07-19-10 06:57 PM
38 12
tools
    There are "open beta tests" and "closed beta tests". This one must be a "closed beta test" which is limited to a finite number of participants. Those that do have it should run it in to the ground and report any findings. Take one for the team! I'd also let them know about features you would like to see in the final version since you may have their ear...
    07-15-10 11:14 AM
    Last I knew, BBM was an open program. Did something change in the last month?
    07-15-10 11:32 AM
    They may have closed off the Beta to new users for any number of reasons. Usually when this happens (With other software I've worked with), it means they are no longer needing new feedback because they feel ready to start polishing it up and pushing it out as a final version.

Either that, or it's possible the BBM Beta runs through a special server for some reason and they have reached capacity. That's not uncommon either. We have some of our Analysts here that participate in the Beta program for one of our Data providers and their accounts connect to a different set of servers than our regular accounts.
    07-15-10 12:46 PM
    They may have closed off the Beta to new users for any number of reasons. Usually when this happens (With other software I've worked with), it means they are no longer needing new feedback because they feel ready to start polishing it up and pushing it out as a final version.

Either that, or it's possible the BBM Beta runs through a special server for some reason and they have reached capacity. That's not uncommon either. We have some of our Analysts here that participate in the Beta program for one of our Data providers and their accounts connect to a different set of servers than our regular accounts.
    Thanks for the info. They made a big deal not too long ago about it being an open program, so I was surprised it's closed. But, I didn't give it a whole lot of thought.

Hopefully the final version is coming soon.
    07-15-10 01:13 PM
    From the beta HELP file:

What beta programs are available?

Some beta programs are available to any member of BlackBerry Beta Zone; and, for other programs, only a small portion of the BlackBerry Beta Zone membership will be eligible to join. Here's an overview of the different types of beta programs available in BlackBerry Beta Zone.

Unlimited. Any member of BlackBerry Beta Zone is eligible for these programs and there is no limit to the number of participants in the program. A good example is when an app, such as Twitter for BlackBerry is made available in both BlackBerry Beta Zone and BlackBerry App World TM Test Center. These programs do not require an authentication key to download software and are widely available to any interested member. Think of these programs as a "sneak peek" at software that will shortly be released. Feedback from the beta program will help develop future enhancements.

Limited. Any member of BlackBerry Beta Zone is eligible for these programs but there is a limit to the number of participants in the program. A good example is when an app, such as BlackBerry Messenger, is made available to a limited number of BlackBerry BetaZone members. These programs do require an authentication key to download software and are limited by the number of authentication keys available. Feedback from the beta program will help develop improvements to the product.

Invitation. These programs are offered by invitation to eligible members of BlackBerry Beta Zone. A good example is enterprise software such as BlackBerry Enterprise Server or an operating system maintenance release for a specific BlackBerry smartphone on certain carriers. These programs do require an authentication key to download software and are limited by the number of authentication keys available. These programs have eligibility requirements (such as BlackBerry smartphone model, carrier, country and so on) that limit use of the product. Feedback from the beta program will help develop improvements to the product.
    07-16-10 03:02 PM
    i understand that you have to wait 48 hours for the keycode for the new bbm beta, but where do u sign up for the new bbm to make sure you will get it? an earlier post said that they won't just send you the keycode because you're apart of the blackberry beta program? please help thanks!
    07-18-10 05:41 PM
    Looks like part of why the closed it off might be the fact they updated to 5.0.1.32.

I would think they would give us running the 5.0.1.17 a chance to update to the new version, see how we do, then MAYBE open it up a little more???

Then again, maybe not. As andreseng posted, it is limited. Like I had posted before, maybe the Beta users relay off of a separate server and they have limited capacity on it?? (Pure speculation, but based on 15 years in the IT field working with many different Beta and Alpha programs.)
    07-19-10 09:51 AM
    i understand that you have to wait 48 hours for the keycode for the new bbm beta, but where do u sign up for the new bbm to make sure you will get it? an earlier post said that they won't just send you the keycode because you're apart of the blackberry beta program? please help thanks!
    When you go to the Beta program page, look for the program's you are eligible for.

If it does not show up there, you are not eligible for it and there is no "link" to send you.

It seems that they have cut off new enrollments in the BBM beta (See my post on speculating why, as well as andreseng's post showing it is LIMITED).

Just keep watching your Eligible programs page on the Beta site for it to show up. If it does, you are in... If not, I don't know of anything other than emailing the Beta Support team and promising your first born Son to them. (Could be Worse... Apple makes you promise you Soul and to cut off your LEFT HAND!!! )
    07-19-10 09:55 AM
    When you go to the Beta program page, look for the program's you are eligible for.

If it does not show up there, you are not eligible for it and there is no "link" to send you.

It seems that they have cut off new enrollments in the BBM beta (See my post on speculating why, as well as andreseng's post showing it is LIMITED).

Just keep watching your Eligible programs page on the Beta site for it to show up. If it does, you are in... If not, I don't know of anything other than emailing the Beta Support team and promising your first born Son to them. (Could be Worse... Apple makes you promise you Soul and to cut off your LEFT HAND!!! )
    Your signature has gotten me interested wildly, and I'm reading up and looking for a Storm 2 app for it and also trying to finally fix my slow GPS Storm2.
    07-19-10 10:52 AM
    Yay! I lost .17 when I wiped my device and reinstalled my OS. I just got the email to download .32. It worked fine since I saved my keycode.
    07-19-10 01:16 PM
    Got notice that 5.0.1.32 has updated but still haven't received code....what gives???? And yes its in my programs since early june...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-10 05:47 PM
    Got notice that 5.0.1.32 has updated but still haven't received code....what gives???? And yes its in my programs since early june...

You will use the same keycode you used for the beta version you installed in June.

07-19-10 06:54 PM
    You will use the same keycode you used for the beta version you installed in June.

That would be great if they would have sent it to me.....

07-19-10 06:57 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD