Anyone else having this issue?? I have the 9700. The problem started with new friends avatars not showing up, so I did a battery pull, restored my device, and even reinstalled bbm. So after all of that now none of my contacts have avatars. Any suggestions?
    07-28-10 11:41 PM
    how many contacts do you have?
    07-29-10 12:43 AM
    I am also having this issue. People's photos are not updating (once they change their picture, the old one remains no matter what) correctly for many users for some reason.
    07-29-10 01:06 AM
    @dictoresno I have 26 contacts. The only thing updating is status messages, no pics though.
    07-29-10 02:19 AM
    well its a widely discussed issue. you will probable find alot of threads in the Native Apps forum asking the same thing. it just happens to be one of the quirks of BBM. try joining Beta Zone and download the newest BBM beta.
    07-29-10 02:22 AM
    Thanks for the suggestion
    07-29-10 03:03 AM
    it just happens to be one of the quirks of BBM. try joining Beta Zone and download the newest BBM beta.
    Unfortunately, I'm using the latest BETA build of BBM and I'm still seeing the issue. Go download the BETA anyways... Its worth it!
    07-29-10 12:03 PM
    It's a BlackBerry Messenger issue. I'm hoping it'll be fixed soon. I'm having the issue on the both the Beta and Non-Beta version. I even wiped my device and reinstalled the OS, thinking that was the issue. Avatars don't update and remote backup and restore is not working for me. If I need to do a backup I have to backup to my SDcard for now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-10 06:30 PM
    Maybe they will release a new version of blackberry messenger pretty soon? I just downloaded the Beta for Blackberry Application World, and I noticed the beta for bbm is closed. I tried what was suggested on another forum HERE but it didn't work. I only have 4 contacts, and myself as a contact as well. I changed my picture and nothing happened as it only shows the picture that I put about 1 1/2 weeks ago.

Update: 1
    Well, well, it does actually work. I pulled my battery 2 times, and changed my picture and guess what? I am good to go now!

Update: 2
    Well it was working last night but this morning it's back to not updating. I already changed my pic twice, and no changes.
    Last edited by arsenalsocal; 08-01-10 at 12:43 PM.
    08-01-10 02:05 AM
    I am using the beta 5.0.1.32 on my 8330m 4.5os and my profile pics aren't updating also my contacts profile pics and status.. I hope RIM fixes the issue soon... I have over 20 contacts and it sucks that its not working properly!

08-03-10 08:52 AM
    I am using the beta 5.0.1.32 on my 8330m 4.5os and my profile pics aren't updating also my contacts profile pics and status.. I hope RIM fixes the issue soon... I have over 20 contacts and it sucks that its not working properly!

Isn't working for me either. I've tried everything. It's awful.
    08-03-10 11:37 AM
    I think I've found a fix. I'll post with the results soon.

08-03-10 11:40 AM
    I think I've found a fix. I'll post with the results soon.
    Good grief, I'll kiss you!
    08-03-10 11:43 AM
    @dictoresno I have 26 contacts. The only thing updating is status messages, no pics though.
    I went to T-Mobile yesterday and they said something about it being our service area. They never really seem to know anything.
    08-03-10 12:06 PM
    I finally got BBM to update the Avatars for my contacts.

My issue with BlackBerry Messenger was that it wasn't updating the Avatars for my contacts, and Remote Backup wasn't working either. Since I wasn't able to do a remote backup, I decided to do a backup to my SDcard. I also have the PIN# of my contacts in my address book as another backup option.

So I ended up removing BBM and reinstalling it. After I restored my contacts from my SDcard, I noticed that none of my contacts had Avatars. Just the default BBM no Avatar icon. Whenever I would try to restore using remote backup, it would just freeze on "Requesting User Profile". It would never get beyond that point. I tried removing all of my contacts one by one. I then sent out a request to add them back. They accepted and were added back to BBM, but they still didn't have an Avatar.

Next I decided to clear the BBM database so I could register my accounts again. So I hooked BBM to my laptop and fired up Desktop Manager. I went to Backup and Restore > Advanced > selected 'BlackBerry Messenger' under Device Databases > Clear

So now when I opened up BBM, it would be like a fresh install. I restored my contacts from the database from my SDcard, and I had my contacts again. Only thing, my contacts still didn't have Avatars. BBM kept saying that my Email account were already configured for remote backup...or something of that nature. BBM would also freeze up at "Requesting User Profile" when trying to do a remote bakcup/restore.

So then, I decided to log into all of Email accounts over the web. I made sure all BBM Restore messages that BBM uses to register those accounts were deleted from the Inbox of those accounts. Then I erased the database of BBM once again using DM. The Emails still wouldn't register with BBM. It claims they were already registered. Yet BBM would still freeze up at "Requesting User Profile". I was getting irritated at this point.

I decided to then log into my BIS account, and remove all of my Email accounts. I then set them up all over again, registered my phone over the network, and resent my service books. Cleared the database in BBM, and restored my contacts from my SDcard. Still no luck.

Since it kept saying that my Email accounts were already configured, I decided to add an Email account that I had never used with BIS nor BBM.
    I also decided this time around not to restore my contacts from the old database from my SDcard, since it kept registering with my old Email accounts. Since my old Email accounts were giving me problems, I wanted to now register it with the new Email account only. I cleared my BBM database once again using DM. This time I registered only the new Email account. Popups also appeared saying that my old Email accounts contained contacts, and if I wanted to regiser those accounts and import my contacts. I clicked Cancel each time for all of those old accounts. My new Email account I added is the only one registered. The old ones are not. Since I had the PIN number of my contacts in my address book, I decided to add each person one by one. I sent a request to all of my contacts. This time when they accepted it, they were added to BBM "With" Avatars!!!!
    I'm not sure if Remote Backup is working or not. When I try to do a Remote Backup it just takes me to a screen that says my address was successfully registered with BlackBerry Messenger. If I try to Restore it, it says "You have configured Remote Backup. Your contact list changes are being automatically backed up and you do not need to use Remote Restore Using Email".

Since everything seems to be working as far as Avatars are concerned, I'm fine with backing up the data to my SDcard. I did two backups. One with 'Auto save contact list changes' enabled, and one with it disabled.

I'm glad to finally have the Avatars updating again.
    08-03-10 12:52 PM
    Ok, so far I've deleted all my BIS accounts. Currently readding folks individually. I can now see avatars for these people. Checking to see if they can see mine. Thanks for all of your suggestions!
    08-03-10 01:23 PM
    Ok, so far I've deleted all my BIS accounts. Currently readding folks individually. I can now see avatars for these people. Checking to see if they can see mine. Thanks for all of your suggestions!
    I'm not sure if deleting the accounts would be necessary, but it's worth a try. It was one of the many steps I took in restoring my Avatars. Removing and re-adding those accounts didn't work for me, but associating BBM with a new account I added to BIS, and disassociating the others did.
    08-03-10 01:26 PM
    This sounds like fixing it all would be an even bigger pain in the arse!
    08-03-10 01:54 PM
    I'm not sure if deleting the accounts would be necessary, but it's worth a try. It was one of the many steps I took in restoring my Avatars. Removing and re-adding those accounts didn't work for me, but associating BBM with a new account I added to BIS, and disassociating the others did.
    I wasn't sure how to disassociate the accounts and I was too tired to check so I just deleted them. After adding them back I made sure to click cancel and I'll back up on my card. So far, so good though.
    08-03-10 02:31 PM
    ok so someone please re-explain this process to me the easy way...i have no idea what BIS is...
    08-03-10 03:25 PM
    cdf3, I've tried everything you listed off there and have been working at this for about 2 hours tonight. No luck on my part. Ugh, why is something always going on with BBM. Lol. 2 weeks ago we were all having message delivery problems, now no avatars.
    08-03-10 08:59 PM
    ok so someone please re-explain this process to me the easy way...i have no idea what BIS is...
    The internet accounts linked to your phone. You have log in onto your phone carrier site where you can manage your internet accounts. Your internet accounts may be used to back up your BBM contacts. He disassociated his old email accounts from his BBM.
    08-04-10 10:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD