Hi, I have a BB Pearl and I am really hoping that someone would read this and help me. I have done a battery pull and the smiley face it still there, I have opened conversations, ended conversations, etc... The smiley face is still there saying that I have a new BB messenger message and I don't.

This happened after I had done a upgrade for my BB messenger, after I rebotted it then the smiley face appeared and never went away.

PLEASE help
    01-29-10 10:23 PM
    A battery pull usually solves things. Have you tried another one? You said you did an upgrade, is it to the newest version?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-10 01:14 AM
    Have you checked you saved messages folder by chance?

01-30-10 11:15 AM
    I've had this problem before. I have no idea if it's the default setting to have BBMs show on the main message list, but even if it's "read" in BBM proper, sometimes I need to go to Mark Prior As Opened on the main message list to get the notification to go away even after doing a battery pull. I have no idea why it happens and I honestly can't remember if the problem was fixable that way on my Pearl, but thought I'd throw my 2 cents in - it gets annoying to look at it.
    01-30-10 11:19 AM
    I have removed all of my email's, including the saved one, and I have done a couple of battery pull's. It definitely isn't the end of the world, but kathryn0 your right it does get annoying to look at.

Reparkable, yes it is the latest version of BB messenger, is there a way to go back to the previous version? Do you think maybe that is the problem?
    01-30-10 03:06 PM
    Vikki, I think this problem is related to the latest version of bbm. I have had the phantom icon showing up for almost a month and I really get annoyed by it. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the same version and that does not help.
    I think the idea of going back to a previous version may be the best idea.
    I however do not know where to get a previous version.
    Someone will come along and tell us!
    01-30-10 03:44 PM
    Thank you jaydee5799, in a way I am glad that it isn't just me.

Fingers and toes crossed someone comes alone soon with the magic solution
    01-30-10 04:00 PM
    a battery pull fixes this for me
    01-30-10 07:16 PM
    Well then, you are a lucky person because believe me...I have had this icon for one month and I pull the battery on my Curve at least twice a day. THE ICON DOES NOT DISAPPEAR from a battery pull. We are not crazy. This is a real RIM issue and a simple battery pull does not do it.

I wish the rest of us were so lucky.
    01-30-10 07:20 PM
    It's still there I lost count of how many battery pulls I have done, and I no longer keep ANY messages on my phone.

Thank you jaydee5799 I am SO happy to know that it isn't just me :P
    02-01-10 09:55 PM
    Vikki, Others have suggested re-installing bbm. I did that but re-installed the newest one...57. So, of course, the problem came back!
    I think maybe the key is to find 5.0.0.33 and go back to that version. However, I am willing now to put up with the icon for the ability to PREVIEW pics as I send/receive a lots of pics through bbm. If you end up re-installing, let me know how it goes.
    Good luck!
    We can only hope RIM creates a fix for this version soon.
    02-02-10 06:16 AM
    Sounds like a possible mix up of receiving messages while upgrading the software maybe, have you two tried backing up your BB on DM and restoring after wiping the device?

02-02-10 06:35 AM
    Do tell if you choose to try that and it still brings it back, PM me and ill get back yto this thread.

02-02-10 06:39 AM
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have not tried a full wipe and re-install since this happened.

Partly because of laziness; it takes me hours to tweak all my settings and programs the way I want; and partly because I have had my Curve for almost two years and I am waiting for the Essex to drop...soon!!!! I almost think I will be switching phones before I need to re-install OS...

However, a wipe is probably what will fix it. If I get my motivation going, I will try and post back.
    02-02-10 06:48 AM
    I don't think a full reinstallation of the OS is needed, just a restore of a backup .ipd using DM after using the factory wipe on your BB, (Options-Security Options-General Settings-Menu-Wipe Handheld). Don't get rid of 3rd party apps tho, you get the option too. And if the notification is gone, restore your device using DM. And if it comes back after the restore, I got ideas.

02-02-10 09:06 AM
    I will try this tonight after I have everything backed up, for some odd reason my BB recongizes my media card, but it won't give me the option all the time to save anything on it except for pictures. I will let you know if I am still having the same problem. Thank you!
    02-02-10 10:14 AM
    I've had this problem before. just do a CLEAN reinstallation. HOW?

a.delete your BBM and restart your device after you delete it
    b.go to http://blackberry.com/mesenger from your blackberry to download the latest version of BBM
    c.restart your device after the installation complete

good luck
    02-05-10 11:30 AM
    OMG I've posted this 400 times, don't people read previous threads? .57 has a multitude of documented bugs, one of which is the fact that sometimes new message notifications will stay forever. Battery pulls do not solve the problem.

You should not be running .57 if you don't want this "feature." You should revert to .33. There is another thread here with the link which I'm not going to bother to find.

Please stop contributing to the spread of bad information!
    02-05-10 09:45 PM
    Actually I am new on here, and I tried to look for other titles with similar problems I guess I didn't look good enough. Now I just feel like an *****, thanks Furballz
    02-07-10 07:17 PM
    For anyone who may stumble upon this, I ended up uninstalling BB messenger and reinstalling it and POOF! The icon disappeared. Thank you for everyone who had responded with useful tips and ideas, I appreciate it.
    03-03-10 06:55 PM
    I was also successful in deleting the phantom icon by hooking my bb to my pc, clearing the bbm database and reloading my contacts from my email.

It works! Permanently. So for all those saying do a full wipe, or uninstall BBM, or go back to an older version that you don't want...etc, there IS an easier way! Try this first! you lose nothing but your contacts which will come back if you backup first.
    03-06-10 09:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD