Well I know how to do it and i'll post that real quick incase anyone comes across this post thinking that is what this is about...but its not so skip down for further...

1) open BBM 5.0
    2) Click Add Contact
    3) Save Barcode (bottom option)
    4) import that .png to your computer and then upload it to Crackberry.com (i changed mine in Photoshop to a .gif but i'm not sure if that is necessary)

Ok so my issue... I've got my barcode as an avatar. I've tried scanning other peoples barcodes but ... it never scans. Now, the larger images i'm able to scan fine when people put them up in a post (larger file size) but as the 80x80 avatar image (or 100x100 profile size) i'm unable to scan them. Is this the same for everyone else?
    08-08-09 06:32 PM
    I'm able to scan the barcodes people use as their avatar without a problem. The only thing that you have to remember is that it takes a little bit longer for the camera to focus on the smaller images.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-09 07:29 PM
    Hrmm... just tried again no such luck... what kind of monitor you using? i'm on a laptop... macbook.
    08-08-09 07:33 PM
    I had better luck on my regular computer, rather than my laptop scanning the avatar barcodes. It took a while for the cam to scan it, but it went through finally.
    08-08-09 07:37 PM
    tried on my MacBook and my wifes HP Tablet and neither work. Must be a monitor thing. I guess if you want people to be able to scan you, you should include a link to a larger image as a general rule?
    08-08-09 07:43 PM
    tried on my MacBook and my wifes HP Tablet and neither work. Must be a monitor thing. I guess if you want people to be able to scan you, you should include a link to a larger image as a general rule?
    It definitely works better with the larger image. You could always post it within your reply on CB.
    08-08-09 07:45 PM
    Hrmm... just tried again no such luck... what kind of monitor you using? i'm on a laptop... macbook.
    I'm just tried it with a dell laptop and like I said in my first post, it works but it just takes a little bit longer for the camera to focus on the smaller images. I would just set the barcode as your profile picture instead of your avatar since it is allowed a bigger picture size.

08-08-09 07:54 PM
    This is true. Super Large Sig Picture ... coming soon lol
    08-08-09 07:54 PM
    I'm just tried it with a dell laptop and like I said in my first post, it works but it just takes a little bit longer for the camera to focus on the smaller images. I would just set the barcode as your profile picture instead of your avatar since it is allowed a bigger picture size.

but as the 80x80 avatar image (or 100x100 profile size) i'm unable to scan them.
    Does not work for me.
    08-08-09 07:55 PM
    Just tried yours and it works for me off my HP 15.6 laptop.
    08-08-09 08:13 PM
    well darn. lol

Guess its user error, or my screens. Do you guys have the high gloss glass like screens? and how close are you holding your BB when it is scanning? do you have just the barcode (which on mine is blurry) or can you also see the ends of the name or anything else? I did just put a "scan my barcode" in my siggy anyway.
    08-08-09 08:15 PM
    well darn. lol

Guess its user error, or my screens. Do you guys have the high gloss glass like screens? and how close are you holding your BB when it is scanning? do you have just the barcode (which on mine is blurry) or can you also see the ends of the name or anything else? I did just put a "scan my barcode" in my siggy anyway.
    I like the scan siggy. Cool.
    08-08-09 08:19 PM
    ive read a few places that it may work better if you save as a jpeg file instead of gif
    08-08-09 08:22 PM
    ive read a few places that it may work better if you save as a jpeg file instead of gif
    i'll give that a shot and repost my avatar image as the .jpeg. lets see what happens...
    08-08-09 08:31 PM
    i can't even get the .jpeg small enough to fit on CB as in size of the file. If others can scan them then fine lol. you all can just request me instead of me requesting you lol
    08-08-09 08:41 PM
    Hey Guzman, why don't you try using the built in zoom feature on your Macbook to zoom in the bar code you want to scan. You have to enable the function first.

System Preferences
    Universal Access
    Click on Seeing Tab
    Zoom On

Then just place the mouse over the bar code and press command (apple key) option and the "=" keys simultaneously.
    08-08-09 09:01 PM
    Thanks Art! Hate I had to enable to Old Timer function on my MB but it works! lol (just kidding about old timer function)
    08-08-09 09:16 PM
    Glad I could help! I have a 30" Cinema HD Display as well as a 17" MacBook Pro, so I tend to use the Old Timer function a lot!
    08-08-09 09:38 PM
    lol! I've gotten a lot of invites but then you all are cancelling before we can be friends. my feelings are hurt now lol

...just when you think you're on the brink of popularity...
    08-08-09 09:41 PM
    I did it on my netbook it worked perfect......

05-01-10 09:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD