I can't seem to find the advantage to either and was wondering what everyone else is doing. Do you use bbm 5 for your SMS needs or the default SMS app? I am running the .238 hybrid.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-09 09:46 PM
    I use SMS for my non-BB friends.

Otherwise I use BBM. No 160 char limit. Location requests.
    10-11-09 09:51 PM
    The BBM sms didnt work for me for several of my friends....so default SMS for now
    10-11-09 09:54 PM
    Well they are two separate animals. The BBM5 app can only be used pin to pin or blackberry to blackberry. I use it solely with my friends and business contacts with blackberrys absolutely. SMS is of course the only way to text non blackberry phones. New with BB5 if you happen to have a pin associated with a contact that persons bbm's AND sms messages will appear in bbm5. In short they are both necessary for me depending on who I need to message.
    What I am asking is should I use the SMS feature of bbm 5 of just stick with the default SMS app. I am starting to think there is no difference between the two as far as features go

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-09 10:04 PM
    mcp770,
    The official BBM5.0, when used in OS 5.0, integrates SMS.
    You can add non BB contacts to BBM and have conversations/chats. Only they are SMS instead of the usual BBM instant messaging.

rushringleader,
    I've had some trouble with SMS in BBM5, sometimes when I click on a SMS contact in BBM to start a new chat I get the menu and cannot start a chat.
    I find that I have to use the default SMS app, which is OK because most of my messaging is done in BBM.
    I am hoping it is because I am using 5.0.0.238, and that it will be fixed when OS 5.0 is officially released.
    10-11-09 11:22 PM
    I thought I was clear..sorry. What I was trying to say was if all my text destinations had blackberry's then I would use BBM since it has no character limit. With that said I use it when I can. If you are wanting to make a choice of one or the other for some reason than I would say use the default sms app so you can text everyone. Again you understand BBM can only communicate with other Blackberry's correct? It isn't able to message regular non blackberry phones at this point.....hence the difference.
    mcp770,
    The official BBM5.0, when used in OS 5.0, integrates SMS.
    You can add non BB contacts to BBM and have conversations/chats. Only they are SMS instead of the usual BBM instant messaging.
    PWND by a noob...

I use the BBM solely for conversing with other BB users, If I used it for SMS also then the list of contacts would be way to long for me to go through easily
    10-11-09 11:34 PM
    I have been trying to use the new SMS feature of BBM5 since it dropped. I am thinking of going back to just the default SMS app, because BBM5 seems to still have some bugs with the SMS portion of it. It doesn't seem to sort the SMS by activity, and it doesn't clear the new message asterisk in the chat bar. Hopefully RIM will come out with an update soon, because I enjoy the fact of having them all in one app.
    10-12-09 08:15 AM
    I deleted my posts. I didn't play around with the .33 release enough. I see what you guys are talking about now. Learn something new every day.
    10-12-09 10:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD