Hi , im serving in Afghanistan right now and I wanted to buy a data sim card to use BBM . The guy from the compagny here told me that they have sim card for Data but it will not work for a blackberry .......any idea . I just want to use BBM here no voice or nothing . Help me please
    04-03-11 02:08 AM
    BlackBerry service in Iraq and Afghanistan is now available from wireless carriers Zain Iraq and Roshan. The data service-only plans work with any GSM SIM-unlocked BlackBerry smartphone.
    I got that from Blackberry.com itself.
    Thank you for serving our country.
    Last edited by californiablackberry; 04-03-11 at 02:48 AM.
    soldierBBM likes this.
    04-03-11 02:25 AM
    Great thanks
    04-03-11 02:46 AM
    You could also get bbm via wifi and calls if your carrier supports UMA.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-03-11 03:28 AM
    yes i wanted to get BBm with wifi but I still run on a data plan . wich I dont have back home !
    04-03-11 04:35 AM
    **BBM needs a data plan to work
    04-03-11 04:35 AM
    yes i wanted to get BBm with wifi but I still run on a data plan . wich I dont have back home !
    Sorry, didn't read your post properly.

04-03-11 05:48 AM
    You can do this using any SIM with BB service (from your home country if you already have it). The WiFi takes precedence above the cellular network for transmitting data, but you need the background settings and permissions for access to the RIM servers. You also need a wifi that has not been locked down by an over-zealous network admin.

FWIW last time I did this I was on an offshore oil installation, miles from the nearest cellular signal and connecting data over the installation's wifi and satellite connection. It worked fine... the only problem was slow connections due to satellite latency.
    04-03-11 08:35 AM
    I have an acces to a very good wifi connection , I dont have a sim card ( but i can have one here from an afghan compagny) . How the **** i can have a background setting and permissions for access the RIM servers ? thank !
    04-03-11 10:33 AM
    Here is what I did.
    I have an unlocked torch from att and I'm using it in kuwait. I have the bb plan so all the servicebooks are in my device, I don't have roaming in my plan so whenever I travel I use the bbm over wifi, but my line has to be inside even though it shows no service is available. That's the only way you can use your wifi. It also works if you are in a location that has no service but wifi, that works too

04-03-11 02:11 PM
    In brief, you need to do the regular BB setup, as if you were setting up a new phone with BB service on a cellular network. Register the device, setup an email or two, and send the service books to your phone. That gets it working on BlackBerry data services. Now turn on the wifi and connect/authenticate to your network router. The rest is hidden, you just need to see the WiFi logo go from dimmed to bright white to show BB data is active over the wifi.
    04-14-11 10:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD