id never found it if I wasn't playing around. I just hope RIM is aware of the issue however!

Thanks,

Blaine
    01-02-10 12:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD