What's the point?

Is there a reason you folks who use it do so?

In the age of text messaging, Yahoo messenger etc. why do you or should I choose BBM?

Don't get me wrong I love love love my BB 9900 but I only know a few people (literally) who have BB's and I have recently shared my BBM I'd with them and 2 of them replied they don't use it. One indicated they have never even opened it because they do see the need.

So ultimately I don't really have a "need" either since I only know a few BB users, but the concept is interesting to me and I'm curious to know what the draw is and why so many people (seemingly, on here) are using it.
    04-13-12 07:52 AM
    well..apparently it uses less data and is less of a drain on your battery...i have no evidence to back this up.
    But!!! If you dont know anyone else using it, it is completely pointless.
    Hopes this helps.
    04-13-12 08:00 AM
    BBM is nicer, cheaper, more efficient, less formal (it feels right to carry on the same convo the next day rather than exchanging pleasentries again), worldwide cheapness, send pics cheaply - voice notes, bbm linked apps, we can see an R for read & D for delivered messages.......that's why I prefer it over text messages.

Oh also for new people we meet, its easier at first to exchange PINS than numbers. Numbers follow later.
    oz_insatiable likes this.
    04-13-12 08:29 AM
    I believe BBM is more secure than a regular text message since it goes through BB servers.
    04-13-12 08:32 AM
    @Pathfinder1, start using BB messenger and you'll change your mind pretty quickly.

if you don't have lots of folks using BB, it might seem slow at the start but your BB messenger list will stack up pretty soon

BBM is always on, you dont have to ask your friend to log on. text messaging doesn't hold a light to BBM
    deezy87 likes this.
    04-13-12 08:36 AM
    just start using it..

a) you KNOW if your message was delivered
    b) you KNOW if your message was read

if you want a conversation with someone its the only sensible choice..
    04-13-12 08:44 AM
    i have 110 contacts on bbm, nd they all use it. I chat everyday with a lot of people. BBM is more than a messenger, its like a social network. I also think it is more reliable, because i also use whatsapp and 60 percent of the time my message does not deliver.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    04-13-12 08:46 AM
    What's the point?

In the age of text messaging, Yahoo messenger etc. why do you or should I choose BBM?
    It may not be all that obvious to some of us with full featured cell plans, but BBM offers a fixed cost for pretty well unlimited texting. This is why it is popular with teenagers, emerging markets, and areas where Pay as You Go is popular. The carriers can offer a data plan that includes unlimited BBM and access to the social sites such as facebook, and the other messenger services for a flat fee.

In addition, BBM offers international texting at no additional costs. The kids in our neighborhood all use BlackBerries to keep in touch with exchange students after the exchange student returns home.

There are also a few other features of BBM that bypass the extra fees of a regular text, such as attaching pictures and files to a BBM. There is no extra fee for this, it just uses your data.
    04-13-12 08:55 AM
    worldwide cheapness, send pics cheaply
    ??? Details on the worldwide part please.

And I do use it with 2 people. I agree that it's got some features that I genuinely like such as those noted.

I guess since I know so few people using it it's usefulness is limited this far. Truth is I do like it over standard texting and the Ymessenger.
    04-13-12 08:58 AM
    110 contacts, did I read above? WTF?!
    04-13-12 09:07 AM
    It's free, I don't have to pay for a txt plan
    I can send pics, etc no charge
    I can view other status real time
    I can set my own status
    It's fast
    I know for sure if my msg has been received/read
    I can send my location and the recipient can have their BB give directions to get to me
    I can share music
    I can chat in groups
    In groups we can share a calendar and multiple To Do lists
    It's becoming more and more integratedvwith key apps (Facebook, Twitter, groupon, bb travel, etc, etc) every day
    It's way more secure than texting

Other than that, I don't use it at all.
    04-13-12 09:28 AM
    BBM is no longer an instant messenger, it's a social platform/ecosystem. You're either on it or you're not.

Same as if you're on facebook/twitter or you're not.
    04-13-12 09:40 AM
    110 contacts, did I read above? WTF?!
    It's not that far fetched, here's mine and I keep mine trimmed.
    04-13-12 09:43 AM
    Bbm is reliable. You're always logged on, and so is everybody else. I find that the other clients (YIM, googletalk, wlm, aim) are often logging me off, requiring that I continually check to see if I'm still signed in or if I should sign in again. What a pita! Reliability. It's a big thing. Bbm is just better. It's like having to continually wake up your phone to see if you have any messages (other platforms) versus simply being notified by the red LED (BlackBerry).
    04-13-12 09:50 AM
    I have never used it no one I know still has a berry except me. Hopefully rim is going through with a app for ios and android so I can actually use it

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    04-13-12 09:55 AM
    I started using BBM because my company didn't have a Texting package on our BlackBerry's everyone used mobile phones to read emails and call people, the average age of my colleagues was 10 years my senior, they had not been bitten with the texting bug.

After using BBM for a little while I started adding Random people, or other business people who wanted to try out this feature of their new phones.

What BBM did was create a great way to chat internationally with friends, customers, colleagues, and stangers alike, without major costs.
    IF someone was used to texting, and never left their country, I can see the BBM draw being less exciting.

What BBM also brings to the table is picture sharing, chat groups, voice note sharing, file transfer, it brings much of the appeal that early IRC chat rooms had, which many people didn't see the point of, but flourished.

Today, I use BBM every day, as much or more so than I use email

- I keep in contact with my family whom before BBM we spoke mostly on special occasions, now we comment on eachothers Status updates, send out random hello's when I'm going to be in their cities, BBM is bringing the family closer together by making is easier to communicate, and easier to REMEMBER to reach out and say hello in our busy schedules.
    - I keep contact with physical friends, people I've known for years outside of technology, again, since University we've spread around, have family's, and an assortment of different career paths, BBM makes sure we keep abreast of eachother, before BBM there was occasional texting, maybe a phone call here and there, but BBM keeps you aware of the people you should be keeping in touch with.
    - I make contact and keep contact with BBM friends, I've made MANY MANY BBM friends over the years, some dare I say I loved. I've physically met more than 30 people who I first came in contact with via a pin sharing thread or app. these people I talk to almost daily, about an assortment of topics, from spouses, to pets, to jobs, to encouragement about getting the next promotion, to cars, and technology, so many topics, with people from so many different walks of life, I have learned so much about so many topics because of the familiar nature BBM brings to a conversation with the display picture, the glimmer into ones mood through status updates, and emoticons.

I have 122 contacts today, 4 active groups, and 61 Open chats with BBM
    04-13-12 10:24 AM
    Been using BBM for awhile. Love it. You either get it or you don't. It would be like asking why someone else likes a particular app as opposed to another one. I admit, it took me awhile to warm up to groups. (Not a fan of the 30 person limit, as I sometimes wish it were higher. Maybe 40 - 50). Do a lot of communicating through status updates and Social Feeds so I don't always have to keep BBM open. For the most part, what BBM does, can be done (some features) on other platforms, but none do it as well as BBM. Compared to a BBM, a Text msg is like sending out a smoke signal. We use GTalk for work, but really most of us just use BBM and not even bother with GTalk.

Another bonus for BBM is networking. I know that this point may not seem relevant with some people stating their BBM lists are shrinking (I don't know, if you don't talk to anyone, then it will probably be no surprise when you have no one to talk to) I have a huge number of contacts from LinkedIn, various peers in my field. It's very easy to drop someone a quick BBM and ask a question, just say 'Hey', or remind someone about something (when it has to be done quickly, quietly).

None of the xplatform IM apps work as well as BBM. I use it to stay in touch with family, friends, and co-workers. Great icebreaker when meeting some business types downtown for a pint or two

450+ contacts(I know it's a lot, but I am a self proclaimed BBM addict) 7 groups(I was in more, but damn, groups destroy the battery for some reason), 48 open chats. Keep the option to auto save on any changes cause my list changes many times a week.
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    04-13-12 10:49 AM
    Ok Fair enough...

I did not know that the BBM was free Internationally. This curous since I deploy and have friends who have deployed overseas or work outside the states..

I also didn't realize that there were very many people who do not have the unlimited texting in their carrier plans. I thought that was a thing of the past.

belfastdispatcher- Yours is a curious observation about it being a "social platform ecosystem."

deRusett & Oniberry- Yours are excellent responses as they elaborate on the Groups/ FB & Twitter connections.

My thoughts on this are now around these concepts of connecting the social network aspects and the connections mentioned with unknown folks who have BB's and connect for the more social and networking aspects.

Thanks to all. this has put the BBM in a new light for me.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    04-13-12 01:35 PM
    Yep, never liked/used BBM on my 97XX's. But somehow on my 9900's my BBM is one of the most used apps nowadays.
    04-13-12 01:39 PM

I also didn't realize that there were very many people who do not have the unlimited texting in their carrier plans. I thought that was a thing of the past.
    unlimited texting for North America Wide for me would be $15 dollars a month more on my Plan, for Just Canada $10 / month, as well as an addition $200-300 per year for adding texting packages to my plan while I travel to the US.

BBM costs me approximately $30-$50 per year extra for adding data when I travel to the US.

In reality I think most people who are paying for unlimited SMS packages and who have a contact circle who are smartphone users are being stupid with their money, take off the texting package, ensure your contacts are using some sort of cross platform IM software, or in my case, everyone is on BlackBerry so we BBM, then you save your $5-7-10-??? per month on SMS usage, I would say paying by the text I probably spend between $1 and $3 because of how few SMS's I send
    04-13-12 02:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD