How is this even possible? In the last two days, I have received 3 add requests on BBM from people i dont even know--and my PIN/digital barcode PIN isn't posted online. How in the world am I getting these requests from these spam bots who are showing a PIN? Can they spoof a PIN and somehow get it routed thru RIM and delivered to a user? This could be a nightmare for a lot of people if their phones are flooded with requests to add the user (remember the bbm stress test?).

Here are two images of the requests---they came in at the exact same time this morning

shawnbarton.com/crackberry/Capture11_0_1.jpg

shawnbarton.com/crackberry/Capture11_0_10.jpg
    01-18-10 10:46 AM
    Have you tried sending a pin message to those PINs? Doesn't really state them even being a "spambot"
    01-18-10 11:06 AM
    You are not alone. I had recently started a BBM group called PoeyParties.It was a Group for people to explore the new BBM functions such. More specifically the Group function. After some time I had complaints of failing blackberries and more specifically, picture spaming. In a few cases the persons media card was filled with multiple pictures (some vulgar). To remedy the problem the users/members wiped their media cards. I am starting a thread called "STOP BBM SPAMERS..." Feel free to join in the convo. You can PM me too. Like you, I want to get to the bottom of this and make the BBM a productive and fun place.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-10 12:02 PM
    You are not alone. I had recently started a BBM group called PoeyParties.It was a Group for people to explore the new BBM functions such. More specifically the Group function. After some time I had complaints of failing blackberries and more specifically, picture spaming. In a few cases the persons media card was filled with multiple pictures (some vulgar). To remedy the problem the users/members wiped their media cards. I am starting a thread called "STOP BBM SPAMERS..." Feel free to join in the convo. You can PM me too. Like you, I want to get to the bottom of this and make the BBM a productive and fun place.

How can someone do that from just a PIN?
    01-18-10 12:18 PM
    How can someone do that from just a PIN?
    they must have been in the bbm group pictures are stored on your media card
    01-18-10 12:30 PM
    they must have been in the bbm group pictures are stored on your media card
    Yes they were part of the group. I forgot to mention though that upon reviewing some of the pics on a PC it seemed as though some contained malicious files. This is not first hand but not the first time I've heard this either. The point is BBM is being used for more than just chatting.

01-18-10 06:11 PM
    Have you tried sending a pin message to those PINs? Doesn't really state them even being a "spambot"
    The add request I received yesterday I PIN messaged three times asking who it was--and no reply was ever sent.

The two add requests I got this morning came at the exact same time--so something just seemed fishy so I didn't reply to them because I don't want to flag my PIN as being hot if it truly is a spam bot.
    01-18-10 07:20 PM
    And I just got a 4th request from a SPAM bot asking me to add them to their blackberry messenger.

This is insane--how the heck are they doing this when it shows me the supposed PIN number of the requester.

Their profile name was a whole bunch of Wingding fonts though--so i know its not someone I know trying to add me
    01-18-10 07:51 PM
    They might have come through to BBM via e-mail.

BBM requests can either be by PIN or by e-mail.
    01-18-10 08:33 PM
    They might have come through to BBM via e-mail.

BBM requests can either be by PIN or by e-mail.

How? How do you send a PIN request to a blackberry from an email address? And how then does it show on my blackberry as the PIN number the request came from? Is it spoofed?
    01-18-10 11:23 PM
    try uninstalling BBM and reinstall?

I probably wouldn't backup, just right down your real BBM friends and manually add them, just incase.
    01-19-10 06:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD